TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Jan-2011, 5:15 PM   #1
trijon04

help with antenna selection

I am currently using a cheap rabbit ear antenna with the converter box on my kitchen. I recently bought a Samsung LED for my basement for movie watching but I realized I want to watch TV shows from time to time. Amazon has a wide selection of antennas and I am confused w/c one to get as I do not understand the VHF and UHF lingo. Do I have to get another converter box for this TV? here is the reference guide to my address:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3cf4dd866b72ff
If anybody here can help, I appreciate it very much!
trijon04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Jan-2011, 5:26 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Your report is not specific to your location, but if it is representative of your situation, a basic all channel antenna such as a Winegard HD7015 http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...0Antennas&sku= aimed at 63° per your compass, will provide a comprehensive line-up of programing. The signal will be strong enough to split up to 4 ways without any amplification.

You new TV should be equipped with a digital OTA tuner.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Jan-2011, 5:42 PM   #3
trijon04

GroundUrMast,
thanks for your response, what do you think of the antenna direct. their rep asked me to go to this Antenna Point website and the site gave me a recom( Clearstream C2) based on my address. I was skeptical about it that is why I went to your forum.
Old 19-Jan-2011, 6:01 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

The antenna "suggestion" from Antennapoint is relatively unsophisticated (you'd be surprised ...) and is only intended to cover the "majority" of local stations.

If you want a comprehensive analysis and recommendation, call or email us with your specifics. YMWV based on who you get...

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Jan-2011, 6:10 PM   #5
trijon04

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
The antenna "suggestion" from Antennapoint is relatively unsophisticated (you'd be surprised ...) and is only intended to cover the "majority" of local stations.

If you want a comprehensive analysis and recommendation, call or email us with your specifics. YMWV based on who you get...
my husband already went to your company for help we have the clearstream2 and 5 . Wit clearstream 5 no reception at all, with clearstream 2 reception was okay with the hookup on the converter box. your antenna cannot get signal with our Samsung LED w/out the converter box. My husband just gave up and asked me to find an alternative antenna.
Old 19-Jan-2011, 6:43 PM   #6
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
Originally Posted by trijon04 View Post
my husband already went to your company for help we have the clearstream2 and 5 . Wit clearstream 5 no reception at all, with clearstream 2 reception was okay with the hookup on the converter box. your antenna cannot get signal with our Samsung LED w/out the converter box. My husband just gave up and asked me to find an alternative antenna.
There is always the possibility that there is an undiagnosed fault somewhere in the system that is causing the problem. Based on your generic location, the C2 plus C5 combination should be a completely appropriate solution for your major stations from New York City.

If you or your husband would like to dig deeper into your reception issues, please send me your contact information by private message and I'll be happy to work with you towards a resolution. I will take the liberty if sending my contact info to you via a private message.

Properly configured, a new TV set should be capable of receiving digital broadcasts without resorting to an external converter box unless the new TV has a substandard or defective tuner (it happens...) We do, however, get many calls from customers who have missed one or more necessary steps that are needed to use a new TV with an antenna. Usually, these are a simple matter of switching the menu option from CABLE to ANTENNA/AIR/etc and re-running the scan for channels routine.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 19-Jan-2011 at 6:48 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Jan-2011, 10:18 PM   #7
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

It is Ok to use 1 antenna , a Winegard HD7694P point the antenna at about 58 degrees magnetic compass . Here is how to point Tv antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html . Antennas Direct does not sell a All Channel Antenna , thats why they sell people 2 antennas. Also read and understand this about Real Digital Tv Channels and Virtual Digital Tv Channels , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Jan-2011, 10:50 PM   #8
GroundUrMast

At this point we are all working with data that may or may not be representative of the real conditions at trijon04's location. From the posted TV Fool Report:
Quote:
WARNING: Address was only resolved to city level and might not be that close to your actual location. For more accurate results, try entering a specific address or coordinates.
A report based on the actual site location may look similar or it may show dramatically different signal conditions.

I agree with John, a single combination antenna should easily serve in the situation represented in the first posted TVF report. The antenna I suggested would provide reception of the low VHF channels shown in the report. Still, the Antennas Direct combination should be quite capable (based on the original TVF report).

It sounds as if ADTech is willing to help sort out the difficulty using the Antennas Direct products. That's the logical next step. AD has shown a sincere willingness to help their customers, I would certainly recommend you let them have a chance to help you in this case.

I would be cautious about buying another antenna without first working with ADTech, and also running a TVF report based on the site address or coordinates.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 20-Jan-2011 at 12:39 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote