TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 11-Aug-2016, 5:59 PM   #1
ybloggers1

Which antenna is right for me?

Map/Radar plot:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cbe90a1feb3f

I really want to cut the cord, but would like to still get OTA channels. I called Mohu and they said none of their antennas would work for me given my location, so I'm not sure whether OTA can work for me at all. If it can, what type of antenna should I get? Assume I am tech illiterate, so the simpler the explanation, the better for me.

Any suggestions and advice based on my plot are welcomed! Thanks.
ybloggers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Aug-2016, 6:48 PM   #2
Nascarken
Banned

Good day Ybloggers1, I looked at your tvfool report, and I notice that you have some high and low VHF tower's and uhf a z z well, I think the channel master cm5016 ,M C M part#30-2655,& the channel master ROTOR,Will work FINE for you go to MCMELECTRONICS.COM FOR ALL OF YOUR ANTENNA PROJECT'S , AND THEY HAVE GOOD TEACK SEPORT ALL SO,AND THEIR PHONE NUMBER IS(1-800-543-4330,
Nascarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Aug-2016, 8:19 PM   #3
Jake V

Your signal strength is not fantastic. Therefore, it's highly likely you'll need a large-ish outdoor antenna mounted on the roof.

You have signals in VHF-LO, VHF-HI and UHF. All of the Philadelphia stations are at magnetic 65 degrees on a compass (Northeast).

I'd probably go with something like a Channel Master Advantage 60 or 100 or a Wineguard Platinum Series HD Lo-VHF/H-VHF/UHF Antenna 8200U for a single antenna solution (aimed at 65 degrees on a compass).

Depending on the number of televisions and the length of the cable run an amplifier might be warranted.

I noticed that you chose 10 foot for your antenna height. Is that what you are considering? My expectation is that in your area an antenna mounted outdoors at 20 or 30 feet would provide much better reception than one at 10 feet.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Aug-2016, 8:29 PM   #4
Nascarken
Banned

Ha Jake the winegard 8200u is a monster the channel master antenna is a little bit smaller than the winegard 8200u,and a lot less money,
Old 12-Aug-2016, 12:59 PM   #5
ybloggers1

Thanks for the recommendations, Jake! 10 ft. was the default - I'm open to 20/30 ft., would just need to hire an installer. Thanks again!
Old 12-Aug-2016, 1:02 PM   #6
Nascarken
Banned

I will install it for you for $500Dollars let me know
Old 13-Aug-2016, 11:03 PM   #7
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
It appears that you have a choice of the Philadelphia and Lancaster stations, but you are going to need an all-channel antenna because WPVI, the ABC station in Philly is on real channel 6, a low band station. Low Band VHF can be deceptively difficult to get, because most modern antennas omit low-band reception.

If this was my choice, I would use a Winegard HD-7082 antenna mounted as high on your roof as practical, and include a rotator, so that you can turn the antenna between the Lancaster and Philly channels. I would also include a preamplifier, such as an AntennasDirect PA18. This combination will allow you access to the Phily and Lancaster stations. Of course, if you aim solely at Philly, you will get the major network stations.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Aug-2016, 12:25 AM   #8
Nascarken
Banned

Hi Tiger bangs in Springfield mass I AM curious about what you are useing for an antenna set-up I would like to see a picture of it or I come down the mountain side to see it LoL
Old 15-Aug-2016, 6:57 PM   #9
ybloggers1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerbangs View Post
It appears that you have a choice of the Philadelphia and Lancaster stations, but you are going to need an all-channel antenna because WPVI, the ABC station in Philly is on real channel 6, a low band station. Low Band VHF can be deceptively difficult to get, because most modern antennas omit low-band reception.

If this was my choice, I would use a Winegard HD-7082 antenna mounted as high on your roof as practical, and include a rotator, so that you can turn the antenna between the Lancaster and Philly channels. I would also include a preamplifier, such as an AntennasDirect PA18. This combination will allow you access to the Phily and Lancaster stations. Of course, if you aim solely at Philly, you will get the major network stations.
Thanks, Tigerbangs! I'm primarily interested in the Philly stations, but I think I'd include a rotator and amplifier anyway to ensure I can get it pointed in the right direction and get a clear signal.