TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 11-Jan-2012, 5:49 PM   #1
5spdfrk

Question Noob looking for advice

Ok, so I'll be ditching DirectTV in the next month or two once my contract is up and want to start planning out my antenna setup now so I won't have any downtime.

A little info about my house...
  • it's a single story sitting on a slab
  • it sits lower than most houses in the neighborhood
  • it's next to a lake
  • there are some tall (< or = to 40ft) trees around me, most being to the west/northwest

I've been looking at some of the Antennas Direct antennas like the DB8 or ClearStream4 or 5, but I'm not sure how much antenna I need or if those are decent ones to buy (reviews on good on Amazon).
As far as mounting goes, I was thinking about installing it in the attic (about 15-20ft above ground level) since I have a very high roof line.
The coax was already installed by the builder and has been working fine for DirectTV, so I guess I won't have to run much, if any new line.

My only TV: Vizio SV370XVT
Additional TVs may be hooked up in the future, but no more than 3 total.

Signal Analysis: Click here

I would like to pick up two of the three VHF channels as NBC is a major network and PBS...well who doesn't need public educational programs , the third is CBS which would be picked up by UHF anyways.

I've trolled the forums off and on for a month or so now, so I hope I gave most of the information you guys need. If I left something out, lmk and I'll post up!

TIA
5spdfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jan-2012, 6:16 PM   #2
5spdfrk

One more bit of info, antennaweb.org says I need a large directional antenna with a pre-amp.
Old 11-Jan-2012, 6:27 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

It sounds as if the trees will not be in the path toward the stations. Hopefully, the attic will not attenuate signals too badly, I would opt for roof mounting.

If you choose to attic mount, I would recommend you use the largest antenna that will fit in the space, while being aimed at 344° compass. Consider the Winegard HD7698P, which would not be excessive if mounted outside in the clear. If you split the signal to multiple sets, a preamplifier such as the Antennas Direct CPA-19 or Winegard HDP-269 would provide more than enough gain to overcome the cable and splitter losses.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jan-2012, 6:46 PM   #4
5spdfrk

Thanks for the reply!

The attic shouldn't pose any problems, the house is wood framed with vinyl siding, has standard roofing shingles and the insulation is blown in, so there isn't much metal to cause any issues, unless attics just cause a problem for antennas in general.

I don't mind mounting an antenna on the roof as long as it doesn't have to be on the top of the pitch and could be mounted on the backside of the roof pitch instead. Is that possible? I just don't want it to look unsightly from the street.

The Winegard pre-amp is substantially lest costly than the Antennas Direct one. Are there any major differences between the two? Also, would it be okay to go ahead and install the pre-amp with only one TV or should I wait until I need it?
Old 11-Jan-2012, 7:31 PM   #5
Dave Loudin

You don't have to be on top of the pitch if you won't have to aim through the roof to get your signals.

BTW, I only see two VHFs in your report - WXIA and WGTV.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jan-2012, 7:44 PM   #6
5spdfrk

Yeh, I wouldn't have to aim through the roof for the signal, so that should be fine.

I only saw 2 VHFs at first too, but there's WMAZ in the lower right hand corner which appears to be another CBS channel from a city south of me.
Old 11-Jan-2012, 8:05 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5spdfrk View Post
Thanks for the reply!

The Winegard pre-amp is substantially lest costly than the Antennas Direct one. Are there any major differences between the two? Also, would it be okay to go ahead and install the pre-amp with only one TV or should I wait until I need it?
The CPA-1X amplifiers have slightly better noise figure specifications. I can still recommend the HDP-269 though.

If you're going to use 50' or more cable or install a splitter to begin with, you'll want a preamp. Be sure to install 75Ω F-terminators on any unused splitter ports.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 11-Jan-2012 at 8:11 PM. Reason: added info re. install preamp now or later
Old 11-Jan-2012, 9:16 PM   #8
5spdfrk

Good looking out on the terminators, I wouldn't have known that otherwise.
Old 12-Jan-2012, 12:35 AM   #9
Electron

Tv antennas and Tv reception

Install a HD7698P antenna with a HDP269 preamp aimed at about 355 degree magnetic compass. Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html. Here are some antenna mounts , http://www.ronard.com/909911.html , http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html , http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html . Here are places to buy antennas and etc. , http://www.ronard.comhttp://www.winegarddirect.com , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.amazon.com

Last edited by Electron; 16-Jan-2012 at 5:32 PM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Jan-2012, 1:41 AM   #10
5spdfrk

Thanks for the links, I found the one on aiming an antenna earlier!

Is it possible to put the HD7698P in the attic or is it meant for roof installation only?
Old 12-Jan-2012, 1:53 AM   #11
GroundUrMast

There's no rule against mounting any outdoor antenna indoors or in the attic. Bear in mind, if you're not satisfied with the reception in the attic, the HD769X series of antennas are known to be a bit challenging to refold to get them back out of an attic.

Old 12-Jan-2012, 5:02 AM   #12
Electron

Indoor antennas can be put outside to receive tv stations and outdoor antennas can be put inside to receive tv channels , and Yes a HD7698P can hang from the ceiling of the living room. And Yes one can put a simple (rabbit ears) rods and loop antenna like the Channel Master CM4010 on the roof. . The digital tv stations/channels at your location are weak to Very Weak. Putting 'A' antenna indoors or in the attic , Will reduce the received signal strength to unreliable with drop outs and pixalation and no reception.
Old 12-Jan-2012, 3:35 PM   #13
5spdfrk

Ok, so it sounds like mounting on the roof will yield the best results. With that being the case, I have a couple more questions.

1. How is the coax run to the antenna, through the roof?
2. If so, what do you use to seal the holes in the roof to prevent leakage.

These may be simple questions, but I want to know my materials list before I get going with this project.

Thanks.
Old 12-Jan-2012, 5:21 PM   #14
GroundUrMast

When ever possible, I avoid putting a hole in the roof.

Is your roof gable or hip style? http://www.texasinspectionpartners.c...mages/0407.JPG

If gable style, consider using a wall or eave mount. http://www.3starinc.com/antenna_wall_mounts.html Drilling through the wall of a gable, and then sealing with outdoor caulking would be preferable to a roof deck penetration. Use a drip loop to prevent water from draining directly to the caulked hole.

If you have no choice but to penetrate the roof deck, you'll want to use conduit, flashing and a weather-head that are appropriate for your roof construction. You may want to consult with someone who has experience with roofing installation and repair to be sure you're not overlooking something important.

Old 12-Jan-2012, 8:38 PM   #15
5spdfrk

I kind of have both gable and hip styles if that's possible. It's gable on the front, but hip on the sides and back, which is where the antenna would need to go.
Old 13-Jan-2012, 12:53 AM   #16
Electron

Most , houses , condos , apartments , mobile homes , motor homes , have coax cable already installed. The coax from the antenna will connect to the coax that is already in place. If you need to run new coax , the coax will go through a Outside Wall to the inside of the house. The coax can also go through a Outside Wall in to the attic.
Old 13-Jan-2012, 1:10 AM   #17
5spdfrk

Yeh, I need to go out and look where the DirecTV guy ran the coax from the dish to my attic, so it's possible I could use that. I'll probably do that this weekend when I have more daylight.
Old 13-Jan-2012, 1:16 AM   #18
GroundUrMast

Many of the dish installs are located on the roof, within reach of the gutter. It's very common to see the coax run on the roof surface down to and then over the edge to an entry hole under the eave/soffit.

Most new and recently re-roofed homes have vents installed in the roof. Often the vent can provide a leak free path for coax cable.

If you have a strong (metallic) plumbing vent pipe in a convenient location, a product like this Vent Pipe Mount may be ideal.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 13-Jan-2012 at 1:22 AM. Reason: sp.
Old 13-Jan-2012, 1:36 AM   #19
5spdfrk

Nice, I'll gather some more intel soon!
Old 16-Jan-2012, 4:29 PM   #20
5spdfrk

Ok, the coax was run through a hole in the soffit and then up to the satellite dish. So, I should be able to use the existing coax and extend it if need be.

The dish is mounted on a j-mount like this one: http://www.3starinc.com/ds-3000_j_mo...na_ds3000.html

Is it possible to use the DirecTV mount for the HD7698P?