TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 29-Sep-2014, 8:18 PM   #1
mikeybass1

Antenna recommendations in SE Wisconsin

Another cord cutter here! My DirecTV agreement is up in February and I'm hoping to get something in place before the snow flies. My house came with an old antenna and rotor on a tripod mount on the 2nd story roof, which is where I'd like to mount the new unit. The height of the current antenna is about 35 feet, with pretty clear views north and south. All coax terminates in the the basement, so figure about 50' to get from antenna to there. I'd like to be able to supply six TVs throughout the house, so I'd also appreciate advice on a splitter/amplifier, etc.

Here's my TV Fool report

I'm halfway between Green Bay and Milwaukee. I'd like to be able to receive the major stations from both markets, for failover capability more than anything. Basically, if you look at the list of stations in my report, I'd like to make sure I get WFRV-TV through WMLW-TV. Contractors in the area are installing two antennas and combining their signals to receive stations from both markets without having to deal with a rotor. Thoughts on that approach are also appreciated.

Thanks for your help!
Mike
mikeybass1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Sep-2014, 8:33 PM   #2
timgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeybass1 View Post
... Contractors in the area are installing two antennas and combining their signals to receive stations from both markets without having to deal with a rotor. ...
That's what I'd try. An ambitious system would use two Antennas Direct DB8es, widely separated and pointing at 1 and 181. They could be on an A/B switch, or you could use a separate tuner for each with a HTPC to manage program handling. You could probably get WMVS Ch 8 PBS with an additional dedicated VHF high antenna like the Antennacraft Y10713 and pick up WLUK ch 11 Fox on the back side. I would skip trying to get weather channel WIWN ch 5 VHF low. The VHF high antenna could be mounted on the same mast as one of the DBes and the signal combined with the UHF.

Last edited by timgr; 29-Sep-2014 at 8:38 PM.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Sep-2014, 1:11 PM   #3
mikeybass1

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgr View Post
An ambitious system would use two Antennas Direct DB8es, widely separated and pointing at 1 and 181.
An ambitious system indeed, and a well reviewed antenna. Thanks for the recommendation. So the DB8e has the ability to point the two elements in different directions, thoughts on this scenario with just one DB8e doing the work for UHF signals from both markets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgr View Post
You could probably get WMVS Ch 8 PBS with an additional dedicated VHF high antenna like the Antennacraft Y10713 and pick up WLUK ch 11 Fox on the back side. I would skip trying to get weather channel WIWN ch 5 VHF low. The VHF high antenna could be mounted on the same mast as one of the DBes and the signal combined with the UHF.
I'm not worried about trying to get WIWN or WMVS, however I would like to try to get WLUK since it's Fox and they broadcast the majority of Packers games during the season. Again as a failover scenario in case WITI isn't coming in for whatever reason.
Old 30-Sep-2014, 2:21 PM   #4
timgr

Quote:
An ambitious system indeed, and a well reviewed antenna. Thanks for the recommendation. So the DB8e has the ability to point the two elements in different directions, thoughts on this scenario with just one DB8e doing the work for UHF signals from both markets?
It's less sensitive with each array pointing in opposite directions. ADTech on here is from Antennas Direct - maybe he can comment. You could buy one and try it, then if the sensitivity is not high enough with the spread arrays, try pointing both the same and see if you can get both markets separately.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Sep-2014, 3:45 PM   #5
Stereocraig

Quote:

I'm not worried about trying to get WIWN or WMVS, however I would like to try to get WLUK since it's Fox and they broadcast the majority of Packers games during the season. Again as a failover scenario in case WITI isn't coming in for whatever reason.

Don't forget about the games on CBS and NBC.
I also believe that ABC carries that game that's on ESPN.
(Seems like we scramble to find it every year) =D

FWIW, I receive WIWN and WMVS from 39.6mi w/ a UHF DIY whisker, but it's LOS for me, whereas you're at 2edge.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Sep-2014, 8:22 PM   #6
mikeybass1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereocraig View Post
Don't forget about the games on CBS and NBC.
I also believe that ABC carries that game that's on ESPN.
(Seems like we scramble to find it every year) =D
Don't worry, I'm well aware!