TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 29-Sep-2014, 6:14 PM   #1
sennico

hoping to cut the cord

I'm fed up with my high bills and hoping to cut the cord. Here's my report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d2438efcd595e3

Any recommendations for a suitable antenna?

My main "wants" would be the big 4, ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX. Anything else I could get would be gravy. Also if an attic mount was a possibility that would be nice but its not a deal breaker if it has to go on the roof.

Hoping you guys can help guide me in the right direction. Thanks!
sennico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Sep-2014, 6:52 PM   #2
timgr

Attic installation comes up again and again. Roof mount is a lot more likely to succeed. Attic mount raises uncertainty... it could cut signal strength a lot, and introduce interference. Plus you'll want to go big with an attic antenna to overcome an shielding effects, and that can make mounting difficult.

I'm not an industry pro, so I'm just making a guess to get your thread going. If I wanted ABC (WPVI 6), I'd go with a maybe an Antennacraft HD1850, aimed at magnetic 188? Note this antenna has a 180" (15') boom. Attic mounting could be difficult. If it were mounted high above the roof, you could maybe go with a smaller antenna like a HD850?
http://www.antennacraft.net/Antennas...llChannel.html

Pretty sure you're going to need something with a long boom to pull in the longer wavelength signals of VHF.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Sep-2014, 7:09 PM   #3
sennico

Thanks for kicking off the thread. The motivation for the attic install was threefold for me, I just put on a new roof, I dont use my attic all all for storage, and I have a ranch style house so I know know what some of the bigger antennas will look like up there. I am open to suggestions though, killing the $160/mo i pay to watch a handful of channels is a motivating factor for sure
sennico is offline   Reply With Quote