TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 21-Jul-2010, 10:03 PM   #1
lorinser75

Is it feasible for me to receive OTA Local channel?

Hey there,
I need some help in "deciphering" info that I receive from TVfool
here is my TVfool result:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9fbe9aaf280e1f

Long story short, my directTV provider can't provide me with any of the local station (ABC, FOX, NBC & CBS) due to my location (opelika, al). So a friend of mine suggested a DTV antenna and asked me to check my location in antennaweb.org and I did. Based on Antennaweb.org, my location does NOT show any local digital stations. later, I came across tvfool.com, and behold, now my location shows a promising result. I see some local stations in the range of 33-62 miles (yellow range).

My question is, based on the TVfool result, can I really receive those local digital stations (ABC, FOX, NBC, CBS) with outdoor antenna (mid or long range antenna)? or am I missing something? I google some antenna, and came out with a couple of antennas such Antennadirect clearstream5/DB series or the long range winegard.

Any advice is really appreciated before I start shopping and end up disappointed

Thank you so much

Last edited by lorinser75; 21-Jul-2010 at 11:12 PM.
lorinser75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jul-2010, 12:02 AM   #2
mtownsend

It looks like you might have decent access to some Columbus and Montgomery stations, but before we get into specifics, you should try to get a more precise analysis of your location. The report you have now is showing that the address was only resolved to "street level", so it might not be a completely accurate representation of the signals at your house.

What you can do is go to the Interactive Maps tool (here). After you enter your address, you will be presented with a map. If the pointer is at the wrong location, then you can drag-n-drop the pointer until it is right on top of your house. You can also edit the antenna height field to experiment with antenna heights.

When you are satisfied with the location and antenna height being analyzed, you can press the "Make Radar Plot" button to turn this into a report that you can post back here.

If your report still shows several stations in the green, yellow, or red zones, then you can probably pick them up with an appropriately configured antenna setup.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jul-2010, 1:03 AM   #3
lorinser75

Thank you so much Mtownsend...that's a really useful and informative link.
I can even see where the transmission lines are, and now I know where I can point the antenna

I used the interactive map, and move the pointer to where my exact location is (it is a new subdivision, that's why I have a hard time putting an exact spot in the map )

Below is the new report, and based on the miles, it looks pretty promising .

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9fbe2b173b1c74

Let me know what you think mtownsend, and also see if you can recommend me a good antenna.

Thank you again...really appreciate your help

Last edited by lorinser75; 22-Jul-2010 at 1:05 AM.
Old 22-Jul-2010, 4:30 PM   #4
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
You are actually in pretty fair shape: you'll be able to see all your major TV networks with a decent outdoor antenna and a rotator. You have several stations on VHF-high-band plus some UHF stations to get, and they come from different cities, so a fringe-area VHF-high-band plus UHF antenna is in order. I would recommend using a Winegard HD-7696P or a HD-7697P mounted on your roof, along with a good rotator like a Channel Master 9521a, which will allow you to turn the antenna to see both Columbus, GA and Montgomery, AL from your house. You may also want to consider a preamplifier if you need to run long cable lengths (greater than 75') or want to run multiple TV sets from your antenna. I would consider a Winegard HDP-269 high-input preamp in such a case.

http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload/HD7696P.pdf
http://www.winegard.com/kbase/upload...20_HDP-269.pdf
http://www.ChannelMaster.com/Best_An...9521A_s/63.htm

here is a good installation guide to help you:http://manuals.solidsignal.com/AntInstallGuide.pdf
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jul-2010, 6:06 PM   #5
lorinser75

Thanks for the great info Tigerbangs,

Let me ask your opinion on this,
I've been surveying my house yesterday for a good spot to install the antenna, and it looks like the roof is out of the question because the house is a two-story, and the roof angle is kind of steep. And since I'll be installing it myself, I'm thinking of installing right at the 2nd level (~9-10ft) attached to the vinyl siding via J-mast or some sort. Cabling wise is also not an issue with this installation and it will be <50 feet. Attic is another option, but I'm not sure how effective.

The equipment that I'm thinking is either a Antenna Direct C2 or C4 (the website says this one is great for the attic, but I don't know about that) as I'm planning to get just Ch 11, 49, 15, & 35 thru Columbus, GA which is abut SE from my location (33 - 42 miles). But after reading your link on the installation, it seems that I won't be able to get channel 11 as the C2/C4 antenna is rated as UHF, and if I'm not mistaken, ch 11 is considered high VHF right? and also I'm trying to find antenna that will actually fit nicely on the side of the siding, instead of vertically on the roof top. That's why I look at the antenna direct products. I guess I can get the Winegard HD-7696P and install it on the attic.

please Let me know what you think about this, and see if you can identify other problems or even other options.

Thank you so much again for the time

Last edited by lorinser75; 22-Jul-2010 at 6:12 PM.
Old 22-Jul-2010, 8:18 PM   #6
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
No attic installations: they are almost always fraught with problems: The C2 and C4 do NOT do VHF, so don't bother. If you don't want to get up on your roof use an eave mount, which will allow you to mount on the side of the roof, with the antenna still seeing over the highest part of the roof. Always make sure that your antenna is above any other roof obstructions, and is mounted as high as possible for the best reception. I strongly recommend against mounting anywhere below the highest point of your roof, as you will block signals and create a multipath condition. Remember, OTA TV is NOT satellite reception! Your antenna needs to be in free space, up high and clear of any obstructions around it to work at it's best. You can eave-mount an antenna easily, and have it clear the top of your roof by several feet, which is all that you will need to be successful.

Look at this eave mount:
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...0Supplies&sku=

Last edited by Tigerbangs; 22-Jul-2010 at 8:26 PM.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jul-2010, 12:19 AM   #7
lorinser75

Thanks for the advice Tigerbangs.
I guess I better re-survey my home again for better location and placement.

one last thing, is www.solidsignal.com a good vendor? I never ordered from them before, but it seems they have a great price.

Thanks again
Old 24-Jul-2010, 12:09 AM   #8
mtownsend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorinser75 View Post
Thank you so much Mtownsend
You're very welcome!

Quote:
I used the interactive map, and move the pointer to where my exact location is (it is a new subdivision, that's why I have a hard time putting an exact spot in the map
FYI, you can switch the map to "satellite" or "hybrid" view to see aerial photos of the area. In many places, the photos are recent enough and detailed enough to identify exactly where your house is.

Quote:
is www.solidsignal.com a good vendor?
I've used them on a few occasions and have had good experiences so far. The products were delivered in a timely manner and I've never had any problems/issues with any of my orders.

I'm not able to comment much on their customer service since I have never needed to return any items or dispute anything with them.
Old 8-Aug-2010, 7:02 PM   #9
lorinser75

hey guys,
I'm back with an update and a question;
I bought and installed a Winegard HD-7696P, not on top of the roof, but to the side of the roof, which works really great. I received 15 HD channels, some from Columbus, and some from Atlanta, which is amazing. In fact, I receive all the major networks (NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX & PBS) and some of them are even duplicate (2 Fox, 2 CBS). But I do have a slight problem that I hope you guys can shed a light.

When I run a "rough" cable from the ant to the 2nd bedroom Tv (thru window using 25 ft RG6) for testing and alligning, everything is exactly perfect, 15 HDs & crystal clear pics. BUT when I run the "real" cable from the Ant to the side of the house, where all my grounding, DirectTV & TV cables terminate into the house (all TV cables are terminated to wall jacks inside every rooms), I lost 6 channels (2 are actually intermittent). Of course this is using the same TV that is in the 2nd floor that hooks into the wall jack, instead of thru the window. I'm pretty sure this is due to the signal lost from long cables that run from the roof to the side of the house, and finally to 2nd floor bed via inside cable nework, which is definitely more than 75'.

My question is, should I invest on a pre-amp like the Ch master C7777 or just buy a regular distribution amp in order to get those original 15 HD Channels back?

Thanks again for your help guys. It's been really helpful for a 1st timer like me.

Cheers

Last edited by lorinser75; 8-Aug-2010 at 7:04 PM.
Old 10-Aug-2010, 12:29 AM   #10
mtownsend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorinser75 View Post
should I invest on a pre-amp like the Ch master C7777 or just buy a regular distribution amp in order to get those original 15 HD Channels back?
A pre-amp is a better choice. This puts the signal boost closer to the antenna so that the coax losses are kept at a minimum. Distribution amps usually go indoors and that usually means there's been more coax signal loss before reaching the first amplification stage.

Pre-amps can make things worse if you have strong signals nearby that might overload the amp (this causes distortion across all channels). However, in your case, I think you are safe since none of your signals appear to be too hot to handle. When signal levels in the "Pwr (dBm)" column get to about -30 dBm or higher, I start to worry, but you don't have any signals that strong in your report.

The CM 7777 is a good choice for your situation.
Old 10-Aug-2010, 5:10 AM   #11
lorinser75

Thanks for the help as usual mtownsend

Just ordered one a few min ago, hopefully after this I can close this HDTV project for good
Old 10-Aug-2010, 2:09 PM   #12
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtownsend View Post
The CM 7777 is a good choice for your situation.
Make sure that you engage the FM trap.

WSTH-FM on 106.1 has a signal strength of -17.6 dbm. Your worthwhile TV signals range from -35.5 dbm to -70 dbm.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Aug-2010, 2:21 PM   #13
lorinser75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
Make sure that you engage the FM trap.

WSTH-FM on 106.1 has a signal strength of -17.6 dbm. Your worthwhile TV signals range from -35.5 dbm to -70 dbm.
Thanks for the input Tower guy.
I'll make sure the FM trap is on.

I appreciate that