TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 20-Feb-2014, 3:55 AM   #1
seandun

How to improve reception? (near San Francisco)

I've recently switched from cable to OTA and am having an issue getting good reception on all the channels I want (real channels 7 to 50). I've looked around the forum and internet, but haven't found a discussion of my particular issue so I hope someone here can help.

I have a Clear Stream 2 antenna from Antennas Direct and am using it indoors (on the second floor of a 2 story building) with a 25 foot cable to a splitter then the TV with a 6 foot cable (I plan to split the signal to other TVs but haven't done that yet). I've placed the antenna against an exterior wall near the ceiling (antenna & wall face ~316 degrees from true north). My reception varies as I move the antenna along the wall. At any given location, I get excellent reception on ~1/3 of the stations and no to little reception on ~1/3 of the stations. For any given station, I can find a location along the wall where I get good reception. The wall is ~18 feet long and if I could combine the reception at 4 or 5 points I would get a strong signal for all the channels.

Any suggestions on how to improve my situation? I've thought about: 1. a shelf and sliding the antenna back and forth (not very appealing), 2. combining signals from several antennas (expensive and doesn't sound easy) or 3. building a DIY antenna the length of the wall (would be fun, but not sure what to build or if it would work).

I live south of San Francisco in zip code 94070. Here is my tvfool map.

The Monument Peak signals (LOS) are always strong. It is the Sutro and San Bruno signals (1 or 2 Edge) that vary depending on the antenna location.
Real channels I'm looking to get: 7, 12, 20, 29, 30, 33, 35, 36, 38, 39, 41, 43, 44, 45, 48, and 50.

I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks,
SD
seandun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Feb-2014, 3:58 AM   #2
teleview

+=>
----
If the antenna is a CS2 , without the VHF reception rods.

Then order and install the VHF rods reception kit from , http://www.antennasdirect.com.

----------

Install the CS2 with the VHF reception rods kit , Above The Peak of the Roof in such a manner that the antenna has clear views that are not , obstructed , impeded , blocked , by the roof and building in the directions of , North West and East .

Aim the antenna at about 295 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real And Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

--------------------

The signal strengths are strong for the Tv stations to the North West and East , a antenna system amplifier will most likely not be required.

------------------

1 of the channels you have listed is 20.

I am thinking that it is KOFY-TV and not KSCZ-LD.

Last edited by teleview; 23-Feb-2014 at 4:17 PM. Reason: Clarify information and tyos.
Old 23-Feb-2014, 12:11 AM   #3
GroundUrMast

Indoor reception is prone to difficulty. The signal is lower in strength due to the penetration losses caused by building structural materials. You also have higher levels of interference from sources inside the building (computers, motors, CFL and LED lighting products, etc.).

A larger, more directional antenna may help... If you could mount outdoors, the CS2-V should be a capable option. A Winegard HD7694P would not be overkill.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Mar-2014, 10:08 AM   #4
seandun

Thanks for the quick and detailed responses. I would have replied sooner but I've been on vacation and away from the internet.

I'm in a condo which makes putting an antenna on the roof a challenge. I'll see what I can do. In the mean time, if there any other ideas for my indoor reception issue let me know.

The CS2 does have the VHF reception rod kit and I am looking to watch KOFY-TV on 20 (not KSCZ-LD).

Thanks again for your help.
seandun is offline   Reply With Quote