TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 28-Jun-2011, 11:31 PM   #1
TGibson1

Northwest Florida

Unfortunately, I am at a total loss as to how to proceed. (Not much of a techy).

I just got rid of our Dish Satellite service. (still have the dish) (returned the receivers and items requested).
We are hoping to just be able to receive as many of the basic digital channels as is possible, within a reasonable budget for an antenna.

Our roof top is very high, almost 2 stories, I would say at least 25-30 feet.
There are some very tall pines directly on our east side, and it is several hundred yards to the west before there are more trees of that height. (across the Eglin AFB range.)

Any suggestions on what type of antenna, placement, hook ups etc,.
We have one 47" Vizio HD TV that we would want to connect. The other room TVs maybe not so important.

I tried a temporary measure of installing an RCA Ant751 right on the mounting bracket from the old DISH, pointed it West. I do get about 28 channels reasonably clear and consistent. But they are all at about the 285 degree mark. However, there are several channels showing nearby (N-S) that heading and more importantly in the opposite direction (East) that I would like to get also, And still use a smaller size antenna if at all possible.
I read where someone in my area recommended an HD Stacker.?

Any help would be appreciated. I have spent hours looking into this. Please help. Thank you

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...03d92504061fb3
TGibson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jun-2011, 8:11 PM   #2
Esteban

I am not a pro , but will chime in with some help, til the pro's get here.
My situation,, also in Fl., is quite similar to yours. Most stations are UHF & in one direction. I tried a Channel Master 4228 & am pleased with it. Although it is for UHF, I still am picking up several VHF stations at quite a distance away & 90° from where it is pointing. I just moved it around in tiny incriments til I received all that I could with good signals. I now am getting about 10 stations. I think that something like I have, pointed about 280° will get good results for you .

Last edited by Esteban; 30-Jun-2011 at 8:18 PM.
Esteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jun-2011, 8:39 PM   #3
Dave Loudin

Esteban, getting an antenna with a reflector will not help with getting signals in the directions he is interested in, but your input is always welcome.

TGibson1, getting the two stations at 11 degrees with the same antenna aimed for 285 degrees will be virtually impossible without rotating it. With the RCA, you should be able to get the strong station (WAWD) off the back side, and WPAN may be strong enough to come in from the side. I think you may have the best choice for a single, fixed antenna already.

Two questions: 1) is the RCA up at 25 feet now?
2) Do you see the FOX affiliate, WALA? It is the only VHF station you have to worry about.

You DO NOT need an HD Stacker.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jun-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

If you have read recent posts from other question askers then you will know that I never recommend the slacker. You can put the ANT751 on a Channel Master Rotor CM 9521A

Last edited by John Candle; 1-Jul-2011 at 12:53 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Jul-2011, 2:04 AM   #5
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Ok here is a antenna that I most never recommend. The Winegard MS2002 Metrostar. Please know that omnidirectional antennas are not truly 100% omnidirectional , the antenna may need to be turned to find a place that receives all the channels you will like to watch. Also know that omnidirectional antennas do not reject multipath (reflected signals) like directional antennas do. An omni antenna can sometimes work , the way to find out is put one up. Be sure and check with the place that you buy it , if you need to return it. Here are places to buy Tv antennas and etc. , http://solidsignal.com , http://www.starkelectronic.com , http://www.amazon.com , http://www.3starinc.com
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Jul-2011, 5:24 PM   #6
TGibson1

Thanks for the info guys. This is a difficult process, but with some of your advice it may get much easier.
Here are the channels I receive: WEAR 3.1, WDPM 4.1, WKRG 5.1,
?FOX 10.1, WPMI 15.1, IND 21.1-5, WSRE 23.1-4, WHBR 33.1, WFGX 35.1, RF40, WJTC 44.1, WFNA 55.1 end.
UpDATE: I rotated/pointed the RCA751 east to 90 degrees. Funny thing, I received all the same stations except WDPM, Fox10, WFNA.
Right now the antenna height is only at about 12-15 feet (on the old DISH mount).
I do have the option to buy mounting bracket and more coax and go to top of roof line which is approx 25-30 feet. IF it were likely to produce much better results.
I certainly understand there are no guarantees in this ota reception arena.
I may look into the Winegard suggested. Any other ideas are always appreciated.
Thanks again guys for the advice. You are helping a lot of people with each post.
TG
TGibson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Jul-2011, 2:43 PM   #7
Dave Loudin

I think you have this pretty well nailed. The RCA is all the antenna you need - aim it west and be happy. To see the effect of 12 vs 25 feet, run your report for those two heights (and use your exact address.) Looks like you're doing well as it is.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote