TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 18-Aug-2013, 2:16 PM   #1
shelly116

Need antenna for OTA

Hello, I am wanting to get rid of satellite and tune in the digital channels. I have 2 tvs all ready wired with the satellite cables, so will put antenna on satellite mount on top of house. Would like to get as many channels as possible, but don't have a fortune to spend on antenna. Any help would be super, here is a link to my analysis... http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae88635b97a7
shelly116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Aug-2013, 5:42 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

In your situation, an effective antenna does not need to be big or expensive.

An RCA ANT-751R or Antennacraft HBU-11 pointed SW should give you very good results.

Signal splitters and the coax cable can be re-used. Be sure to remove satellite system parts that will block over the air TV signal frequencies.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Aug-2013, 1:04 AM   #3
elmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
In your situation, an effective antenna does not need to be big or expensive.

An RCA ANT-751R or Antennacraft HBU-11 pointed SW should give you very good results.

Signal splitters and the coax cable can be re-used. Be sure to remove satellite system parts that will block over the air TV signal frequencies.
Don't you mean pointed SE?
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Aug-2013, 1:20 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Don't you mean pointed SE?
Yes, thanks for the catch

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Aug-2013, 5:03 PM   #5
shelly116

Thanks for your help with this... but I seem to be having issues with the channels and am not sure what to do now.

Initially, we got 11 channels when we hooked it up. 30 minutes later, and since we only get 4. Nothing changed, we've tried adjusting the direction of the antenna, tilted up a bit, and are ready to put it on a 6 foot pole to raise up more.

My question is, since we had a double cable run from the satellite (dual tuner) will we lose continuity between the antenna and tv? Do we need to re-string it with single strand cable?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!!
Old 27-Aug-2013, 8:13 PM   #6
elmo

The dual coax was for the dish's dual LNB's. So you can just use one w/o issue - they had nothing in common other than being connected on the outer jacket.

I assume it's pointed SE? And all dish devices/splitters/etc are removed? Maybe try a rescan - even multiple times? Recently I did an install and couldn't get an easy VHF channel for nothing. I did notice I was picking up a few UHF's that were a bit out of reach and I didn't expect them at all. Came back a week later and rescanned and the local VHF came in all bars and the far away UHF was gone. Not exactly sure what was going on that prior day other than some level of atmospheric disruption.

You can always run a test strand of RG-6 to rule out a coax issue. Moisture can degrade coax over time. Seems odd that you had 11 channels and then nothing. But fresh coax will tell you something for sure.
Old 27-Aug-2013, 9:15 PM   #7
shelly116

Thanks, Elmo for the reply! I have rescanned many times, with the antenna pointed many directions (all within a SE general direction)... tried changing by about 1/2 inch increments in both directions.

Even rescanned with different weather patterns, cloudy, sunny, rainy... Still only get 4.

I believe everything from the satellite was removed... that being said, I know I do have a splitter in the attic from that cable. Not sure if I can get to it, but will definitely try a fresh cable out the window before digging through the attic!
Old 27-Aug-2013, 9:47 PM   #8
elmo

Well dang. Sounds like you've been busy already!

If you have a splitter and it has unterminated connectors, you've got a situation that is probably zapping signal strength there. A cheap little barrel connector - female on both sides and it connects two coax cables together - would be better in that case.

And you know - you said you had dual coax - did you try the other coax? I'd guess you have have done that. I'd certainly give that a shot before pulling anything new.
Old 28-Aug-2013, 8:02 PM   #9
teleview

Correct / situations problems with the system of coaxes and couplers and etc. .

Digital tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

Do Double Rescan , http://www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf.