TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 4-Aug-2013, 6:13 PM   #1
bitscrambler

Send a message via Yahoo to bitscrambler
Problem getting reception

Hey all, well it's my first post to this group. I've done all the reading and searched the forums a bit but still haven't resolved my 'issue'.

I have an Antenna's Direct DB4 antenna. I live in a two storey house and it is on the roof of that, pointing north. Directly to my north though is a hydro field which might be my problem. The wires are about only 80 or so feet away from me and they must be carrying some juice. I am trying to catch Toronto which is why I have it pointed North. Here is my analysis http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae09c3f14d52

My cable run is probably no greater than 40'. I am using the mounting stand, and coax from an old satellite reciever, which has probably two couplers in the length of the run. I do not think it is a wiring problem though, because yesterday I went out to the side of my house and hooked up about 10' below the antenna and brought it directly through my patio with still no reception.

I haven't rotated the antenna yet to face south which may be all I need to do.

Any input apprectiated,

jason
bitscrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Aug-2013, 8:23 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

First thought... Have you set the TV tuner to 'air' or 'antenna' mode rather than 'cable' mode? Have you then scanned for channels?

Then, your TV Fool reports is flagged, "WARNING: Address was only resolved approximately and might not be that close to your actual location. For more accurate results, try entering a specific address or coordinates." If the report is not showing the real conditions at you location, we may be mislead to think you have better signal conditions than actually exist.

When you open the 'Interactive TV Coverage Browser', enter your ZIP code only. Then, use your mouse to move the pointer to your exact location on the map. I prefer the hybrid view when using this method. Once you have your location pin-pointed and set the correct antenna height, you can generate a report using the on screen link button "Make Radar Plot".

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 4-Aug-2013 at 8:36 PM. Reason: need to run a new TVFR
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Aug-2013, 8:31 PM   #3
teleview

The provided tvfool radar report says , with red letters , address is only resolved approximately.

Please post a tv fool report using correct address.

____

Please clarify what you mean by hydro field.

Can post pictures of hydro field and picture/s of what you think is close enough to cause reception problems.
Old 5-Aug-2013, 2:53 PM   #4
bitscrambler

Hi guys, ok to start with , yes I've got my TV set to 'air'. I tried doing an autoscan for any channels - and got close to getting a couple -which maybe were the analogue channels I guess. I could see the pictures a bit but no sound at all. I used the fine tune option with these - still nothing.

Here's my updated signal analysis results. I used my address not that it changed much at all the terrian here is much the same.

And by saying 'hydro field' I mean a feild used for power transmission lines. They are at least 175feet tall, you can see from the pictures I've taken. We call electricity 'hydro' in Canada, which comes from the way some of ours is generated. I thought it would throw some people off but anyways. So my DB4 is facing directly into these power lines. Here are some pictures to clarify things.

From the pictures you can see what I mean I hope. There are two sets of power lines, actually. A set that feeds the houses , and another that I was referring to that may be my problem. Anyways, you people know more about this type of thing.

Thanks,

Jason
Old 6-Aug-2013, 10:28 AM   #5
bitscrambler

OK I've come to a conclusion over what my problem is. It must be the type of TV I have. It's a flat screen - lcd type, but the tuner is NTSC, not ATSC. I read about this in a previous thread. I will have to replace it when I get some more money.
Old 6-Aug-2013, 5:23 PM   #6
teleview

The Tv / Tuning Device , Must have a Digital Broadcast Tv Tuner.

The Tv / Tuning Device , Must Channel Scan for the , OTA=Over The Air , Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels.

The Tv / Tuning Device , Must Channel Scan for the , ATSC , aka , 8VSB , Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels.

Do Not channel scan for NTSC Analog Tv stations/channels.

Do Not channel scan for cable Tv channels.

Here are some converter boxes.

http://www.epvision.com .

http://www.channelmasterstore.com.

Test reception with antenna aimed 2 different directions.

Test reception with antenna aimed at about 340 degree magnetic direction.

Test reception with antenna aimed at about 130 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

The groups of Tv stations are to the , North , North West , West , South West , South , South East.

Reception will most likely be better with the antenna below the power lines.

Digital Tuners can develop - Digital Glitches- that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

Do double rescan , http://www.dtv.gov/rescan.com.

Aiming the front of the antenna or back of the antenna into a building or roof including your own building and roof will disrupt and reduce reception.
Old 20-Aug-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
bitscrambler

Okay just an update to my OTA TV situation. I grabbed a new TV on the weekend - a 37" Samsung LED 1080 p with a digital tuner. I'm getting around 10 channels, but all except one are from south of me (the United States). I am supossed to be able to pull in some Toronto channels but I'm pretty sure the power lines are affecting those.

I am happy with what I am getting and everything. Just to be fair though, the cable I am using was used for a satellite previously, and has three couplers on the lenght of it. Just thought I'd post my results on here.

Cheers,

bitscrambler

[EDIT]
Any comments or suggestions on why I am only getting channels to the south of me ? Anyone else deal with power transmission lines like I have pictured here ? I would like to possibly get some Toronto channels if I could ..

Last edited by bitscrambler; 21-Aug-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 23-Aug-2013, 6:00 PM   #8
teleview

Test reception with the antenna ->Down Lower<- , for reception under the power lines for Canada Tv stations.

Reception Must Not Be Impeded And Blocked by the building in the directions of reception.

The directions of , South East , North , North West , West.

Do Double Rescans.