TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 14-Mar-2014, 12:17 AM   #1
bobotech

Best type of antenna for using with a DVR like a TIVO

I am in the process of moving to a new location. The new location already has an antenna on the side of the home that is about 25 feet tall.

The issue I am having is that one of the main channels doesn't seem to come in but should. I am worried that I will have to put a rotor on the antenna to get that channel. That messes up the ability to use a DVR of some sort. I have a Tivo but I want to build a HTPC with a steaming feed device like the Silicondust HD Homerun device or maybe a dual internal ATSC tuner with XBMC.

If I have to use an antenna rotor, then I won't be able to reliably record using the DVR functions.

Are there any solutions? Can you use 2 antennas for the same feed? The main one for all the channels except for the one that doesn't come in and the other for the problem channel?
bobotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Mar-2014, 3:56 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

Without a TV Fool report for the location we are at quite a disadvantage, lacking vital information about your situation.

To answer the question implied by "Best type of antenna for using with a DVR like a TIVO", The best antenna in one situation may be entirely inappropriate in another.

Like you, I have concluded that a rotator is an encumbrance to my ability to PVR/DVR. I own and operate several HDHR tuners which are connected to several separate fixed aim antennas. See: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=820

If there is only one signal that requires a separate antenna, a tuned combiner may be a solution. As you add more signals the cost and complexity of single channel tuned filters quickly becomes less practical.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Mar-2014, 7:05 AM   #3
teleview

+=>
-----
The best antenna is the antenna that is for your Receivable Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels.

The antenna or antennas will be a antenna that is selected to keep Multi-Path at a Minimum for the Best Signal Quality.

And provides sufficient signal strength.

Please make and post a Tvfool Radar and Channel List Report.

Use the Exact address of the reception location to make the report.

Make the antenna height in the report 25 feet above ground.

A antenna height of 25 feet above ground is a Reference antenna height that provides a good initial evaluation of what is receivable.