TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 11-Apr-2020, 2:34 PM   #1
Caveman007

Help with reception and maybe new antenna

https://www.rabbitears.info/searchma...study_id=78667

Hi all I am having problems with reception. I do not know if I need a new antenna and amplifier
( I think the antenna I have is like an RCA 3036 with a few less vhf reflectors ) . I'm having some channels fade in and out a lot.
My antenna is about 30 ft up with a radioshack UHF/VHF/FM amplifier model 15-1109. The coax is rg6 about 100 ft. This goes to a 4 way splitter there is 4 tv,s with 2 runs of about 30 ft one 40 ft and one 10 ft.

there are trees in neighbor's yard which probably doesnt help but I cannot move the tower to a different location. I will try to attache a couple of pictures and tvfool report. sorry cannot upload picture of antenna.

Thanks all

P.S. Could someone suggest the optimal direction for pointing my antenna. Please
Attached Images
File Type: png Radar-All2.png (70.9 KB, 800 views)
File Type: jpg Trees.JPG (95.0 KB, 759 views)
File Type: jpg Antenna. 2 .JPG (20.5 KB, 664 views)

Last edited by Caveman007; 16-Apr-2020 at 8:17 PM. Reason: adding Rabbit ears info
Caveman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-May-2020, 12:23 PM   #2
Caveman007

Wow been on here for over 3 weeks and no response. Did I post in the wrong place?
Old 7-May-2020, 2:56 PM   #3
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman007 View Post
Wow been on here for over 3 weeks and no response. Did I post in the wrong place?
Hello, Caveman007; welcome to the forum.

You didn't post in the wrong place, it's just that this forum is dying. The forum has a very small staff, the signal reports are no longer accurate, and the certificate for the site has not been renewed. Without the certificate, the site is no longer secure.

If you look at the counter for your attachments, you will see that many people have read your thread. But, even if they have read your thread, they might not feel able to give any useful answers to your questions.

There are two other forums that are more active; you can try posting your questions there.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdtv-technical/

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/81-...al-television/

Thank you for the rabbitears.info signal report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman007 View Post
I am having problems with reception. I do not know if I need a new antenna and amplifier
( I think the antenna I have is like an RCA 3036 with a few less vhf reflectors ) . I'm having some channels fade in and out a lot.

there are trees in neighbor's yard which probably doesnt help but I cannot move the tower to a different location.

Could someone suggest the optimal direction for pointing my antenna. Please
What channels are important to you?

What channels are giving you trouble?

As long as the trees stay in the signal path, they will cause reception problems. Trees block TV signals.

Your antenna is very directional, so it must be aimed at the channels you want to receive.

Your preamp is very old; if it's still working don't replace it yet.

You can try replacing the 4-way splitter with a Channel Master CM-3414 distribution amp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Caveman007TVFmap.JPG (72.8 KB, 1583 views)
File Type: jpg Caveman007TVFant2_1.JPG (71.3 KB, 1307 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 7-May-2020 at 4:20 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-May-2020, 10:37 AM   #4
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Hi Rabbit !

Very cool of you to stop by The Forum and say hello and help this gentleman. As usual you have offered Sound Advice. It's quite the shame that this forum is dying off. And it's been a slow, slow death.

I often wonder how much work it takes to keep something like this going. I even thought, wouldn't it be cool if somebody bought this website and revamped it? I wonder what it would even cost to buy it? It seems like the framework is there.

Okay, sorry to derail this thread. I saw your name and I just had to reply, just like the old days over here!
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-May-2020, 12:03 PM   #5
Caveman007

First I would like to Thank Rabbit for his reply. I will look to replace the splitter and see if that helps. My wife really doesn't like me being on the roof anymore being I'm 70, and for the channels the channel 50 doesnt come in anymore.
Its too bad the forum is dying I've always come here to look at new information. I will try to post in the other forums and look for a bi directional antenna.

Thanks again for the help.