Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 30-Aug-2016, 3:58 PM   #21
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Db4e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
You can do the same thing with a C4V. For either model, you'd' still have to mount the VHF dipole separately to the mast so you would also need a taller mast. I've suggested these two models since omitting the reflector is all that's necessary to make the antenna bi-directional.

If I was doing it for myself, I'd use the DB4e as the basis and remove it's reflectors even though that involves drilling out several rivets. It's still a lot more performance for a lower price, it's just that the Db4e isn't sold in retail stores since it's so much larger than the compact ClearStream models. You can easily pick up one of the ClearStream antennas at a local store same day.
Time is not an issue, but value is and the DB4E looks to be the better value. Hell, Amazon can have that antenna here tomorrow if need be.

I was going to suggest a slightly taller mast anyhow, to get the antenna up above the chimney, and just to get a small advantage on the trees..

Another thing, with the reflector removed, there would appear to be less wind drag than his VU120XR. With the chimney mount, that's important.

When I spoke with him, he doesn't want a rotator, so a multi-directional antenna is what he needs. Plus, rescanning every time you change markets is not cool either.

The only VHF Hi channels are real 12 (2.1) in Chicago and real 8 (10.1-10.4) in Milwaukee. Will the DB4 antenna pick those up?

Thanks, Bob
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Aug-2016, 4:55 PM   #22
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
Will the DB4 antenna pick those up?
You should address VHF separately, I don't often recommend trying to use a UHF antenna for VHF reception, especially when the signals are not already strong.

Your plot in post #1 suggests that the incoming VHF stations should be plenty strong for the simple VHF dipole kit to receive. I would plan on mounting it above the reflector-less DB4e, perhaps 2' above the upper-most bowtie element.

Getting the antenna above any trees will go a long way towards improving or maintaining reliable reception.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Oct-2016, 2:25 PM   #23
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Follow up, case closed.

Hi all,
I wanted to thank Rabbit73, AD Tech, Tigerbangs, RickBB, Wizwor and other for their input.

I just wanted to do some housekeeping here and close the case of my friend Ron's antenna situation. He has what he wants now and doesn't want to spend any money since he has Chicago good and even some Milwaukee channels without changing anything except the aim and a couple connections. I had it resolved a few weeks ago, but I had to finish the job and the day before yesterday, I had time, the weather was good and I had just enough light to get back on his roof.

What I found:

In his basement, he had the antenna disconnected it appears. In fact, I had to do a lot of probing to find what was the actual down lead from his antenna/Satellite combo on his chimney.

The two stations he was picking up were actually without an antenna.

He has what appeared to be a sophisticated distribution with at least 10 Coax cables routed all over his house by way of all kinds of splitters and an amp:

I imagine this is left over from his Direct TV installation. Seems like it may have been used as an attenuator & 7db loss on all ports? Wow! :

Now his amp. Does anyone know if this will work for his antenna system, should he want to hook up the splitters again and send signal to each room? Or is it an satellite only amp? I saw no amp up on top of the roof. :

To simplify things, I just ran his antenna lead direct to this connector, and ran one lead up to his tuner. That got him 75-80 % on Sony signal meter on most strong Chicago stations:

So, the other day, I went back on his roof, removed the combiner, satellite and TV antenna were joined, I didn't know it was possible. I replaced the combiner with a barrel connector so he had antenna signal only. The sat dish is dead anyways.

I spoke with him on my cell while he watched the signal meter and aimed the antenna since his rotator is broken and he won't buy a new one. There is some 10-20 degrees of free movement coming from inside his rotator and I told him about it but he is really frugal, and says it is what it is.

Also amazingly, the antenna points directly into some pine trees that are at least 10 feet higher than the antenna but a good 60 feet away. I wanted him to eliminate the rotator and put a few more feet of mast up, but again, he wasn't willing to do much financially, so I gave up on helping him because he wants everything to be free.

Anyhow, here's a photo of his Sony signal meter, his strongest channels. The channels displayed are the REAL Channels:

Channel 7.1 WLS (ABC)(UHF)

CH 2.1 WBBM (CBS) (VHF):

Channel 32.1 WFLD (FOX)(UHF):

IN closing, we even got some of the strongest Milwaukee stations off the back of the antenna. Since he didn't care about Milwaukee, I guess they are a bonus.

Originally, I wanted him to get a bay type antenna like a DB4e, remove the reflector or get a DB8e and split the aim between Chicago and Milwaukee. He sounded interested but when he saw what he can get for free he changed his mind, he isn't interested in spending any money, even for a cheap Chinese copy HDB8X or HDB4X antenna.

I doubt I will get back on his roof . Remember, no good deed should go unpunished!

Thanks, Bob

Attachment 2414

Attachment 2415

Attachment 2416

Attachment 2417

Attachment 2418

Attachment 2419

Attachment 2420
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161024_183857.jpg (109.7 KB, 1327 views)
File Type: jpg 20161024_183802.jpg (100.6 KB, 1378 views)
File Type: jpg 20161024_183904.jpg (164.7 KB, 1363 views)
File Type: jpg 20161024_184207.jpg (57.2 KB, 1394 views)
File Type: jpg 20161024_184517.jpg (90.6 KB, 1388 views)
File Type: jpg 20161024_185733.jpg (80.7 KB, 1361 views)

Last edited by bobsgarage; 27-Oct-2016 at 2:52 PM.
Old 27-Oct-2016, 3:14 PM   #24
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

The splitter and amp are probably left over from a CATV setup, neither are suitable for satellite. Both may, however, be used for antenna signals assuming they're still serviceable. I've never seeing either branded item before but both appear to be typical for their genre.

Glad it's worked out for the guy.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Apr-2020, 11:01 PM   #25
davodavo

Those "wings" -- and which way they should point..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsgarage View Post
Also, I noticed that these little "wings" were not symmetrical, I believe the wind has moved them. They will adjust, Rivets are not too tight.

What are they? FM antennas?

At any rate should the be adjusted perpendicular to the boom, or how?

Thanks again!

Attachment 2270
I have a newer AntennaCraft beast (made just before RS went under) and I had the same issue with those "wings". All the info around made it clear that they should be parallel with the main boom ... but none of the diagrams or instructions indicated whether they should be pointed "forward" (reaching out over the UHF parasitic elements) or "backward" (reaching toward the mast and the enter of the reflectors.

After only about 45 minutes, I found a couple of pictures that show those little wings pointed forward, and found no pictures showing the other direction. So...either that's correct or "everyone gets it wrong"...now, including me.
davodavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-May-2020, 12:16 PM   #26
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davodavo View Post
I have a newer AntennaCraft beast (made just before RS went under) and I had the same issue with those "wings". All the info around made it clear that they should be parallel with the main boom ... but none of the diagrams or instructions indicated whether they should be pointed "forward" (reaching out over the UHF parasitic elements) or "backward" (reaching toward the mast and the enter of the reflectors.

After only about 45 minutes, I found a couple of pictures that show those little wings pointed forward, and found no pictures showing the other direction. So...either that's correct or "everyone gets it wrong"...now, including me.
Thanks Davodavo!

Well, it's interesting the amount of information that can be found if you're willing to dig. Different search words etcetera.

Thanks for providing that information., hopefully it'll help somebody in the future. As for my friend, he's streaming now. But he won't pay for her the channels he really wants. I tried to offer him several Solutions and didn't charge him any labor. I had to let that one go!