TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 20-Jan-2014, 9:49 PM   #1
jmc1987

Getting OTA signals in Washington, PA

Hello, this is my first post here.

I've had Comcast limited basic cable - which consists of pretty much all local channels - for a few years, because I was able to get a better deal on Internet with it bundled. However, a few months ago, they started decrypting signals, so I had to use this awful little box that had no programmability and only output in SD. So, when I discovered that I could get rid of the cable, my total bill would be about $20 cheaper and almost everything I was receiving was available OTA, I decided to just get an antenna and will soon be dropping their cable service.

However, I've discovered that my area - Washington, PA - seems to be in a weird spot for digital TV signals. It's sort of in the middle of several different transmitters, but most are about 10-30 miles away. I live in an apartment, so mounting an outdoor antenna is out of the question, so I gave a shot to a cheap RCA flat antenna I found at Walmart. I was able to get one channel to come in - and not very well - in my bedroom and nothing elsewhere.

I ordered an RCA ANT1650 on Amazon, hoping the extra amplification might be able to at least get some of the closer signals. Has anyone here had any experience with this unit and do you think it'll actually work? Here is my coverage map:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b942e636f4e53

I should add that I rarely even watch live TV, but would like to at least have a couple channels in case of emergencies or special occasions like New Years Eve. Really, as long as I can get one of the NBC affiliates in my area, I'll be happy.

Last edited by jmc1987; 20-Jan-2014 at 11:20 PM.
jmc1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jan-2014, 9:55 PM   #2
jmc1987

Also, another thing to add: Channel 20 on there did come through as an analog channel on the passive antenna I first tried, but there was no picture and the sound was actually a local radio station.
Old 20-Jan-2014, 11:42 PM   #3
teleview

+=>
-----
The Tv Must Channel Scan for the , ATSC-Digital Broadcast Tv Stations Channels , often named the ~DTV Channels ~ Antenna Channels ~ Air Channels ~ in the Tv setup menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some Digital Tv's will Automatic channel scan for cable Tv channels.

DO NOT channel scan for cable Tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Menu and select ~ DTV Channels ~ Antenna Channels ~ Air Channels ~ .

Channel Scan for , ATSC-Digital Broadcst Tv Stations/Channels.

Also Digital Tuners can develop -Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Resacn.

www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf

-------------------

Put a , TERK HDTVi ( not HDTVa ) antenna in a , window or patio/balcony window or patio/balcony door window , that as a first choice faces , North East.

If not North East , then North or East.

Aim the HDTVi antenna at about 46 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim indoor and outdoor Tv antennas.

www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Extend the dipole reception rods out and put the dipole reception rods in a Low vee position.

Window glass passes Tv signals easier then walls.

If the coax from the antenna runs through the apartment to get from the antenna to the Tv , then that is the way it is.

Why??

Reason , Reliable Reception Is More Important Then objections to coax running through the apartment.
Old 22-Jan-2014, 12:55 AM   #4
jmc1987

Well, I already have the RCA ANT1650 on the way from Amazon, so I'll give it a shot first. If it doesn't work, I'll return it and go for the Terk HDTVi.
Old 22-Jan-2014, 10:06 AM   #5
StephanieS

Hello JMC,

When you said you are limited by indoor only options, I honestly groaned. Your situation is populated by many 1-edge and 2-edge situations. This means with an antenna system outdoors, you don't have line of sight due to terrain blockages. These situations create "quirks" in that the signals may not behave as line of sight signals do. They may bounce, shift, be prone to multipath and drop out randomly. The bottom line here is they are challenging signals and being outdoors is your best chance at them.

I mention this because, you can try the RCA and the TERK. I would go in not though expecting to have all the network affiliates in drop out free quality.

Indoor antennas aren't ideal. Combine that with 1-edge and 2-edge signals, it's a recipe for disappointing results.

Don't mean to be a downer, but that limitation keeping you indoors may make this an unsatisfying venture.

Cheers.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jan-2014, 4:47 PM   #6
jmc1987

I figured it'd lead to a groan, judging by other posts here, but when you're a renter, putting up an antenna just doesnt work sometimes. Honestly, I watch so little live TV, even just a few channels would be alright. However, I do have the benefit of living in a 2 floor apartment, so there's always the option to just use it in the upstairs bedroom. I was able to get a spotty signal for KDKA from upstairs with the crappy antenna I tried for $10, so there's at least hope for up there.
Old 31-Jan-2014, 10:50 PM   #7
jmc1987

I got the RCA ANT1600 today and gave it a shot. It's actually working alright, with 11 channels coming in, but only hanging on the wall in one certain spot which is actually far away from my sliding glass doors (the only window in the area). In the window, I can only get 1 channel (KDKA). I tried the window in the upstairs bedroom and KDKA barely came in. I could get WPXI to come in if I put it by the wall facing Northeast, so I'll be keeping it downstairs.

Interestingly, I'm only getting channels from the Northeast, all of which are from 2-edge signals. None of the 1-edge signals are coming in and I have to use the included signal amplifier to get them at all. Also interesting, WTAE doesn't come in at all, but plenty of signals that should be weaker and harder to pick up are coming in fine.

I wish I could get WTAE and WQED, but with my situation and an indoor antenna, I can't really complain much. But at least WPXI - the Pittsburgh NBC affiliate - is coming in... they have MeTV as a sub-channel, so I can watch Star Trek and the '60s Batman series again.
Old 3-Feb-2014, 5:03 PM   #8
jmc1987

Anyone have any explanation for this?

I know the amplifier I use isn't supposed to actually enhance the quality the antenna picks up, but this doesn't seem to be the case. If a signal is breaking up, I've discovered elevating or moving the amplifier seems to help it come in. Not sure if it's from the cable movement slightly moving the antenna or if the location of the amp actually helps with reception.