TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Special Forums > TV Fool Discussion / Database Updates > TV Database Updates

Notices

Old 10-May-2012, 4:20 AM   #1
retired17

Different results for WBME, plot vs Map

At Zip Code 60099, WBME's Noise Margin in Radar Plot (31.6) doesn't match what is shown in Maps (10.6).
retired17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-May-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
Dave Loudin

Are you comparing an exact address or a zip code against the exact placement of the receive icon in the "start maps" option?
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-May-2012, 2:46 PM   #3
retired17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Loudin View Post
Are you comparing an exact address or a zip code against the exact placement of the receive icon in the "start maps" option?
I just enter the zip code both times. The ranges (46 miles) and directions in both cases are the same. Just the Noise Margins and the Received Powers are different.
Old 10-May-2012, 7:48 PM   #4
Dave Loudin

Hmm. Are you comparing radar plot to radar plot, then? Are there other stations that have this symptom?

No matter, if you are going to use the tool, you should use the exact receive location. It's easier to do with the maps option, as you can drag the receive icon to the right place, zooming in the map as needed, then updating the antenna height and clicking the make radar plot button.
Old 10-May-2012, 8:57 PM   #5
retired17

I understand what you want me to do, but I was wondering if you have actually run TVFool in the 'Check your address for Free TV' option and the 'See which TV stations you can get on a map' option. That's when I get different results when I just put in the Zip Code 60099, nothing else.

If that is wrong then post a note on the Home Page stating you may get different results if you do what I just said.
Old 11-May-2012, 7:16 PM   #6
Dave Loudin

I have run that option for many, many locations without such a problem. Please don't run with just a zip code - it defeats the purpose of having reasonably accurate terrain taken into account.
Old 11-May-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
retired17

Dear Dave,

You are absolutely correct. Putting in a specific address does yield the same results with both options. Thank you for taking the time to investigate. Like you said, using zip codes alone may not always produce accurate results.