TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 26-Apr-2012, 9:01 AM   #1
ant

Question Can't get OTA feeds to all three rooms with a big house's existing coax cable setups?

Hello.

When a new attic antenna (RCA ANT-751) was attempted to connect to a existing main coax cable line that was used for the previous owner's Dish TV service, it only worked in the big house's family room but not the other two smaller rooms.

I would assume OTA still work after disconnecting Dish satellite to an attic antenna. Others and I could not figure out why these two rooms don't get anything. We don't know if there are disconnected cables inside the walls. Or maybe these coax cables are too old? The previous owner said that all three rooms worked with his Dish service before he moved out several months ago.

Does OTA need something special for these splitters and shared main coax cable line? I did notice one room had a coax cable device with its power AC connector for a power outlet. I don't know if that is the problem.

Thank you in advance.
ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Apr-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
signals unlimited

Satellite splitters must be replaced with splitters designed for DTV. They They are typically will be 50 - 1000 MHZ. The coax will be re-usable. Remove everything in the path from the antenna to the DTV sets and replace with DTV products. Be sure that your DTV sets are configured to receive ANTENNA not cable also look for an option that says AIR, then scan channels. You will find these option in your menu.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Apr-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
ant

Quote:
Originally Posted by signals unlimited View Post
Satellite splitters must be replaced with splitters designed for DTV. They They are typically will be 50 - 1000 MHZ. The coax will be re-usable. Remove everything in the path from the antenna to the DTV sets and replace with DTV products. Be sure that your DTV sets are configured to receive ANTENNA not cable also look for an option that says AIR, then scan channels. You will find these option in your menu.
Thanks. thought that splitter was compatible with OTA antenna. I will go try an used RadioShack's coax cable splitter I use for my old CRT TVs and computer HDTV tuners at old home.

Last edited by ant; 26-Apr-2012 at 12:21 PM.
ant is offline   Reply With Quote