TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 5-May-2018, 8:36 PM   #1
markfromct

Antenna suggestions

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...903880566c1082

A few years ago I was going to install an outdoor antenna and for various reasons never got around it. So recently just out of curiosity I tried a Clearstream Eclipse amplified indoor antenna and was suprised that I got all the locals.

But, I am not getting good signal strength with real channels 11(wwlp) 10(wtnh) and 22(wgby). As you can see I have stations in 3 different locations and would like to receive them all.

If I remember correctly someone suggested a 4-bay aimed at 292 degrees. Is that the best solution?

Thanks everyone!
markfromct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-May-2018, 4:15 AM   #2
Nascarken
Banned

So I gess you are in Massachusetts becuse of where the tower is located.
Wwlp news center 22.if you are going too put an outdoor tv antenna
I suggest the Winegrud 8200u.have you done a tv Fool report ?
And I am in Springfield Massachusetts.
Nascarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-May-2018, 1:44 PM   #3
markfromct

I am in Connecticut, east of Hartford. My FOOL report is in my first post.
Old 7-May-2018, 6:46 PM   #4
jrgagne99

I think a 4-bay aimed at ~290 magnetic is a good idea for all of your UHF channels. The aperture should be wide enough to pull in a lot of the signals from all three directions. How strong is your desire for the VHF-hi channels? (Real-10, Real-11) and soon-to-be-VHF-hi Real-22 (moving to 13 after repack). These each come from a different direction as well. There is a slight chance that a 4-bay such as the DB4e will receive these VHF-hi signals out of the box, but not very likely IMO. Adding a VHF kit to a 4-bay may pull them in, maybe not. If these stations are really important to you, instead of the VHF-kit, you could try adding the MCM-30-2476 or it's little brother, the 30-2475, using a quality UVSJ. Or instead of the 4bay + VHF approach, you could try the Winegard 7694P or maybe Denny's Stacker... both have decently broad (aperture) UHF and VHF-hi capability.
jrgagne99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-May-2018, 7:42 PM   #5
markfromct

Thanks! Real ch 11 out of Springfield is a want because they carry the Patriots pre-season games. Also, real ch 26(WGGB) is easier to get then ch 10(WTNH) out of New Haven. Maybe I should forget the ABC station in New Hvven and just go for the one in Springfield
Old 10-May-2018, 10:36 PM   #6
markfromct

Would the Clearstream 2max used indoors get better reception then the amplified eclipse
Old 11-May-2018, 12:48 AM   #7
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

I'd expect a 2MAX, when paired with the indoor amp, to do much better than would the Eclipse (with amp). In particular, VHF reception will be hugely improved.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-May-2018, 10:56 AM   #8
markfromct

Thanks ADTech. I was hoping I could find another indoor antenna that would get the real ch 10,11 and 26 more consistently then the eclipse. I was really suprised how good the Eclipse did, I really thought I would have needed an outside antenna but maybe I will to get all of those stations?
Old 11-May-2018, 10:59 AM   #9
Nascarken
Banned

I suggest the televes Diginova Boss uhf /vhf Amplified Hdtv ANTENNA lite Filter/144180.
80/to90 miles at solid signal IT'S better than that 2MAX junk!!
Try!!the Stellar Labs,30-2445 ANTENNA indoor outdoor uhf/vhf
Omni Directional

Last edited by Nascarken; 11-May-2018 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-May-2018, 11:45 AM   #10
ADTech

Mark,

Our new models, the "Flex" and the picture frame version "View", include a very effective VHF element in addition to the UHF element used in the Eclipse. That's why they're lot larger as the VHF element requires a lot of real estate compared to the UHF loop. The VHF element incorporated into the new models is on par performance-wise with the element on the MAX series of our antennas.

The form factor of your chosen antenna does need to meet the requirements of where you intend to place it. The indoor-only flat models do need to be placed on a flat vertical surface that's roughly perpendicular to the direction that the signals come from for the most predictable results. In contrast, the C2MAX includes a base stand that also allows it to be placed on a horizontal surface when used in its indoor configuration. The C2MAX also comes with a small J-mount so it can be used outdoors or in an attic so it has some additional flexibility.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 11-May-2018, 12:30 PM   #11
Nascarken
Banned

Well AdTeck how come all the rest of ANTENNAS Direct antennas don't offer the AGL,like the 91xg.??
Old 11-May-2018, 12:41 PM   #12
ADTech

I'm sorry, I have no idea what it is that you're calling an "AGL".

Last edited by ADTech; 11-May-2018 at 2:23 PM.
Old 11-May-2018, 3:29 PM   #13
Nascarken
Banned

Well some Teck you are it is so you can adjust the ANTENNA AGL too the tv broadcasting tower's if you have not notices that On your tv fool report antennas higth and AGL means that you put the ANTENNA on a 45 DgAGL.like you can do too the 91xg,and what happened you can not do that too the rest of your antennas Direct Db8 and so on On the DB8 if you put a 45to90,AGL you will see a big improvement of your receive.hello TECK!!!ask Rabite73.lol
Old 11-May-2018, 4:09 PM   #14
ADTech

I'm sorry, I'm still confused. There's nothing on or about our antennas that we refer to by "AGL". The only term associated with antennas that might be reasonably abbreviated as "AGL" that I can think of would be "Above Ground Level". This, of course, has nothing to do with any particular feature of any particular antenna but instead refers to where the user chooses to fasten the mast clamp to the mast or a height above ground the entered into a simulator for the purpose of making calculations regarding signal propagation.

If you could be clearer or more explicit with your question using commonly used and accepted terminology, I might be able to better answer your question or concern.

Last edited by ADTech; 11-May-2018 at 4:17 PM.
Old 11-May-2018, 4:56 PM   #15
Nascarken
Banned

You should probably tack a good look at the 91xg!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
I'm sorry, I'm still confused. There's nothing on or about our antennas that we refer to by "AGL". The only term associated with antennas that might be reasonably abbreviated as "AGL" that I can think of would be "Above Ground Level". This, of course, has nothing to do with any particular feature of any particular antenna but instead refers to where the user chooses to fasten the mast clamp to the mast or a height above ground the entered into a simulator for the purpose of making calculations regarding signal propagation.

If you could be clearer or more explicit with your question using commonly used and accepted terminology, I might be able to better answer your question or concern.
Well you have got it all wrong some Teck. I think you should quit while you're a head. but not by much lol take a close look at the 91xg when you take it out of the BOX!!!! And a close look at the tv Fool report agen higth 10ft AGL45. ask
Rabbit 73 what AGL is.thank you have a good day!!!!
Old 11-May-2018, 5:20 PM   #16
ADTech

I'm sorry, I still have no idea what you're referring to.

Best of luck!

Old 11-May-2018, 6:49 PM   #17
markfromct

adatech,

Can I use the Clearstream amplifier with the c2 max?

Are you suprised that the Eclipse was able to pick up WTNH(real ch 10) which is one edge and 34 miles away?

I tried a competitors 65 mi flat antenna and got half the channels, thought that was interesting. Maybe their amplifier is not as good?
Old 11-May-2018, 8:40 PM   #18
ADTech

Mark,

Sure, you can use the line amp (indoors only, it's not made for the weather) with the C2MAX.

I'm not surprised about receiving WTNH with an Eclipse, but i'm pretty sure that the signals coming off the antenna were probably just barely above the threshold for reception. It would also depend on the age of the Eclipse that you have as the balun was changed a while back and that change had a distinct effect on VHF reception. If you have the white/black version, then it has the "newer" style balun. If it's all off-white non-reversible, then it might have either balun. The later of those antennas had a sticker on the back of the balun housing with a date code on it and used the newer balun. If it is the non-reversible style with no sticker, then it has the original type balun.

Old 13-May-2018, 10:14 PM   #19
markfromct

AdTech,

can I use the cable and amplifier from the Eclipse with the C2 max? That way I wouldn't have to buy more cable.
Old 14-May-2018, 10:57 AM   #20
ADTech

Sure, they're perfectly compatible for indoor use.