TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 29-Jan-2011, 3:13 PM   #1
Avery300

Attempting to make good choice...

Greetings,

I just joined the site today and have been researching which antenna would be best. My location profile is listed:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3cf4e6863559a3

My wife is saying the neighbor went to Wal-Mart and I need to do the same. I would just like to understand the data better to help me get something that I know will function well for our area.

We live in a two story with attic and if I can install in the attic, without must reception loss, then that would be easist for mounting. However, I can mount on the outside also. Would I be able to combine an FM antenna with the install? Both are located in the same area inside the house and would work out great.

Convincing my wife Wal-Mart is not the answer will be easier with knowledge.

Thank you in advance for any feedback and the site is awesome!

Rich
Avery300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Jan-2011, 4:34 PM   #2
Dave Loudin

The Winegard HD7000R is one antenna that will work for FM and all TV channels. The RCA ANT751 will meet your TV needs. You might find one of these at Wal-Mart, but you will also find them at solidsignal.com and other online sources. You might also be able to use the Terk HDTVi indoor antenna. Whatever you do, do not get an antenna with an amplifier, which most, if not all the antennas at WalMart will have.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Jan-2011, 7:34 PM   #3
Esteban

I am not an expert here, but I am familiar with your area. Your challenge will be trying to get WLOS, Ch. 13, just like it was many years. I think if you get it with a good , strong signal, you will be happy with everything else. Depends a lot on your exact location & anything blocking. I would think that roof mount will be the best by far.

Last edited by Esteban; 29-Jan-2011 at 7:58 PM.
Esteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jan-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

WLOS at your location is LOS = Line of Sight. Line of sight is good. If no buildings or trees are in the way then if your eyes are at the same height as the receiving antenna and the transmitting antenna is close enough to see with your eyes then it's LOS. And if the transmitting antenna is more distance away and you can see the transmitting antenna with the aid of binoculars or a telescope , then thats still LOS.

Last edited by John Candle; 30-Jan-2011 at 10:59 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jan-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

You are correct , choosing the correct Tv antenna needs more thought and research then going to Wal-Mart and buying generic or name brand bleach. . This post makes an interesting read. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=1280

Last edited by John Candle; 30-Jan-2011 at 11:13 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote