TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 26-Nov-2013, 4:51 PM   #1
randomguy

Long distance reception with Clearstream 2V...Southeastern PA

Equipment:

Clearstream 2V antenna: mast mount/apox. 25 feet up.
Winegard 8700 preamp

TV Fool Report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae73d9dba558

I'm looking for tips or suggestions on how I might be able to get more channels from my location. Or, confirmation that I am asking for too much.

Currently, I scan close to 60 channels (includes subs) total...which is great.
I'm receiving all local channels with good signal.The surprise for me was when I picked up 21 CBS out of Harrisburg,PA which is 70-80 miles away. That makes me think that I "might" be able to get more from that area. Also, when I scan for channels, I notice some channels seem to lock in but do not appear after the scan. The TV that does that is a 6 year old Mitsubishi DLP. When it scans, channels that turn from red to green should be available channels. I don't think I am confusing the real vs. virtual channel number either...they just do not tune in after the scan. So, I'm not sure what's going on there.

I have done a manual scan through my Homeworx HW-150PVR and going through that tuner, it shows strong signal strength on some channels but those channels do not come in either. I didn't write them down so I don't remember which ones they are. It was something I noticed when doing a manual scan.

Currently, the antenna is facing towards the south east...in the Philadelphia direction. If I move it more towards the south, that is when I picked up the CBS station in Harrisburg, which is to the west. Aiming the antenna to the north or west did not bring in any of the other channels shown. They seem to be closer (not by much) than Harrisburg.

I was getting most of the Philly stations and Harrisburg CBS 21 at the same time but lost 21 after moving the antenna. Since I already have Philly CBS, I left it as it is now. Plus, I was tired of aiming/scanning over and over again.

Things to mention:

100+ feet of RG6 from antenna to 4 way splitter. All tv's receive same stations except one. Bedroom tv was not scanning 57 (CW) so I did a double rescan (disconnect antenna first). Now it gets 57 but not 2.1 (MeTV). That doesn't really matter since I get 69.3, also MeTV...thought I would mention it.

I rent, so I can not mount the antenna on the roof.

I can possibly go 5 feet higher if need.

There are tall trees in the yard 30 ft. +

Given my location and my CS 2V antenna with Winegard preamp, does anyone have any thoughts on options for bringing in other stations in the area? Different antenna...two antennas...preamp...location...forget about it?

If I left anything out, let me know and I will report back.

Thanks.
randomguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Nov-2013, 6:57 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

You will get the best results when the front of the antenna faces the direction from the which the signals are coming. The C2V has an effective "front window" of around 65-70°. By design, there are directions which contain nulls or dead spots where little to no signal comes in.

Does WPVI (ch 6.x) come in?

Quote:
confirmation that I am asking for too much.
Maybe. It depends on what, specifically you've asked for.

Quote:
I notice some channels seem to lock in but do not appear after the scan.
That means that the tuner detected something on that channel, but the signal is too weak or distorted to actually decode the data.

Quote:
There are tall trees in the yard 30 ft. +
Are they in the signal path?

Quote:
Harrisburg CBS 21
Intermittent reception of more distant signals is not unusual during certain kinds of weather. Such propagation usually lasts up to a few hours or a day but usually won't be reliable.

Quote:
I can possibly go 5 feet higher if need.
Give it a shot if it's within your capability.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Nov-2013, 7:26 PM   #3
teleview

+=>
-------
Best to have a antenna up higher and in the clear in the directions of reception.

Here are some ways to install antenna/s higher.

Without holes in the roof.

www.ronard.com/ychim.html
Measure around the chimney and use a , ronard(2212) , ronard(2218) , ronard(2224) .

www.ronard.com/34424560.html
Use the , ronard(4560)

www.ronard.com/ventmnt.html
A vent mount.

www.ronard.com/tree_adjust.html
The idea is to find a tree that is tall and straight and clear of obstructions of other trees in directions of reception.
It is Ok to cut branches away to improve reception and prevent damage to the antenna.

Buy the ronard antenna mounts at , www.solidsignal.com , by typing , ronard(x) , I the solidsignal search box or buy from , www.ronard.com .
-----------

www.palcoelectronics.com/pe300.aspx

-------

Last edited by teleview; 26-Nov-2013 at 9:34 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 26-Nov-2013, 7:42 PM   #4
randomguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
You will get the best results when the front of the antenna faces the direction from the which the signals are coming. The C2V has an effective "front window" of around 65-70°. By design, there are directions which contain nulls or dead spots where little to no signal comes in.

Does WPVI (ch 6.x) come in?

Yes. WPVI comes in with very good to 100% signal depending on antenna position.

Maybe. It depends on what, specifically you've asked for.

I am asking what can I do do get more channels that are shown in my TV Fool report.

That means that the tuner detected something on that channel, but the signal is too weak or distorted to actually decode the data.

Right. Is there anything I can do to help pull it in those signals since it is being detected?

Are they in the signal path?

There is one tree in front of the antenna about 20 feet away. When I first put up the antenna about 1.5 months ago there were leaves on it.Now there are none.However, I was getting the same stations as I am now. The other trees are much larger but not as close to the antenna.

Intermittent reception of more distant signals is not unusual during certain kinds of weather. Such propagation usually lasts up to a few hours or a day but usually won't be reliable.

It was fairly reliable when I had the antenna to the south. Though, for some strange reason on the weekends it was sometimes an issue getting the signal at all.

Give it a shot if it's within your capability.
It shouldn't be a problem.

Can an antenna be too high? It seems that the CBS 21 in Harrisburg was easier to pick up when the antenna was a little lower. However, I have moved that thing up and down and rotated it so many times I lost track of everything.
Old 26-Nov-2013, 8:00 PM   #5
randomguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
+=>
-------
Best to have a antenna up higher and in the clear in the directions of reception.

Here are some ways to install antenna/s higher.

Without holes in the roof.
Thanks but I don't want to put it on the roof. Well, I would like to try it actually, just to see the results but I don't want to be climbing up there.

I made my own mast and had permission from the owner to attach it to the outside wall. I put it next to a window so I can just reach out and adjust it from there.

My issue was if it would be safe in high winds since it was so high up. Well, we just had 40-50 mph winds over the weekend and it didn't move. So, I think I could go a little higher after I add an extension on to the mast.
Old 30-Nov-2013, 1:31 AM   #6
randomguy

I got the mast up another 5 feet but now I lost channels.

I went from 59 before raising the antenna down to 43. That was after spending a couple hours rotating and re-scanning over and over again.

Why am I losing so many? Isn't higher better for reception?

Also, I'm back to having the same issue on the bedroom TV. Channel 57 does not come in but on the other TV's it does.
Old 30-Nov-2013, 2:47 AM   #7
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Why am I losing so many? Isn't higher better for reception?
Generally higher is better, in that there is more signal to be intercepted. If that happens to put the antenna in a spot that has more interfering signal, it could work against you.

As ADTech mentioned already, signals from outside a market can show up intermittently, due to transient atmospheric conditions. That's nice if the distant signal does not conflict with a local signal.

It sounds like you could have intermittent 'skip', a blessing or curse depending on whether it results in interference to locals. You could have a wiring problem, bad coax or connector. It's possible the current antenna elevation places it in a 'dead spot'. Or, you could be facing a mix of these issues.

Start simple, then build the system back out to a fully deployed installation. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13646 The basic idea behind that test is to prove the functionality of the antenna. If the antenna is not delivering a usable signal, amplifiers, splitters and cable will all further complicate diagnosing the problem(s).

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Nov-2013, 3:01 PM   #8
randomguy

I'm confident that the outside equipment is not faulty, since I am getting reception. The only thing I did different was raising the antenna another 5 feet.

Another thing I noticed is that it's not just channel 57 giving me problems. Each TV has a couple of channels that it can't tune in but the others can. They are 51,52,57. But, at one time (before raising the antenna) they got all of them.

So for now,I will probably lower it again and get it back to where it was. I may consider trying a completely different location in the yard at some point.