TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 29-Nov-2013, 12:57 AM   #1
Outerorbiter

Channel help

Why would a channel be found during scan on one TV set but not on another using the same antenna? The channel comes in strong and clear on one but get nothing from that channel on the other. TV sets share a line from outdoor antenna via a plain 2 way splitter. Will any amplified splitter help?
Outerorbiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Nov-2013, 1:08 AM   #2
Outerorbiter

Thought I would add the tv only a few months old is missing the channel and it uses the oldest rg6 in the house
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...b1a83daf632cc1
Antennas Direct - ClearStream Digital TV Antenna C4 pointing approx 10*

Last edited by Outerorbiter; 29-Nov-2013 at 1:26 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 29-Nov-2013, 3:54 AM   #3
StephanieS

Outerorbiter,

Welcome to the forum. Interesting you pose this question. I recently had a private discussion with GroundUrMast about a problem I was having similar to this.

My situation was that with a 6' jumper between my antenna and preamp, my Antennas Direct 91xg with an RCA preamp, I LOST my weakest signal on the second TV with the main TV having a larger case of breakups. Prior I had had a 12' jumper that worked pretty good the signal being reliable on both TVs. I only changed to the shorter jumper to get the preamp closer to the antenna. Returning my set up to the 12' jumper, both TVs have solid and 99% reliable reception. I know I didn't have bad coax jumpers. The only thing left is that the run's length had a harmonic in the RF 22 vicinity.

Are you using a preamp? If so, what length of jumper are you using?

TVs have varying qualities of tuners. If you can, swap short leads that split to test if you have bad coax on the second TV. You'll be able to isolate it down pretty quick if it's a coax issue. If with coaxes reversed you still have the problem, you've deduced it down to tuner or perhaps a harmonic.

Which signal this is occurring with? With a little more detail we can begin to isolate this out even more.

Regards,
SS

Last edited by StephanieS; 29-Nov-2013 at 3:56 AM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Nov-2013, 4:35 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

Yes, one of the first thoughts that comes to mind is, there are differences between tuners. Some can tolerate low signal quality better than others.

Then, the CS4 is a great UHF antenna. However, it is not intended to serve well as a VHF antenna. I'm quite curious to know which signal(s) are giving you trouble. If they are real channels such as 8 or 10, you'll need to consider the use of a High-VHF antenna. This could be your source of quality trouble. I'd suggest the Antennacraft Y5713 + a UHF/VHF signal combiner. Also, Antennas Direct offers a dipole option, http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/...-Assembly.html

http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/...Combiners.html

To answer your question re. amplification as a fix... You have plenty of signal power in the air. An amplifier could overload, leaving you with less reliable reception. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13646

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 29-Nov-2013 at 4:39 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Nov-2013, 3:30 PM   #5
Outerorbiter

The channel I'm having problems with is 8.1/8.2/8.3. No pre amp and the splitter is just a cheap two way splitter cable company had left behind. Noticed this morn it was coming in weaker on the one tv that works good at night. I have antenna pointing in between the Atlanta stations and the 8 DTV to try and help get them both. I have another tv I would like to run the coax to. Would this need an amp-splitter or would it overload signal too much. No amp needed for the two tv setup for sure, maybe need a better splitter that's non powered, or rotate antenna some?

Last edited by Outerorbiter; 29-Nov-2013 at 4:02 PM.
Old 29-Nov-2013, 6:11 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

Just to be certain, 8.1 means WGTV, PBS... right?

If that's true, the addition of an Antennacraft Y5713 + UHF/VHF combiner is my recommendation.

Old 29-Nov-2013, 6:21 PM   #7
Outerorbiter

Yes WGTV is the one and if it's VHF That's why I have random reception of 11.1. Will the equipment suggestion work seamlessly with what I have now as in just plug and play basically? Does the combiner go on roof or in the house? Thanks so much already! Also will this new antenna attach to my reflector panels or will it need a new mast because what I have now fills up the entire j mast already

Last edited by Outerorbiter; 29-Nov-2013 at 6:43 PM.
Old 29-Nov-2013, 6:48 PM   #8
GroundUrMast

The AD combiner is equipped with a housing that mounts to the antenna mast. You can mount the two antennas on the same mast if there is room. It's best to have at least 3' of separation between the antennas, more is better. The antennas don't have to be on the same mast though.

The combiner has three ports, one for the UHF antenna, one for the VHF antenna and an output to feed the coax leading into the house. The combiner is a tuned filter that prevents undesired interaction between the two antennas, it has no adjustments. Pretty much plug and play... just optimize the aim of each antenna before tightening the mounting clamps fully.

Old 29-Nov-2013, 6:52 PM   #9
Outerorbiter

If I put a three way splitter in for a third tv can it be a regular one or powered? Thanks for the help will be trying this soon!
Old 29-Nov-2013, 6:54 PM   #10
GroundUrMast

I would try this with a non-powered splitter. In the very unlikely event that a distribution amplifier is needed, it can be added later, if the need is proven.

Old 29-Nov-2013, 6:55 PM   #11
Outerorbiter

Thanks again