TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 2-Apr-2015, 2:50 AM   #1
ScottAD

Question Help! Picking an indoor antennae in NC

So we purchased a GE antenna and it had a reported reach of 40 miles. We were going to try a Mohu Leaf Ultimate with a reported 60 miles. I could put up a larger antenna but with the GE I pulled in 2 channels. One of which was Infomercials

Our Analysis is here:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f0a9b3e0d38b

The most important channels to my fiancee is ABC, CBS and WSOC-TV. We are trying to cut the cord, I purchased Sling with a free Roku as well as Netflix and the random download.

We live in Hudson NC 28638.
ScottAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Apr-2015, 12:10 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Skip the Mohu Leaf. It's adverting hype far exceeds its actual technical capabilities.

WHICH specific GE antenna model? Where was it mounted? What direction was it aimed? Which specific stations (identify by call letters) were received?

Based on your plot, any reasonably capable antenna, properly installed and connected, with the TV set properly operated, should have received at least 6-8 stations with a likely channel count of around 20 total. Picking up only two suggests that there was fault or error somewhere along the way.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 2-Apr-2015 at 12:20 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Apr-2015, 5:21 PM   #3
eden

It is really unlikely that an indoor antenna is going to pick up WSOC-TV at all. It's deep in the pink. Pink requires a roof antenna. I have an Antennas Direct C2V (originally a C2) which I used indoors. It picked up most everything in the green and yellow and one station at the top of the pink indoors, although the station in pink was intermittent. It's by far the best indoor antenna I found and its available at Wal-Mart or Best Buy. I know it's almost $100 but it's worth the cost. I'm also in NC, but well to your east.

FWIW, after trying bigger, more expensive antennas I am back to using the C2V, but moving it up on the roof made a huge difference.

eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Apr-2015, 5:51 PM   #4
ADTech

WSOC operates a local translator, W42DR, which should be readily received with a proper antenna (in the proper place).

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 2-Apr-2015, 6:19 PM   #5
eden

There you go. A C2V should have no problem with that.
Old 7-Apr-2015, 10:47 AM   #6
ScottAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Skip the Mohu Leaf. It's adverting hype far exceeds its actual technical capabilities.

WHICH specific GE antenna model? Where was it mounted? What direction was it aimed? Which specific stations (identify by call letters) were received?

Based on your plot, any reasonably capable antenna, properly installed and connected, with the TV set properly operated, should have received at least 6-8 stations with a likely channel count of around 20 total. Picking up only two suggests that there was fault or error somewhere along the way.
It was the GE 34763 linked here:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Amplified-Antenna/20976616

The antenna is indoors about 10 ft off the ground, we are on a slope, plus basement. Antenna is facing directly west and I don't recall the stations because I was frustrated

The installation is pretty straightforward so I don't believe there was an error in regards to that. I haven't purchased a new one yet but I did take that one back. With a combination of a Roku, Sling, Prime and a borrowed Netflix we have a lot of content but she wants ABC, CBS and NBC stations not just the news
Old 7-Apr-2015, 11:51 AM   #7
ADTech

Your antenna must be facing south to southeast (that's where the signals come from, after all) and you probably need to get the antenna out of the basement since anything taller than a doghouse will tend to block the signals from getting to the antenna.

Reception is also going to be limited by anything outside the home that is in the signal path such as trees, and neighboring homes or buildings. The antenna cannot catch that which does not arrive at its elements.

A C2 is my all-time favorite UHF antenna and is what I'd suggest for your situation. You do not need VHF since there is no prospect for indoor reception of any VHF station. Ironically, the GE antenna you tried and returned does fairly well on VHF, but it must be oriented horizontally, like a TV sound bar.

Old 7-Apr-2015, 8:45 PM   #8
ScottAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Your antenna must be facing south to southeast (that's where the signals come from, after all) and you probably need to get the antenna out of the basement since anything taller than a doghouse will tend to block the signals from getting to the antenna.

Reception is also going to be limited by anything outside the home that is in the signal path such as trees, and neighboring homes or buildings. The antenna cannot catch that which does not arrive at its elements.

A C2 is my all-time favorite UHF antenna and is what I'd suggest for your situation. You do not need VHF since there is no prospect for indoor reception of any VHF station. Ironically, the GE antenna you tried and returned does fairly well on VHF, but it must be oriented horizontally, like a TV sound bar.
Apologies if my response was confusing. The antenna was on the first floor just the basement and the slope of the hill are beneath. I was doing a bad job of giving height of antenna!

I didn't know which direction I was facing until I broke out my phone to give you that information. I'll give it another go making sure I mount and face SxSW.

Does the C2 come with anything to help me mount it inside?

Also, based on what is in the report, do you think an amplifier will be necessary?
Old 7-Apr-2015, 9:30 PM   #9
eden

The picture above is my C2 mounted on the wall in my old apartment in Raleigh. No special hardware is needed. A hook you'd use to mount a framed picture or a lamp should work. There is an optional floor stand but it doesn't come with the antenna and I wouldn't spend the money. The higher you mount it in most cases the better off you are. In that picture you'll see that I had it above an entertainment center right near the ceiling.

With those signal strengths an amplifier might well overload and do more harm than good. You shouldn't need one.

I would also consider moving it around the room where you plan to mount it to find the best spot and turn it a small amount at a time and rescan. Sometimes the best spot isn't exactly where you'd expect. Also, sometimes the strong stations come in almost no matter where you point the antenna but you can add a weaker station by pointing more towards it without losing anything. I'd also consider having two hooks if you mount near a corner like I did. When I first came to where I live now and had the antenna indoors I could point it one way and get most (not all) of the Greensboro/Winston-Salem area stations and I could point it another way and get some of the Roanoke stations. Fox from Roanoke comes in here; from High Point not so much even though it's supposed to be my local station for my market. The flexibility of being able to turn the antenna when you have it indoors does add to your available stations.

As far as the "no prospect" for VHF reception, in theory ADTech is right. In my experience this antenna sometimes surprises you and picks up things in the yellow or pink, where an outside antenna or at least an attic antenna should be necessary. At least occasional, intermittent reception of channels 13 or 7 is possible when there is enhanced propagation. Besides, I don't see the C2 in stores anymore, only the C2V, which is available at Wal-Mart or Best Buy. I wouldn't get hung up on whether or not you have a V model or not. Certainly, if the C2 is available near you there probably isn't much point in spending more for a C2V.

Rescan periodically, especially at night, over a period of weeks. You may add a marginal station to what's programmed into your TV and then find it's there more than it isn't.

Good luck! I think the C2 or C2V will do well for you.

Last edited by eden; 7-Apr-2015 at 9:32 PM. Reason: Additional info