TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Feb-2013, 3:10 PM   #21
BobHaskett

Ok. So I will install the C2V in the location that has the best view of 16 degrees. Then run 50' of RG6 to the crawl space at which point I install the CM3418. That is the exact place my current DTV 8 way splitter is located, so no additonal runs will be required. I will report back with the results!
BobHaskett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Feb-2013, 1:09 AM   #22
BobHaskett

Ok I held the Clearstream 2v antenna while my wife checked signal. For the four majors (ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX) I got 77, 72, 67, 50 on the signal meters using a 40 foot coax cable and the same TV that I used for the ANT751. How do I know if those signals are strong enough to avoid drop outs? I have no way to keep the antenna in the same location for any extended period without actually mounting it to the roof.
Old 21-Feb-2013, 11:16 AM   #23
No static at all

Unfortunately, each signal meter is different. Some can go down to as low as 10 before signal breakup occurs. You will only know after observing for a few hours/maybe days. Reception on windy days is usually a good way to judge how well your system is working.

Once you connect the system to the distribution amp, that should bump up the reading on the signal meter. You may end up needing to make some fine tuning adjustments if any channels do in fact give you any problems.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Feb-2013, 1:34 PM   #24
BobHaskett

Ok. So best thing to do is go ahead and mount it in the spot that I got those signals, and watch it for a few hours/days? I guess my only worry would be if this antenna is not strong enough, and I have already mounted the J-Pole and having to pull it out and put in a new antenna and mount. Patching those holes up so the roof doesn't leak can be tricky.
Old 21-Feb-2013, 1:37 PM   #25
No static at all

If the C2V doesn't work out, can you use the ANT751 instead?
Old 21-Feb-2013, 2:17 PM   #26
BobHaskett

The C2V seemed to be a bit stronger for everything but fox. FOX was about the same. I think if anything I would have to move up to a Clearstream 4 with some kind of VHF addon if they have one. I would assume my potential problem is not the VHF channel, but the furthest UHF channel (FOX).
Old 21-Feb-2013, 2:39 PM   #27
teleview

One of the reasons I recommended the Antenna setup that I recommended is ,

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRTN-LP.

RTV , COZi Tv , Tuff Tv , Classic Movies.

This Digital Tv station is Very Weak signal strength.

And also I recommend the HD7082P antenna because it will provide Reliable Reception of the Digital Tv stations/channels that can be received.

Last edited by teleview; 20-Mar-2013 at 1:31 AM.
Old 21-Feb-2013, 5:23 PM   #28
BobHaskett

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
One of the reasons I recommended the Antenna setup that I recommended is ,

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRTN-LP.

RTV , COZi Tv , Tuff Tv , Classic Movies.

This Digital Tv station is Very Weak signal strength.
The only channels I care about is ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX. I do not care about any others. I only need these channels for News, Weather, and Football Season. Does that change your recommendation at all as far as the antenna goes?
Old 24-Feb-2013, 4:55 AM   #29
BobHaskett

Antennas Direct Install Complete

I completed my install today. Here is a rundown.

Parts
  1. Antennas Direct Clearstream C2V
  2. Antennas Direct 40" J-Mount (Upgrade from inclued mount)
  3. Antennas Direct CPA19 Preamp
  4. Passive Ideal 8-Way Splitter

Steps
I first held the antenna in my proposed location while my wife scanned for channels. I got 23 (most I had gotten to date) with signal levels as follows:

ABC - 72
NBC - 67
CBS - 62
FOX - 47

Those were all the highest signal levels I had gotten to this point. I then went ahead and bolted the mount to the roof, adjusted the J-Mount, mounted the antenna, and mounted the preamp. I wired everything up. My coax runs from the preamp about 18 feet in to the attic to the Preamp Power Inserter. From the power inserter, my coax runs about 70 feet to an 8-way splitter. It then runs about 30 feet in all directions to different rooms. After I wired everything up, I took the same TV I tested with around to all the rooms to check.

I dropped from 23 channels to 21, and my signal strength was as follows:

ABC - 67
NBC - 64
CBS - 67
FOX - 47

So my signal strengths stayed pretty close, but I lost two channels. I am happy overall. We watched TV for about 20 minutes tonight with no dropouts. The only question I have at the moment would be if anyone had any idea why I would have lost 2 channels? The channels I lost were PBS, which is my strongest channel. I do not understand how I lost my strongest channel.

Last edited by BobHaskett; 24-Feb-2013 at 5:06 AM.
Old 24-Feb-2013, 5:16 PM   #30
No static at all

When did you lose PBS? After adding the 8 way splitter?
Old 24-Feb-2013, 7:05 PM   #31
BobHaskett

After mounting the antenna and adding the amp (before the splitter addition) I dropped from 23 to 21 channels.
Old 24-Feb-2013, 7:47 PM   #32
BobHaskett

Quote:
Originally Posted by No static at all View Post
I like option 2 better, but would opt for an 8 way amplified splitter instead of a pre-amp. Daisy chaining passive splitters after a preamp results in way too much signal loss downstream.

Why don't you just try this scenario with the ANT751 first since you already have it? If you find this set-up doesn't provide enough signal, you can move up to the C2V or 7694 antenna to improve UHF gain down the 50 foot cable run. VHF signal loss in 50 feet of RG-6 will not be a concern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHaskett View Post
After mounting the antenna and adding the amp (before the splitter addition) I dropped from 23 to 21 channels.
Just took the preamp and splitter out of the equation and rescanned. Still no PBS, now I am rather confused.
Old 24-Feb-2013, 8:21 PM   #33
No static at all

Did you bypass both components of the pre-amp?
Old 24-Feb-2013, 11:48 PM   #34
BobHaskett

Quote:
Did you bypass both components of the pre-amp?
Yup both. I went straight from the antenna out to a tv. So now, the only time I could get PBS was when I was holding the antenna in the general direction checking location before I mounted. And it was like 85 signal strength which is better than all my others.

Any ideas?

Last edited by BobHaskett; 25-Feb-2013 at 3:33 AM.
Old 25-Feb-2013, 10:37 AM   #35
No static at all

Sounds like the antenna is in a dead spot for PBS. Any metal near the antenna?
Old 25-Feb-2013, 12:06 PM   #36
BobHaskett

There is an aluminum air vent near where the coax enters the house. During my original test the antenna was in the exact same spot though. Anything I can do? I would hate to move it having already drilled in to my roof.

I originally only cared about the 4 major networks but this is kind of baffling.
Old 25-Feb-2013, 4:11 PM   #37
No static at all

Can you rise or lower the antenna any? Can you try the ANT-751 on the mount? The VHF signal is not reaching the VHF element on the antenna.
Old 25-Feb-2013, 8:35 PM   #38
BobHaskett

Quote:
Can you rise or lower the antenna any? Can you try the ANT-751 on the mount? The VHF signal is not reaching the VHF element on the antenna.
I could lower it but not raise it. It is at the very top of the mount. I thought about the VHF but NBC is VHF as well and it is not quite as strong as PBS is it?

I also just noticed that I can tune directly to it. It is registering a signal (but no picture), but fluctuates rapidly. My other signals are steady (if they change they may go from 67 to 68 every few minutes). When I tuned directly to PBS it bounced from 3 to 15 and would take larger jumps. For example: 3, 11, 3, 15, 4, 7, 15....Etc.

Last edited by BobHaskett; 25-Feb-2013 at 9:40 PM.
Old 25-Feb-2013, 10:01 PM   #39
No static at all

This is typical of multipath (reflected signal) & the only way to fix it is to move the antenna to where it can see a better quality signal. The ANT 751 is more directional & may be able to better combat the multipath, even mounted in the same spot. There are more VHF elements, so you have a better chance of grabbing more of a quality signal.
Old 25-Feb-2013, 10:30 PM   #40
BobHaskett

Quote:
This is typical of multipath (reflected signal) & the only way to fix it is to move the antenna to where it can see a better quality signal. The ANT 751 is more directional & may be able to better combat the multipath, even mounted in the same spot. There are more VHF elements, so you have a better chance of grabbing more of a quality signal.
So out of curiosity, could a move up/down and left/right (compass direction) reduce or increase multipath? I am just wondering if I should spend my time moving the antenna up/down side to side on the current mount before physically relocating the antenna or trying a new one.