TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 10-Mar-2010, 7:07 AM   #1
sharky

Question Starting from Scratch - Advise

I plan on building a PVR based computer system (SageTV) using a HD Homerun box as a dual tuner. The issue here is that since it records when I am not home, I don't want to ever "turn" the antennas, but I can use multiple tuners and define them per channel (i.e. have two antennas in different directions with different tuners if that works better). One added benefit of HD Homerun is the tuners can go right next to the antennas so you don't get any loss over the lines from antenna to tuner.

My location link is http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...b7c8e81e25c829

The HD Homerun is only digital tuners but I will have one analogue tuner in my computer in the basement to pick up any stray analogue sources (but not all that important).

My goal is to get as many "clear" channels as I can.

It looks from my location that I have two directions to point antennas at (CN Tower for Canadian, Buffalo for US) and some stray stuff around.

I plan on putting antennas in the attic, but haven't chosen them yet. Looking at a 4 bay for HD and don't know about analogue.

1) Do you suggest three antennas - one for Canadian direction connected to one HD Homerun dual tuner, one for Buffalo connected to 2nd HD Homerun and one for analogue connected directly to computer. Can I get away with one antenna and one HD Homerun to get both Buffalo and CN Tower?

2) Can I put up two antennas and "join" the signals, saving me the cost of a 2nd HD Homerun and the complications of channels off different tuners?

3) I really don't get how the splitters work - can I just split one of the antennas to run to the analogue tuner. Can I split an antenna to run directly to the tuner in the tv? Do I loose "quality"?

4) any other advise (if this was your setup what would you do without an unlimited budget - must be "wife" approved).

Thanks!
sharky is offline   Reply With Quote