TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 13-Apr-2015, 1:23 PM   #1
sl1982

Antenna options

Hello folks.

Just recently I have been trying to cut the cord. The last thing i need to be able to get rid of my satellite is some sort of live football. So one day i came across the idea of getting an antenna and picking up some of the stations out of detroit/toledo. So in my search i came across the mohu sky 60 that should in theory be able to get these stations (approx 55 miles away).

Here is the tvfool report http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f0f041179fff

I figure the best i can do is on the roof mounting. So maybe 25 feet? What would you guys suggest? The db8e also looks promising. Also I am only really concerned with NBC FOX CBS and ABC. Anything else would be a bonus.

Also where would you suggest i mount the antenna? Here are a couple pictures of my house. I have a tree in my backyard and my neighbor does too. The direction i need to point is approximately between the two trees. Also my house has aluminum siding if that makes any difference.

Here are a few pictures.

My roof

Between the two houses

Render of my house

Thanks for any help you guys can give me. When coming up with this idea it seemed pretty easy until i started researching. Made me realize i dont know nearly enough and to find the advice of people that do.
sl1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Apr-2015, 3:38 PM   #2
StephanieS

Greetings,

You are on the "bleeding" edge of Detroit. This means, you may see the signals sometimes, others not in the best of conditions.

If possible, post plots at 30 and 50 feet above ground to see if you gain any additional signal from Detroit.

EDIT: if you those trees are in the path of magnetic 240, they will be a problem.

Cheers.

Last edited by StephanieS; 13-Apr-2015 at 3:42 PM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Apr-2015, 3:40 PM   #3
sl1982

30 feet

50 feet
Old 13-Apr-2015, 3:53 PM   #4
StephanieS

Thanks.

At 50' you improve Detroit signal access enough that stable reception could be achieved. That said, it is imperative that no tree obstructions are in the path of magnetic 240.

You are right that DB8e was a good choice. I would recommend that antenna in this application. I would also add a Antennacraft Y10713 VHF antenna. The VHF antenna would be for Detroit's FOX affiliate on channel 7.

I'd be reluctant to run a preamp with the presence of CIII and it's plentiful signal. Instead I'd opt for an Antennas Direct signal combiner as found here:

https://www.antennasdirect.com/store...Combiners.html

That product allows separate UHF and VHF antennas to be consolidated into one coaxial lead coming into your home.

For the best chance of success mounting the DB8e and Y10713 50' above ground both orientated to magnetic 240 would give you the best chance at reliable reception.

Rohn makes some quality collapsible masts.
http://www.rohnnet.com/rohn-telescoping-masts

Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sl1982 View Post
Old 13-Apr-2015, 4:05 PM   #5
sl1982

Hmm. I was hoping i could get away without some sort of tower. Im not sure the wife would approve of that. Given that CIII is at a vastly different angle and the db8e is directional is it still going to pick up the signal?
Old 14-Apr-2015, 9:52 AM   #6
StephanieS

Off axis, since CIII has such a good signal, yes it ought to pick it up off axis.

RE: Detroit. You can try lower elevations for antenna mountings. You may get lucky, you may not. At 25' your map is clear though with signal strengths and pathways that Detroit is on the ragged edge of being reliable. Only at 50' do you begun to have a enough signal to move it into "weak but likely reliable.'

Now you are in, 'very weak, intermittent' at 25.'

Cheers.
Old 14-Apr-2015, 1:30 PM   #7
sl1982

Ok thanks for the help. I will try to get some sort of mast mounted to my roof to put the antenna as high as possible. As of right now I am in the purchase planning stage so nothing has been bought. Also you were saying buying another antenna for the vhf? If my reading serves me i should need some sort of fm filter? Here is a readout of the radio stations in my area FMFool. Also would this be a viable alternative to the antenna you posted as it is more compact and would more likely pass the wife test. C5 Clearstream 5
Old 14-Apr-2015, 1:55 PM   #8
Jake V

Your TVFool Plots all indicate that they are only resolved to the block level. That means the software could tell exactly where your house is. I recommend re-doing all the plots with the following instructions: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14508

Your plots may or may not change, but it is good information to have.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Apr-2015, 2:08 PM   #9
sl1982

Okay this is what ive got http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f0465e72a163 At 35 ft
Old 14-Apr-2015, 2:19 PM   #10
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

You're going to need a lot more horsepower on UHF than a C5 can offer. However, you will need it (or something comparable or stronger) for the Fox station out of Detroit. The rest of the Detroit stations are all UHF, so a fringe/deep fringe UHF antenna is needed.

A preamp is needed. Our Juice can handle far stronger signals that CIII will provide. However, since any directional UHF antenna aimed at Detroit will be edge-on to CIII's signal, it will be anywhere from 10 to 30 dB below the forecasted level.

Look carefully for a tree-free path towards Detroit. Your UHF reception, in particular, will depend on that.

I'd also plan on an FM filter on the front end of the preamp. That will keep the amplified FM out of your TV tuners. You have a 50 kW FM station about 3 miles away.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 14-Apr-2015 at 2:22 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Apr-2015, 2:27 PM   #11
sl1982

Thanks ADTech. I was thinking of combining the C5 with the DB8e. I will go take a look at the juice preamp. is this it? https://www.antennasdirect.com/store...nf=49&slot=100
Old 14-Apr-2015, 5:08 PM   #12
ADTech

No that's the PA18 which is not recommended for your location.

https://www.antennasdirect.com/store...amplifier.html

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 15-Apr-2015, 4:14 AM   #13
sl1982

OK thanks ADTech. Do you know if the lifetime warranty is still valid if bought off amazon? I have a gift card on there I can use towards the purchase.

Also does anyone know if i can repurpose the roof mount for my satellite dish and put another mast in the top of it? I know i am going to have to add some guy wires to it if i can do this.

Last edited by sl1982; 15-Apr-2015 at 1:39 PM.
Old 18-Apr-2015, 12:54 PM   #14
sl1982

Ok so i have bit the bullet and purchased the db8 with 15 ft of mast that i am going to mount to my roof. I will be purchasing the juice amp in the future. I just couldnt find it on amazon. What would be a safe distance for rg6? I am putting in a hdhomerun network tuner so i could locate it wherever i needed it to be.
Old 18-Apr-2015, 2:12 PM   #15
ADTech

Go to Amazon.com. In the search window, enter "antennas direct juice" (include the quotes). It's that easy to find.

Antenna warranties are valid if the antenna was purchased through an authorized retail partner or distribution channel. Common exceptions are Amazon marketplace vendors or ebay sellers who are re-selling product that was returned to a retailer and we've already credited the retailer who was supposed to destroy the returned product.

Do NOT extend the satellite dish mount unless it also has the support legs. As far as if it will work for your situation, we don't know. You'll have to analyze its location relative to where the antenna NEEDS to be in order for the signal to get to it.

Last edited by ADTech; 18-Apr-2015 at 2:16 PM.
Old 18-Apr-2015, 2:54 PM   #16
sl1982

What support legs are you referring to?
Old 18-Apr-2015, 4:04 PM   #17
ADTech

If originally used on the sat dish.

If you have a 'standard' J-mount that has only the base plate and you choose to extend it without any additional supports, be prepared to accept whatever consequences that occur.

Old 18-Apr-2015, 5:04 PM   #18
sl1982

Does that apply for fascia mounting as well? I work in a fabrication shop so i can whip up some supports if need be.
Old 24-Apr-2015, 2:03 PM   #19
sl1982

First impressions:

TLDR; This antenna is awesome.

I just put together the antenna and threw it in the holder for my patio umbrella as a test. I am picking up 9 stations, some of them out of detroit. 4.1 comes in with a signal strength of 57. Many of the others are not watchable as they come in and out. This is without any sort of signal booster and at a height of 10 feet. Once i get this mounted on the roof i think i will get much better reception. Thanks for all the help guys. If this works out the next step will be getting a c5 for vhf (unless someone can reccomend something better that isnt a massive yagi) and the hdhomerun to send it through the house.
Old 24-Apr-2015, 2:34 PM   #20
ADTech

Was it the DB8 or DB8e that you purchased? Both are very directional when it comes to weak UHF signals. 10-20° off in either direction can easily make or break reception of those weak signals.

At patio umbrella height and if you're in a suburban type environment, I'd assume there is significant surrounding clutter such as trees, other homes, and the like. Work on getting the antenna into a spot where it has the clearest available line of sight back towards Detroit, regardless of whether that is high or low. A clear but low mounting location is usually far better than a higher location that is, for example, behind the crown of a tree.

Do NOT drill any holes in your house until you have satisfactorily demonstrated reception. I can't tell you how many times I've had to tell customers to move their antenna to fix reception issues. The unrealistic expectation is that a convenient mounting location can be made to work satisfactorily by wishful thinking just because it's convenient and doesn't require any extra work.