TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 9-Nov-2014, 8:29 PM   #1
nleahcim

Can my setup be improved?

Hi - I'm in Santa Clara, CA. Here is my TV Fool report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec2f08dd99b0f0

I currently have an RCA ANT751 on a tripod on my patio. I've attached pictures showing the setup. The antenna is aimed a bit West of North.

My problem is that some days this works great and all the channels I want (NBC, FOX, ABC, etc.) come in beautifully. But other days they are choppy. So I feel like I'm about 90% there but just not quite there.

My TV is only about 20 feet from the antenna, and there are no splitters in the path. Would a different antenna do better?

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image001.jpg (109.6 KB, 604 views)
File Type: jpg image002.jpg (102.9 KB, 586 views)
nleahcim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Nov-2014, 9:08 PM   #2
Jake V

You're aiming into trees and another structure, so there will be loss of signal.

What direction are you aimed at? I'd be trying 298 degrees measured with a compass and then slowly adjusting it.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Nov-2014, 9:22 PM   #3
nleahcim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
You're aiming into trees and another structure, so there will be loss of signal.

What direction are you aimed at? I'd be trying 298 degrees measured with a compass and then slowly adjusting it.
Jake - that's approximately the angle I'm aiming at. I tweaked it to maximize signal.

I'm completely aware that I'm aiming into trees and a nearby apartment building... I don't really have much of a choice, unfortunately.
Old 9-Nov-2014, 9:24 PM   #4
timgr

Can you get more height? 25' seems pretty high for a tripod, but the roof of the building next door is certainly higher than that.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Nov-2014, 3:50 PM   #5
nleahcim

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgr View Post
Can you get more height? 25' seems pretty high for a tripod, but the roof of the building next door is certainly higher than that.
The antenna is on my patio, and somebody else's patio is above mine - so I have very limited vertical room. With a new antenna mast I could get another couple of feet. That's about it.

Would aiming the antenna up some help? It isn't easy to do that with the mount I have but I could probably figure out a way.