TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 12-Apr-2011, 12:06 PM   #41
olimazi

Lightbulb Almost there...

A little update on my antenna project:

I mounted the eave mount and put the mast up.
Routed 50ft. of coax from the roof to a ground block just inside the foundation (grounded to the water pipe going into my well).
Grounded the mast w/ #10 awg stranded wire to the same water pipe.
(I have a 6ft. ground rod, but I may return it - I think it will be a mission to pound it in - and I figured the well pipe would make a better ground).
From the ground block I have 100 ft. of RG-6 to the pre-amp power injector,
then 6 ft' coax to my Tivo. And 3 ft. of coax from preamp to antenna when I get up to the roof.
I have a couple of questions for you guys:

1. I have about 20 ft. of coax coiled just before the ground block (going to the pre-amp power injector splitter) - wondering if this will affect the signal strength much. Should I cut it and install a new connector or just leave it? I'm thinking the db loss in cutting the wire and installing a new connector will be greater than just leaving it intact - especially since I have the pre-amp.

2. I am a one man show - how do I get the antenna on top the roof with the ladder without falling off? lol
Hold it in one hand and climb with the other? heh
The antenna is not heavy, just big. Any ideas would help.

Thanks!
olimazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Apr-2011, 1:20 PM   #42
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by olimazi View Post
how do I get the antenna on top the roof with the ladder without falling off?
Thanks!
Do not extend the elements on the ground. Pull the antenna up with a rope, unfold the antenna on the roof.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Apr-2011, 1:05 AM   #43
olimazi

Red face antenna is up

i want to thank all y'all for the excellent advice - the antenna is up and i'm getting 70-100% signal on all channels except fox hd from new york - the sd comes in fine - then again i knew it would be weak from the tv fool report - i'll have to work on that channel.

i'm a little worried about the antenna in the wind tonight - we got 20-30mph winds and the antenna is wobbling a bit - doesn't seem like i drop the signal when this happens, just wondering if this is normal.

the eave mount is sturdy - but i'm thinking i didn't tighten the mast mounts on the antenna enough - i'll climb up tomorrow.

it's an eave mount w/ 5 ft. mast - maybe it's just cause this is a big antenna (7698p) heh.

thanks again fellas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
Do not extend the elements on the ground. Pull the antenna up with a rope, unfold the antenna on the roof.
Old 17-Apr-2011, 1:20 PM   #44
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Fox in NYC is available as channel 5.1 in HD on UHF 44. It is also available in SD as 5.2 on UHF channel 38. Similarly, channel 9's programming is also available as sub-channels but on the opposite frequencies. If you're getting 9.1 and 5.2 but not 5.1 and 9.2, then you're missing the signal carried on channel 44.

Your new antenna is a very large one with a significant wind load. Don't be afraid to install guy wires, if needed to prevent it from coming down and damaging your eave in the process.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 17-Apr-2011 at 1:22 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Apr-2011, 1:23 AM   #45
olimazi

Ch 44

Thanks, it's ch 44 that's getting drop outs - weak 0-35% signal fluctuating.
I'm gonna get on the roof and re-aim the antenna - originally was supposed to aim right at a tree, but i shifted it a few degrees so it's not directly at the tree - since i visualize the signal wrapping around the tree-i grab it on it's way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Fox in NYC is available as channel 5.1 in HD on UHF 44. It is also available in SD as 5.2 on UHF channel 38. Similarly, channel 9's programming is also available as sub-channels but on the opposite frequencies. If you're getting 9.1 and 5.2 but not 5.1 and 9.2, then you're missing the signal carried on channel 44.
I'm also concerned that when the maple tree fills in i will have more issues (attached pic). Haven't tucked the downled into the siding yet

Your new antenna is a very large one with a significant wind load. Don't be afraid to install guy wires, if needed to prevent it from coming down and damaging your eave in the process.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0080.JPG (41.3 KB, 1015 views)
Old 18-Apr-2011, 3:42 PM   #46
olimazi

Question adjacent channel interference

I noticed on my tv fool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8d179181bb9946

that channel 44 (5.1) Fox, the one that I'm having trouble getting, is marked as "adjacent channel warning."

how do I determine what the adjacent channel is that may be causing my reception problem?
and how do I correct this issue? does it have more to do with the receiver?

here is the transmitter profile:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ALLTV%26n%3d28

- all my channels are coming from the same direction, nyc
thanks,
Old 18-Apr-2011, 8:30 PM   #47
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by olimazi View Post
how do I determine what the adjacent channel is that may be causing my reception problem and how do I correct this issue?
WNYW, channel 44 is adjacent to WNJU on channel 43. WNJU is 35 db stronger than WNYW.

Possible fixes are a slight re-aiming of your antenna.
Consider an antenna with a greater front to side ratio.
A notch filter on channel 43.
The use of a pair of antennas configured to null channel 43. (roughly 30" for 109 degrees off-axis)

Some TV sets may be more prone to adjacent channel problems than others.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-May-2013, 5:00 PM   #48
olimazi

Hurrican Sandy

Hey guys, just wanted to give an update on my OTA antenna situation.
I was getting dropouts in the spring/summer when the tree in front of my antenna (pin oak) filled in and I was constantly getting on the roof to re-aim it between the limbs to catch a glimpse of the Eastern sky.
During Hurricane Sandy a large Blue Spruce fell on the house - this tree was also in direct line of sight to the tower.
Turns out this tree was the culprit to my bad reception - after it went down my signal was perfect - no drop outs - even with the pin oak in full bloom.
There's one good thing that came out of that SOB storm Sandy.
Old 9-Jun-2017, 7:45 PM   #49
olimazi

balun type

what type of balun/downlead do I need for the digiwave ANT 2075?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2fzq View Post
With my phased pair of ANT-2075's, and an AntennaCraft 10G212 30db pre-amp, I pull stations 53 miles out to my south and 91 miles out to my north...the distances to your towers looks like they are under 50 miles out, personally, I would get a VHF-hi/UHF combo antenna, such as my ANT-2075 or similar yagi design...and as I mentioned, if you HAVE to get WPVI channel 6 , you're gonna have a BIG antenna, like mine....but, I believe, if you search, you might be able to get a VHF-lo/VHF-hi/UHF antenna that will get all your channels....I couldn't find one on the internet, but they used to make them, maybe not anymore....A combo VHF-hi/UHF would do the job for you....