TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-Nov-2016, 2:39 AM   #1
metalliqaz

At wits end: how to identify sources of interference?

Okay so right off the bat, I understand that my setup probably doesn't get a high degree of respect around here, but stay with me. I have what I consider to be a real problem here, and any help is appreciated.

I'm entirely Ethernet at my house. I have an AndroidTV device on one TV and a Roku 3 on the other TV, and that's it. No cable, just Netflix and Hulu and so forth. To tune in OTA TV, I use a Tablo, which encodes the shows to stream to my set-top boxes.

I live just outside a city. In fact, I am situated right between the city and the transmitter for my local CBS affiliate. It is 3.2 miles away. The signal analysis tool lists it at -12dBm. In my old apartment, the signal was so strong that I could tune it in without even connecting an antenna. Not exaggerating. Anyway, while I was in that apartment, I used a cheap-o Mohu Leaf, and the few local channels came in okay. To be honest, I didn't use it much.

I moved to a new house across town, still only 3 miles from the transmitter, and to my surprise I couldn't tune in CBS any more! I figured I must be having some trouble with the hilly terrain near my new location, so I bought an amplified Mohu Sky and installed it in my attic. Still, I couldn't pull it in.

The channel, when it can be tuned at all, is severely degraded with lots of glitches. It will play for a few seconds with occasional "mpeg blocks", then skip for a few seconds (an artifact of the Tablo when the signal is too incomplete to encode)

Now, with the new amplified antenna, I can reliably tune in an ABC channel from 31 miles away. Works great, which is confusing, but the plot thickens even more!

Every now and then I will randomly try the CBS channel. Sometimes, especially late at night, it will tune in perfectly. I mean solid, high-def, no glitches... beautiful. I don't do anything different. I haven't touched anything. It just works. Then the next day it's back to being unwatchable.

The only explanation I can think of is interference. It's got to be some kind of interference that occasionally disappears. But how can I track it down? I have no way of pinpointing what could be causing my problems, be it in my house, a neighbors, or somewhere further away.

Ideas?

Last edited by metalliqaz; 24-Nov-2016 at 2:42 AM.
metalliqaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Nov-2016, 2:53 PM   #2
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Welcome, metalliqaz

Please show us the tvfool reports (using exact address which will not show) for the old and new locations.

What happens if you connect the antenna directly to a TV tuner instead of the Tablo?

I suspect overload, but I haven't seen the signal reports.

Last edited by rabbit73; 24-Nov-2016 at 3:06 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Nov-2016, 8:42 PM   #3
WIRELESS ENGINEER

Using indoor antennas these days is difficult since everything electronic radiates rf interference at various levels and frequencies
Routers, cable modems, roku boxes, led lights, and even the TV itself all generate rf at some level
So it is always better to use an outside antenna without a preamp if you can but even an indoor antenna without a preamp may work
TV tuners have very poor selectivity and so they can easily be "desensed" by out of band interference like two way radios, LTE tower sites etc so if preamps become unavoidable they must filter these sources out or they will simply make this worse

Identifying the source can be difficult but you can simply power off the possible offending electronics one at a time till you find it
I have seen window air conditioners, stoves, and refrigerators with electronic controls generate high levels of rf noise

I have a Motorola communications service monitor with a rf spectrum analizer and an Anritsu site master that I use to track down interference but even with those, it can be difficult

Last edited by WIRELESS ENGINEER; 24-Nov-2016 at 8:58 PM.
WIRELESS ENGINEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Nov-2016, 11:57 PM   #4
Tower Guy

It is very hard for interference to be stronger than s TV signal that's three miles away. I suspect multi path or overload or both.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Nov-2016, 1:54 PM   #5
rickbb

I was going to suggest overload as well but the fact that it comes in great at night negates that thought.

I'm thinking maybe there is a business nearby that has a FM radio system to communicate with remote workers, fuel delivery, service techs, etc. and at night they shut down the radio when not needed. Just guessing though.

Maybe try a FM filter to see if that helps?
rickbb is offline   Reply With Quote