TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 18-Oct-2010, 12:54 AM   #1
Bmike
Noob

Help with new installation

I live here: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...a362d4dbd9be78 and bought this: http://www.winegard.com/freevision/ . It looks to me that I should point the antenna at about 40deg, its going on my roof and I'll be doing it by myself. A couple of questions, what kind of cable should I buy? It should be a straight shot of 20-25 feet to my single tv. Is there a way to tune in the antenna or is it just trial and error with me going up and down the ladder? I have a Zenith Plasma tv with a built in tuner, I'm thinking that once I install the antenna I just have the tv scan for channels? Thanks for your help, maybe someday I'll be able to give advise. Mike
Bmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Oct-2010, 1:23 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

Good Choice on the Antenna

It looks like you have plenty of signal to work with so the antenna you chose is fine. Your aim point is good, I don't expect that antenna to be very critical about aiming. In fact it will likely allow reception of strong stations behind it's aim point.

Use RG-6U cable. [I'll retract my other comments and defer to John Candle's Posts re. connectors and water proofing]

When you scan for channels be sure that the set is set to antenna mode not cable.

Stay safe on the ladder.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 19-Oct-2010 at 4:45 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Oct-2010, 4:39 AM   #3
John Candle

Tv Reception

The small rubber O ring inside the old style crimp type connectors to keep water out is a cable company thing that has been used in the past , not likely to find it any where else. And I have not seen it used by cable companies for a long time. Most connectors now days are the compression type fittings that have much better and tighter build quality.

Last edited by John Candle; 20-Oct-2010 at 4:32 PM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Oct-2010, 3:10 PM   #4
Bmike
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
It looks like you have plenty of signal to work with so the antenna you chose is fine. Your aim point is good, I don't expect that antenna to be very critical about aiming. In fact it will likely allow reception of strong stations behind it's aim point.

Use RG-6U cable. Home centers sell it with and without connectors. The down side to cable with connectors already installed is that it is impossible to put a weather boot on which is a must have for connections outside - unless you get weather proof cables. Look for a small rubber o-ring inside the connector. I suggest you also put a small amount of dielectric grease inside the connector. Auto parts stores have dielectric grease for moisture proofing ignition systems and bulb sockets.

When you scan for channels be sure that the set is set to antenna mode not cable.

Stay safe on the ladder.
Thanks for the reply, as per your username I guess I should ground the antenna. That is going to be work as my utilities come in underground on the other side of the house. I think the copper ground wire is going to cost more than the antenna.
Old 18-Oct-2010, 4:27 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmike View Post
Thanks for the reply, as per your username I guess I should ground the antenna. That is going to be work as my utilities come in underground on the other side of the house. I think the copper ground wire is going to cost more than the antenna.
[Edited... please refer to #9 in this thread]

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 19-Oct-2010 at 4:47 PM. Reason: Keeping it Simple
Old 19-Oct-2010, 6:54 AM   #6
John Candle

Tv Reception

In the past I thought about putting dielectric grease in the connector so I tried it. What happened is UHF signal strength went down , less signal at the Tv , not good . And as for the weather boot on coax the coax connector and a matching transformer , weather boots take in and hold water. If water proofing is what is to be done then use mastic tape. Here are examples of mastic tape. .http://www.surplussales.com/antennas/Antennas-7.html .at http://www.amazon.com type in 50727-BA-5 . . Pull stretch the mastic tape as it is being applied , wound around the coax cable the connector and matching transformer. The mastic tape makes a permanent bond. The only way to remove it is to cut it off. . Electric supply business sell mastic tape.

Last edited by John Candle; 20-Oct-2010 at 4:36 PM.
Old 19-Oct-2010, 7:31 AM   #7
John Candle

Tv Reception

The EASY WAY to find out about grounding in your lo-cal is to look at some Dish Network and Direct Tv installations.
Old 19-Oct-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
Bmike
Noob

Does anyone know if the furnace chimney is typically grounded? If so I can connect to that and have an easy fix.
Old 19-Oct-2010, 3:47 PM   #9
GroundUrMast

If your furnace chimney is grounded, do you want lighting or power fault current flowing though it and through your house?

Not trying to make it complicated or expensive... but safe.

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?p=3491#post3491

I can only recommend that you make your installation conform to the code in your area.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 19-Oct-2010 at 4:22 PM. Reason: added link to general info
Old 19-Oct-2010, 7:32 PM   #10
John Candle

Tv Reception

The metal ventilator tubes/ducts that extend from the fan in the ceiling up and out through the top side of the roof of the house , are these grounded with a - separate - ground wire ?? The answer is No. . Air conditioners that are on the roofs of houses , are these grounded with a - separate - ground wire ?? The answer is No. So now ask your self the question , can a properly ground antenna with stand a DIRECT Lightning strike ?? The answer is NO. And the answer is , A properly grounded antenna will divert some of the lightning and melt the ground wire. The rest of the lightning force will find other ways. And here is something else to think about , lightning travels both ways , from sky to the ground and from the ground to the sky. And here is something to think about , lightning Will Do what ever it needs or wants to do.

Last edited by John Candle; 14-Jun-2011 at 4:57 PM.
Old 19-Oct-2010, 8:26 PM   #11
John Candle

Tv Antennas

So I ask my self , whats with this Big Point that is being made about correctly Bonded or properly bonded ground. So I researched it up one side and down the other. It means to make a solid electrical connection that will not come lose in normal use. Can solid electrical connections be made for beyond normal use ? Yes and thats Ok also. So a ground wire that is wrapped around a ground rod , is that a solid electrical connection ? Answer: No it is not. So a ground wire that is clamped to a ground rod with a clamp that is made for this purpose , is this correct grounding ? The answer is Yes.
Old 19-Oct-2010, 8:42 PM   #12
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Candle View Post
The EASY WAY to find out about grounding in your lo-cal is to look at some Dish Network and Direct Tv installations.
From what I've seen a few times, that would be a lesson in how NOT to do it!

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Oct-2010, 9:03 PM   #13
John Candle

Tv Antennas

There are those that make inflammatory statements and have no real and actual answers. They do not present a evaluation and understanding process that enables a way to find answers. When - called on it - the person will push even harder to make nothing happen.
Old 19-Oct-2010, 9:19 PM   #14
John Candle

Tv Antennas

As part of a understanding and evaluation process , get some binoculars , drive around housing areas where houses are at , stop and look at Tv antennas on houses. Do any have a - separate - wire attached to the antenna that could be connected to a ground. . Think about what you have found out. Think clearly , has the house ever been struck by lightning , will the the house or even the Tv antenna ever be struck by lightning? Also think about this , some houses have metal roofs , are the metal roofs grounded with ground wires. Also think about this , some houses have metal siding , is the metal siding grounded with a ground wires?
Old 20-Oct-2010, 10:02 PM   #15
John Candle

Grounding

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=901 Here is the Main Reason for grounding a antenna and the coax wire. The ground diverts electric atmosferic static to ground and diverts interfering signals received by the shield of the coax to ground. Home Depot and Lowes have the grounding supplies.

Last edited by John Candle; 30-Mar-2011 at 5:37 AM.