TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 6-Feb-2014, 11:49 PM   #1
technicolor

concerns/questions about installation antennacraft hd1850

Ok, after considerable delays i finally have an installer coming next week.

Make a long story short, i initially purchased a channelmaster cm-5020. After doing further research, and also getting stuck with a defective channel master preamp, i went with a antennacraft hd-1850 and an antennacraft 10g212 preamp.

my report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94100d40f957
my report:

For the time being, i have the cm-5020 pointed at a window in an upstairs bedroom with the antennacraft preamp. AM already getting 25-27 channels. including wnbc and wcbs from the empire state building.

My concern, and i am attaching my report is i have not seen wabc-tv, from the same building. Are they much lower power? CBS hd is already at 50%signal quality.

second part of this question, would hitting the philly abc affiliate be easier? IT is wpvi-dt on the chart. The philly afilliates for nbc and cbs have showed up once or twice, have never seen an abc affilliate yet. installation will be at about 35 feet, there are some trees about 400 feet off in the distance

somebody please tell me this bad boy antenna will hit an abc channel, my wife will not go for cutting cable without a abc affiliate in the house.

Btw great website, I like the fact that if u have an antenna question, your post is not lumped into 1 thread with 87 trillion responses.
technicolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Feb-2014, 3:45 AM   #2
teleview

+=>
----
I recommend aim the antenna at about , 283 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

The antenna needs to be instaed at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions in the directions of reception.

The directions of reception are , South West , West , North West , North , North East.

With the antenna aimed at the Philly , Area Tv stations , some Strong Signal Strength New York Area Tv Stations will also be received at a back angle to the antenna.

Antenna rotation with a antenna rotator is not required.

Antenna rotation Is Not channel surfing friendly , must wait for antenna to rotate.

And their Will Be Domestic Situations about the direction the antenna is aimed.

Last edited by teleview; 7-Feb-2014 at 2:41 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 7-Feb-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
No static at all

You will have to try both NY & Philadelphia to see which provides the most reliable ABC station. Hard to say which will work best w/o actually trying.

As Teleview mentioned, a rotor would not be a good solution. It would just take too long to rotate the full 180° between the 2 markets.

Good luck!!
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Feb-2014, 10:42 PM   #4
technicolor

Quote:
Originally Posted by No static at all View Post
You will have to try both NY & Philadelphia to see which provides the most reliable ABC station. Hard to say which will work best w/o actually trying.

As Teleview mentioned, a rotor would not be a good solution. It would just take too long to rotate the full 180° between the 2 markets.

Good luck!!
Thanks for the great advice. I checked the maps, it looks like the ny abc has me in the blue/borderline violet zone. Clearly having something pointing out a window would be able to remotely get a signal.

I'm pretty confident at this point the hd1850 in a good roof location will be able to hit it.
technicolor is offline   Reply With Quote