TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 20-Jul-2019, 7:59 PM   #1
Brokenspoke

Antenna Recomendations

Hello everyone and thanks up front for any help. Moved here about 25 year ago and had a antenna mounted on a short mast attached to the Chimney maybe 25 feet above the ground. We could get maybe 8 or 10 Atlanta stations and a few from Macon some days Columbus and South Carolina, flat headed over that way.

We eventually installed Hughes Satellite Direct Duo for internet and TV nothing else available here. Then came DSL and Direct TV now ATT Fixed wireless and some streaming.I think we are going to use streaming and antenna now prices are outrageous.

I have a 40 ft tower that once had Ham antenna installed, I have a bucket truck and all the means to install so here we go.

My question is probably like an oil thread over on the hot rod forums but I would like advice on antenna, booster, and antenna rotor. I have looked and researched and almost pulled the trigger a couple times.

I have looked at several Channel Masters, Winegard and Denny's HD Stacker.

I know there is much knowledge here so again thanks for any and all advice.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...903841929d854b

Best to Everyone, Tony
Brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jul-2019, 8:35 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Looking at the post repack info on rabbitears.info, I don't see much reason to use an all channel design. I'd opt for a Winegard HD7698P and an Antennas Direct 'Juice' preamp. If the tower puts the antenna above the trees you should do well.

I'd aim toward Atlanta. Reception from other directions would likely suffer from the effect of distance and blocking terrain.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 20-Jul-2019 at 9:00 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jul-2019, 11:38 PM   #3
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenspoke View Post
I have a 40 ft tower that once had Ham antenna installed, I have a bucket truck and all the means to install so here we go.

My question is probably like an oil thread over on the hot rod forums but I would like advice on antenna, booster, and antenna rotor. I have looked and researched and almost pulled the trigger a couple times.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...903841929d854b

Best to Everyone, Tony
Hello, Tony

I agree with GroundUrMast on the antenna and preamp.

Here is a report from rabbitears.info which should have a more accurate list of channels:

If you stick with Atlanta, you shouldn't need a rotor. If you do decide on a rotor, the older Channel Master CM-9521a rotors didn't hold up for long, but the newer 9521HD rotors are getting better reviews.

If you want a heavier duty rotor for the big HD7698P antenna, I suggest the Yaesu G450A, which is a ham rotator.
https://www.dxengineering.com/search...torder=Default
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BrokenspokeTVFreportRE.jpg (259.0 KB, 4928 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 20-Jul-2019 at 11:49 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jul-2019, 12:36 PM   #4
Brokenspoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Looking at the post repack info on rabbitears.info, I don't see much reason to use an all channel design. I'd opt for a Winegard HD7698P and an Antennas Direct 'Juice' preamp. If the tower puts the antenna above the trees you should do well.

I'd aim toward Atlanta. Reception from other directions would likely suffer from the effect of distance and blocking terrain.
Thank you GroundUrMast,
We did well years ago with much less height so this should be much better.

Best Regards, Tony
Old 21-Jul-2019, 12:57 PM   #5
Brokenspoke

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
Hello, Tony

I agree with GroundUrMast on the antenna and preamp.

Here is a report from rabbitears.info which should have a more accurate list of channels:

If you stick with Atlanta, you shouldn't need a rotor. If you do decide on a rotor, the older Channel Master CM-9521a rotors didn't hold up for long, but the newer 9521HD rotors are getting better reviews.

If you want a heavier duty rotor for the big HD7698P antenna, I suggest the Yaesu G450A, which is a ham rotator.
https://www.dxengineering.com/search...torder=Default
Thanks rabbit73, way back I used to go on the roof to adjust the antenna some times turning to Macon but mostly after strong winds the antenna would turn a little. If I got it just right some of the weaker stations did well.

With the added height and a amplifier a rotor may not be needed, but I would like it to be a one and done install if possible although I know some tweaking may be called far (story of my life).

Reading reviews on amazon over all the 7698p gets 4 1/2 stars although some plastic bits seam to be in question on a few.

Any thoughts on this antenna: http://https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=hdb91x

Thanks again rabbit73,
All the best to you, Tony
Old 21-Jul-2019, 6:35 PM   #6
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Reading reviews on amazon over all the 7698p gets 4 1/2 stars although some plastic bits seam to be in question on a few.

Any thoughts on this antenna: http://https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=hdb91x
The HDB91X is a good antenna, but it is designed primarily for UHF. You would need a separate VHF antenna for WXIA.
Old 22-Jul-2019, 9:45 AM   #7
Brokenspoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
The HDB91X is a good antenna, but it is designed primarily for UHF. You would need a separate VHF antenna for WXIA.
Thanks again, would definitely like to get WXIA. Maybe go with the Winegard would like to pull in FM signals as well.

Cheers, Tony
Old 22-Jul-2019, 4:38 PM   #8
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Thanks again, would definitely like to get WXIA. Maybe go with the Winegard would like to pull in FM signals as well.

Cheers, Tony
FM reception would call for an all-channel antenna which includes intentional support of the low-VHF band. The longer elements at the rear of this type of antenna are what provide reception capability for real channels 2 through 6 + the FM band.

A premium option would be the Winegard HD8200U or the Channel Master Advantage-100.

The Yaesu rotor suggested by rabbit73 would be an appropriate option, especially when using a large all channel antenna.

Some folks would consider an entirely separate antenna and cable run for FM.

Old 26-Jul-2019, 10:27 AM   #9
Brokenspoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
FM reception would call for an all-channel antenna which includes intentional support of the low-VHF band. The longer elements at the rear of this type of antenna are what provide reception capability for real channels 2 through 6 + the FM band.

A premium option would be the Winegard HD8200U or the Channel Master Advantage-100.

The Yaesu rotor suggested by rabbit73 would be an appropriate option, especially when using a large all channel antenna.

Some folks would consider an entirely separate antenna and cable run for FM.
Thanks GroundUrMast, I had looked at that antenna but had not considered a separate antenna. I will do some research and try to make a determination on the best way to go.

As you can tell I am not very antenna knowledgeable.

Thanks again, Tony
Old 26-Jul-2019, 12:58 PM   #10
GroundUrMast

I have to confess that I had not looked into the current availability of FM specific antennas. Solidsignal.com lists virtually all the options I had in mind as 'Discontinued'. There are a few simple dipole types and one or two omnidirectional types. If you are going to want to receive any weak FM signals, the modest gain of a large all channel TV/FM antenna will do a better job than the dipole or omni type FM antennas.

Old 26-Jul-2019, 5:31 PM   #11
Tower Guy

Note that the HD Stacker is also rated for FM reception. It would also get all of the Atlanta TV stations.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Sep-2019, 12:01 PM   #12
Brokenspoke

Okay we are cutting Direct TV 9-14-2019, everyone's replies were greatly appreciated.

I can analyze anything beyond my understanding as I am quite OCD, so my obsessive behavior disorder acknowledged I am down to Four antennas.

As already mentioned by Ground Ur Mast the:

Winegard 8200U

Channel Master Advantage 100

Solid Signal Extreme Signal HD8200XL

Channel Master CM3020 deepest fringe

Provided performance is fairly equal then craftsmanship and durability would be the next concern.

Any further advice or should I just draw straws ? LOL

As always thanks and cheers, Tony

Last edited by Brokenspoke; 1-Sep-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 1-Sep-2019, 7:04 PM   #13
Tim

I would expect all of these antennas to be relatively similar in overall gain and performance. Of the antennas you mention, I think the two Channel Master products are the same. I have no experience with any of these antennas, but I do like the way the boom braces are mounted underneath the boom on the Channel Master antenna.
Old 2-Sep-2019, 2:40 PM   #14
Brokenspoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I would expect all of these antennas to be relatively similar in overall gain and performance. Of the antennas you mention, I think the two Channel Master products are the same. I have no experience with any of these antennas, but I do like the way the boom braces are mounted underneath the boom on the Channel Master antenna.
Thanks Tim I liked that feature as well, not sure if it ads stability but seems it would.

Cheers Tony
Old 11-Nov-2019, 3:20 PM   #15
Brokenspoke

Okay first off thanks to everyone for the help so far! So we cut the cable and I have installed an antenna I went with the Solid Signal Extreme HD8200XL as I got it off flea-bay for 95 dollars shipped and reviews seemed as good as others.

I used 1 3/8 chain link fence top rail mounted in to 1 3/8 inch flange bearings to serve as a means for easy rotation and F
fabricated a brake to hold it's line. Grounded to a 8 foot 5/8 copper coated grounding rod driven down seven foot.

Antenna is about 10 feet above a 40 foot tower and tied to a 75 foot solid copper co-axial.I bought RG6 UV and weather resistant cable from Phat Satellite.

I did not get the Juice as I thought I would give what I had a try. Seems I have misplaced the outside unit for the CM 0264C pre-amp but had an old Archer 15-1123 amplifier and used it and it picked up maybe 8 more channels.

I am getting about 25 channels aimed about 351 degree to Atlanta. I am puzzled as I am getting some weaker channels but only one channel below 8.1 which is 4 not clear maybe a Latin channel. I am not getting channel 2.1 or channel 5.1 o 36.1 and on the report these channels have fair signals.

Not sure if I am missing anything and may still get the Juice pre-amp if that will help just wondering if it might be something else.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/aHB5fdKMTYAjmSGH9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/pPPx83fR2DU11XEP8

Last edited by Brokenspoke; 13-Nov-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-Nov-2019, 10:11 PM   #16
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

I couldn't get the Google photo links to work even when I signed in to Google.
Quote:
404. That’s an error.

The requested URL was not found on this server. That’s all we know.
Did you set them up to Share?
Old 12-Nov-2019, 11:33 AM   #17
Brokenspoke

Lets try this.
Nope. No worky

Last edited by Brokenspoke; 12-Nov-2019 at 9:12 PM. Reason: large pics
Old 12-Nov-2019, 11:43 AM   #18
Brokenspoke

Not sure about the photos I have not had trouble on any of the other forums. The sizing is off on a couple. I will try again.
Old 12-Nov-2019, 11:48 AM   #19
RMinNJ

Brokenspoke, that is so cool.. Sadly besides the tower many of us don't have a bucket loader to mount anything so high.
RMinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Nov-2019, 11:53 AM   #20
Brokenspoke

So the pics started out working and every time I checked back one would be super large and i would have to reduce to 30 percent to see the pic. That was with Photobucket which I have used for 5 years no problem.
Any way these seem to work for me.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BQnZ8tUYteQbohV9A

Last edited by Brokenspoke; 12-Nov-2019 at 9:15 PM.