TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 24-Oct-2015, 4:18 PM   #1
hsparks56

NH Antenna Recommendations

Located in southwestern New Hampshire, need help choosing the best antenna(s) for my location really only interested in getting ABC, CBS, NBC channels. Plot is at 30ft. I have some trees and a small hill near my home. My northeast to southeast location is fairly free of trees. I should be able at this height to get over my small hill and trees in this location. My northwest location is good except for a couple trees which I should get over at this height. My southeast to southwest is not good trees and hill may get over some at this height. Any help would be appreciated. attach is my TVfool report.
Attached Images
File Type: png Radar_All_October24_ 2015_ at 30ft.png (71.2 KB, 799 views)
hsparks56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Oct-2015, 3:24 PM   #2
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Hi, hsparks56:

Thanks for the tvfool image, but we really need a link to your report so that we can click on a callsign to see what the terrain looks like between the transmitter and your location.

I don't have your exact address, so I did a report based on an estimate of your location:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e03babdf52b0a

It doesn't look very good. You would need 3 antennas aimed in different directions, several combiners, and a preamp.

Quote:
really only interested in getting ABC, CBS, NBC channels.
NBC WNNE real channel 25:
Antennas Direct DB4e or DB8e, aimed at 347 degrees magnetic, with CM 7777 or 7778 preamp

while you have the DB4E or DB8e up try this:
CBS WBZ real channel 30, aimed at 142 degrees magnetic

and try this:
ABC WCDC real channel 36, aimed at 278 degrees magnetic

If you can't get WCDC for ABC try this:

ABC WMUR real channel 9:
MCM VHF-High antenna, aimed at 62 degrees magnetic
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...FUmUfgodVaQPPg

If you can't get CBS from WBZ the only other way would be with a very big antenna:

CBS WRGB real channel 6:
Solid Signal HD8200XL, aimed at 281 degrees magnetic
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=hd8200xl

Let us know the results, and we can talk about combining. The MCM VHF-High antenna and the Antennas Direct UHF antenna can be combined with a UVSJ.

No guarantee that this will work. Try each antenna alone to see if it will work before combining.

Last edited by rabbit73; 27-Oct-2015 at 8:40 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Oct-2015, 11:44 AM   #3
hsparks56

NH Fringe Area

Thanks for the reply Rabbit73, I have attached my link to my report for you, you were very close! I have an old Channel Master antenna not sure what model it is, its about 6ft by 6ft UHF/VHF. Put it on the roof temporary to see what I got with no preamp just direct 25ft cable to my tv. got channels 11.1, 11.2, 11.3, 41.1, 41.2, 41.3, 62,1m 62.2, 62.3, 63.4, by turning antenna by hand didn't play with if that much but the channels came in crystal clear. I notice it pick up 5.1 and 5.2 ABC I think but TV was black.
This is about 10ft lower then I will put it. It will be 30ft from ground level when done.

I do have a CM-7777, I have a CM rotator too.

So you think I should go with Antennas Direct DB4e or DB8e?

Appreciate the help and would like to cut the cable!!!

Thanks
hsparks56
Old 28-Oct-2015, 11:46 AM   #4
hsparks56

NH Fringe Area TVFool's Report

Sorry here is the TVFool Report.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8e03248a676f7d
Old 28-Oct-2015, 5:00 PM   #5
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsparks56 View Post
So you think I should go with Antennas Direct DB4e or DB8e?

Thanks
hsparks56
I'd opt for the DB-8e. You'll need the extra gain for CBS. WRGB (CBS) on channel 6 is not that feasible as TVFool does not add extra low band noise to the NM calculation.

The VHF antenna for WMUR is necessary as it adds the local news. If you have the new style Channel Master preamp you'll need a UVSJ to add the VHF and UHF antennas. WCDC (ABC) should work too, but it will mirror WMUR's network programming.

Should NBC from Boston or Mt. Ascutney not work; W38DL is also NBC from Albany, NY.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Oct-2015, 6:09 PM   #6
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

TG:

What's an appropriate correction factor for low-V noise based in WRGB's reception area?

AD

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Oct-2015, 9:07 PM   #7
Tower Guy

The FCC software would subtract 4 db from the NM. It's noisier than that in urban areas.
Old 29-Oct-2015, 1:13 PM   #8
hsparks56

CM7777 preamp

The VHF antenna for WMUR is necessary as it adds the local news. If you have the new style Channel Master preamp you'll need a UVSJ to add the VHF and UHF antennas.

Thanks Towerguy, the UVSJ would be connected to the 2 antennas before connecting to my CM7777 correct?
Old 30-Oct-2015, 12:21 PM   #9
Tower Guy

Quote:
Thanks Towerguy, the UVSJ would be connected to the 2 antennas before connecting to my CM7777 correct?
That's right.
Old 30-Oct-2015, 9:32 PM   #10
hsparks56

combiner

If I install a separate VHF-Hi antenna about 20ft from the my other UHF antenna where my combiner is, would this be ok?
Old 30-Oct-2015, 11:09 PM   #11
Tower Guy

Quote:
If I install a separate VHF-Hi antenna about 20ft from the my other UHF antenna where my combiner is, would this be ok?
That configuration works fine.
Old 2-Nov-2015, 1:06 AM   #12
hsparks56

If I were to mount the UHF and VHF Hi antenna's on the same mast how many feet should I separate them by and which would be best on top from the other?
Old 2-Nov-2015, 1:41 AM   #13
ADTech

Quote:
If I were to mount the UHF and VHF Hi antenna's on the same mast how many feet should I separate them by and which would be best on top from the other?
Several feet. 4-5 is most desirable. If they get too close, they start to degrade each others performance.

Whichever one works best. There are no exclusive rules. Find where they each work, then put them there.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 4-Nov-2015, 12:36 PM   #14
hsparks56

Grounding

My electrical service grounding location is on the other side of my house where my antenna/cable will be, can I put a 4ft or 8ft grounding rod in the ground near to my location and ground my cable and antenna from that? If so, does it matter if I use a 4ft or 8ft grounding rod and/or 3/8", 1/2" or 5/8" diameter rod? Appreciate your help.
Old 4-Nov-2015, 1:27 PM   #15
ADTech

NEC requires a minimum 8' ground rod (Art 250?) that is bonded to the main home system with #6conductor. See Art 810 for specifics.

Old 20-Nov-2015, 9:11 PM   #16
hsparks56

combiner

So I have my antenna(s) up my VHF hi is on top and my Antennas Direct DB8e is 5 ft below that. I Have no channels after a scan!!! The cable goes from the VHF Hi 6ft to my combiner VHF side and then my DB8e goes 6 ft to the UHF side of combiner then leaves 6ft to my CM 7777 preamplifier, from the preamp it goes 6ft to a grounding block then 25' to my preamp juntion and then short cable to my TV. Any ideas? Saw that all cable should be the same lengths to combiner? Need help had channels when separately hookup.
Old 20-Nov-2015, 9:30 PM   #17
ADTech

1. What are you using as a combiner?
2. Do you have a single continuous length of coax between the amplifier and it's power inserter?
3. Do you have a multimeter?
4. Did you test anything individually before integrating all the components or did you do an "install and hope"? Did you build the system one step at a time and test at each step?

The cable length between each antenna in this configuration is irrelevant.

Old 20-Nov-2015, 9:35 PM   #18
Flint Ridge
Junior Member Wannabe

ADTech was a click faster and smarter.
Flint Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Nov-2015, 12:12 AM   #19
Jake V

In addition to ADTech's recommendations I would also double check your connections to the Power Inserter (making sure the right coax goes to the right connection), and make sure it is plugged in.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Nov-2015, 2:12 PM   #20
hsparks56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
1. What are you using as a combiner?
2. Do you have a single continuous length of coax between the amplifier and it's power inserter?
3. Do you have a multimeter?
4. Did you test anything individually before integrating all the components or did you do an "install and hope"? Did you build the system one step at a time and test at each step?

The cable length between each antenna in this configuration is irrelevant.
Thanks ADTech for the quick reply:

1. I use this combiner: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...3-E87D21A22E41

2. No it has a coax ground block in between.

3. Yes

4. No, No