TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 30-Nov-2011, 7:49 PM   #1
NewTVMan

Help With Initial Setup and Antenna

I am cancelling my Rogers cable in the next month or so and I want to be able to get some live tv stations. As many as possible is my goal, which im sure most people want. I am looking at getting a Channel Master 4228HD and mounting it in my attic. I have a cable that runs from my attic down to my basement then to the TV. This is the cable I want to connect into. I have done an analysis but need a bit of help finding some answers to what it will give me. Here it is.

http://www.tvfool.com/option=com_wra...ec120137cc5565

I plan on mounting it using either PVC piping or 2x4's any help in that area would be appreciated.

Thanks
NewTVMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Dec-2011, 11:58 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

There was a problem with the link for your TV Fool report.

I'm reasonably confident this is correct: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec120137cc5565

Presuming you are in the Greater Toronto area, http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...n=CICA#station is a useful web resource. You can find links to individual broadcasters websites for an idea of their programing.

If your attic is a reasonably good location for an antenna (some attics are poor locations because of the type of materials used in construction.) you should hope to receive the majority of the stations in the green and yellow shaded sections of your report.

In the attic, PVC pipe will suffice as a mast. It will remain straight if it is attached to a rafter at the top.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Dec-2011, 1:16 AM   #3
Electron

Reception

For reception of the Canada digital tv stations and 6 American digital tv stations read private message.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Dec-2011, 2:22 AM   #4
NewTVMan

Thanks GroundUrMast. That looks like the same I had on my report. I checked out the website you sent me and if I get those channels that will be awesome those are the ones i usually watch. I will just miss out on some hockey games but that's what neighbours are for.

Thanks for your help too Electron I will check out those sites you sent me too. I may start with a single Antenna and see how many stations I am missing with that and add the other if there isn't enough. Do you think the other Antenna will work in the attic as well? or is it too hard to tell without knowing what type of roof and shingles were used.

Also would an Amplifier be useful or is that something I would add if I don't get enough stations?

Thanks again
Old 2-Dec-2011, 6:49 AM   #5
GroundUrMast

You mentioned only one set. I'd recommend that you resist the urge to add an amplifier. You have plenty of powerful signals. Most amplifiers will overload which will leave you with less, not more reliable signals.

Your signal conditions are very favorable. Lot's of strong signals from one direction. It doesn't get much better than that.

It's quite odd that electron is unwilling to share general links and advise in the open forum. If you have any concerns about his/her private communications please don't hesitate to bring it to the attention of the moderator. If there is no concern, my apologies to both of you.

Old 2-Dec-2011, 10:39 AM   #6
NewTVMan

for now I will only have one set. I will probably add another one in the future but I don't think it will be anytime soon. Thanks for the advice on the amp, I didn't know it could overload the signlals .

I read the pm from electron it it is a couple of links to stores to get the antennas and a bit of info on how to mount the antenna. I have actually come across the stores he sent me the links for I don't see any issues with it. Thanks for the concern and help. Hopefully I will have time and get the antenna setup this week.

see any problems with using the coax that has been run from the attic already to send the signal down to the basement then back up one floor to the tv?
Old 2-Dec-2011, 6:49 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

Coax that has been kept dry and undamaged will last indefinitely. I would try reusing it.

Old 5-Dec-2011, 6:17 PM   #8
NewTVMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Coax that has been kept dry and undamaged will last indefinitely. I would try reusing it.
Great, Thanks. I will try it out and see.