TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 4-Jun-2013, 3:04 PM   #1
cmilne

Antenna Help - Smithfield, UT 84335

Hello Everyone,

I live in Smithfield, UT 84335. I would like to ditch cable in search of OTA channels.

I took the tvfool analysis thing and came up with this:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1ddafee2b9c92f

I would love to get all of the major networks like ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, KUED, etc... I don't care about the other stations much.

I'm new to this and have been overloaded by information from the web. I have decided to seek the help of the pro's

I would like to buy a quality antenna that has no problems receiving those stations. I am also planning on purchasing an amplifier to help. I would like to put said antenna in the attic if at all possible. From the looks of the chart, It seems as if I only need a long range UHF antenna (can anyone confirm or deny this?). If that's the case, Does anyone recommend a good strong one (all the UHF ones look a little chinsey to me).

I have scoured Amazon and other retailers and am just overwhelmed with the selection and good reviews. Most people reviewing are not in my situation so I figured I would take the tvfool test and see what advice you guys could give me.

On a side note, can anyone explain the 'fringe', 'deep fringe', etc. things to me?

Any info or advice would help me greatly.

Thanks!
cmilne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Jun-2013, 8:47 PM   #2
teleview

It looks like the location is not correct and this makes a big difference for a recommended antenna and reception.

It looks like the provided tvfool report is about 30 miles to the , south east of Smithfied.

Latitude 41.50 , Longitude -111.48 , and the mileage numbers to the transmitters puts the reception location on a barren hill in the middle of nowhere.

Are my evaluations correct for locations??

Last edited by teleview; 5-Jun-2013 at 5:54 AM.
Old 5-Jun-2013, 2:43 PM   #3
cmilne

correction

Thanks for noticing. I just grabbed numbers off of Google Earth that apparently weren't correct.

This should be a more accurate representation:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1dda93c7b5a3ed

I'm afraid that the outcome is a little more bleak on this report. However, I see houses within a mile of mine with Antenna's pointed in the direction of the major broadcaster's tower.

Thanks again.
cmilne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jun-2013, 9:32 PM   #4
teleview

A Simple reception situation that will receive , Many , many , many , many , many , Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels.

Above the Peak of the Roof install a Channel Master CM2016 antenna aimed at about 187 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Winegard , DS3000 J pipe antenna mount.

For 1 Tv connected use no splitter. No antenna system amplifier.

For 2 Tv's connected use a simple common 2 way splitter. No antenna system amplifier.

To keep weather/water out of outside coax and connections , use coax that has the Compression type connectors on the ends of the coax , not the crimp type connectors on the ends of the coax.

To make double sure that weather/water does not get into outside connections , wrap all connections and coax and the matching transformer that connects the coax to the antenna with , http://www.coaxseal.com.

Do not use any 'weather boots' , weather boots take in water and hold the water inside the boots , the result is bad connections.

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a negative effect on Broadcast Tv reception , multi-path/reflecting , absorbing , blocking , OTA=Over The Air , Digital Broadcast Tv reception and so do buildings including your own roof and house and other obstructions.

It is best install the CM2016 antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and house.

At your location the directions of reception are , south , south west , west , west north.

The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels , often named the 'Air channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv Setup Menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some Digital Tv's will Automatic channel scan for cable tv channels.

DO NOT channels scan for cable tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Menu and select 'Air Channels' ~ 'Antenna Channels'.

Scan for channels.