TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Special Topics > Antennas

Notices

Old 26-Jan-2011, 1:50 AM   #1
deacon-bart

Antenna Power Amps

I have a Winegard power amp at the head end of my OTA system. By the time it route that signal throuh my house, via splitters. I have lost signal. My question is this...Can I put an inline amp in anywhere else in the system??? Like to "boost" signal at the end of the run.

I have atached a drawing to show my diagram...I would like to add an in line amp between "Home Distro Box" and "Alternate DIstro Box". Can I do this?

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf img003.pdf (19.0 KB, 1091 views)
deacon-bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jan-2011, 2:26 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Yes, you can install a line amp to increase the power levels of the signals 9and noise) in that line. If you want to dig deeper into the issue, a few questions are needed.

Can you identify each of the following:

1) Which WG amp?
2) Coax type (RG6 or RG59)?
3) Linear cable distance from the amplifier to the "Home Distro Box"
4) Identify the "Home Distro Box"
5) How is reception for TV1 & TV2?
6) Linear cable distance from the "Home Distro Box" to "Antenna Distro Box"
7) Identify the "Antenna Distro box"
8) What is the purpose of the "RF Modulator(?)"

It is also helpful to identify the signal power levels of what is coming into the system. That would involve a TVFool report and identifying the antenna(s) in use an a description of its mounting and aiming.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Jan-2011, 4:53 PM   #3
deacon-bart

Amps

AdTech...Here are some answers for your questions.

1. All I have on the amp is the power supply number PS-9370.
2. RG 6
3. From the amp to the PS-9370 is 30'...then 30' from the PS-9370 to the home distro is 30'.
4. The home distro is a Skywalker Signature Series 3-way splitter.
5. Reception on TV 1 and 2 are excellent. 90- 98% signal.
6. 40' from home distro to alternate distro box.
7. The alternate distro is a Skywalker Signature Series 3-way splitter.
8. The RF modulator combines the OTA signal with the component output from the Dish network VIP 211 into one coax to TV 4 and TV 5.

There is no signal change when I bypass the RF modulator, however if I bypass the alternate distro/splitter I get 75-80% signal. So this is why I want to boost that signal at the alternate distro.

Thanks.
Old 26-Jan-2011, 8:19 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

ADTech is on the right track...

Are we trying to solve a real problem that every viewer sees? If so, how do they describe the symptom(s). And, we need to know what your antenna has to work with. Everything downstream of the antenna depends on what is available in the air.

As ADTech suggests, please post a TVF report. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=4

Or, are you like me, inclined to look for trouble no one else would notice? Sometimes I break things while trying to 'fix' them.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 26-Jan-2011 at 8:24 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jan-2011, 1:54 AM   #5
deacon-bart

GroundUrMast,

Here is the link you requested:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3cf4b468ceab31

The problem is this...On TV 4 and 5 I cannot receive the Fox signals 55.1, 59.1, or 59.2. I can get these signals at 80% on TV1,2, and 3. I have bypassed the Alternate distro and the RF modulator, and get the same issue. Nor can I get the 51.1 signal on TV 3,4, or 5. This is why I am trying to boost the signal at these units.

Thanks
Old 27-Jan-2011, 7:30 PM   #6
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

A simple line amp such as our variable (5-20 dB) unit should fix the problem. I used one in my home for a similar situation and it performed very well.

The Skywalker splitters appear to be of the unbalanced type. That means one output will be down about 4 dB, the other two will be down almost 7 dB. If you can figure out which is the -4 dB port, use it to feed the longer run (first splitter) and use the -7 dB ports for the first two TVs.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Jan-2011, 1:20 AM   #7
deacon-bart

ADTech

Thanks...I have put in a cheap 10db amp and it has helped. I am trying to find a better amp now. Also I will try to find a better splitter. Do you have any that you would suggest?