TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 11-Sep-2014, 10:43 PM   #1
BrianHawthorne

Smile is an attic mount possible?

Hi, about to cut the cable. My TVFR is: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243fa00f81b6d I'd like to get the major networks. Perhaps all the green and yellow channels, any ch's in the red/pink would be an extra. Our house is vinyl sided, tar roof shingles w fiberboard single layer. House is built into a hill one side is 2 stories tall , the garage side is 3 stories tall plus the attic. I can’t go on the roof, too high for me. Trying to keep costs down, so want to do it myself. Therefore I’d like to know if an attic mounted antenna can give me the green and yellow channels. Attic mounted height would be about 32’ AGL. Google says my house is 219meters above sea level. Can anyone tell me if it’s possible to get the basic networks in my situation with an attic mount? Would I need a rotator , or can I point it once an forget it? House is surrounded by tall trees on all sides except SW. Please let me know if I’m leaving out some detail, and I’ll supply it ASAP. Please recommend things I can find online or at radio shack. I also need to know what to buy to make it all lightning safe. Oh, it will be about a 70’ run to single TV. I’ll buy new coax, again please recommend which (RG6?) Thanks in advance, love your website . Cheers, BrianH . Prospect, CT.
BrianHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Sep-2014, 10:45 PM   #2
BrianHawthorne

sorry, TVFR got hosed, should be:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243fa00f81b6d
thanks, bh
Old 12-Sep-2014, 12:26 AM   #3
Tower Guy

You'll need two antennas, VHF aimed at WTNH and a UHF aimed at Hartford. The VHF can be a cheaper Y5-7-13. The UHF in the attic will be harder to predict. A large antenna is more likely to work.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Sep-2014, 1:42 AM   #4
BrianHawthorne

tnh on rabbit ears

I get tnh with rabbit ears near the TV with amazing clarity ( I forgot to say earlier), better than cable, so then I'll just need to add the UHF, and a an switch or a Y
Old 12-Sep-2014, 1:46 AM   #5
emartz91

If it was me, i would mount the antennas outside and find a sweet spot for all green and yellow stations. DB8e for uhf and Y10-7-13 for vhf high. Since your stations are all directions, it is purely trial and error. I would use an RCA TV PRAMP1R for a preamp. Go above the roofline. And you will receive many channels, especially if you aim towards new york city. Attics are not good for antennas as they have to go through a building.
emartz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Sep-2014, 12:19 PM   #6
timgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianHawthorne View Post
I get tnh with rabbit ears near the TV with amazing clarity ( I forgot to say earlier), better than cable, so then I'll just need to add the UHF, and a an switch or a Y
You can buy a preamp that will combine the UHF and VHF signals. No need to A-B the antennas. http://www.amazon.com/RCA-TVPRAMP1R-.../dp/B003P92D9Y Lots of discussion of this in earlier posts if you search.

Go in the attic with your antennas and a long lead and see if the performance is sufficient.

Broadcast HD is often better quality than cable, due to less compression applied. The picture I get from WGBH here is spectacular. The women on "Mr. Selfridge" are amazing ... not that I care so much for the story, but the visuals are ... compelling.

Last edited by timgr; 12-Sep-2014 at 12:24 PM.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Sep-2014, 11:11 PM   #7
BrianHawthorne

attic uhf recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
You'll need two antennas, VHF aimed at WTNH and a UHF aimed at Hartford. The VHF can be a cheaper Y5-7-13. The UHF in the attic will be harder to predict. A large antenna is more likely to work.
so for in the attic, i understand bigger is better (more gain, as long as it fits), can you give me any recommendations? Would the DB-8 be OK inside, I know the other gentlemen recommended I put it on the roof, but that's out, too high for me. And what coax is needed RG6? and what products do i need to get it to a lightning bar, (other than the bar and ground cable)? Thanks again, BrianH.