TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 16-Sep-2011, 1:12 PM   #1
Rodwalls
King, North Carolina

Combining Two DB8

Hey All,
I am in the process of combining two DB8 antennas, using a backwards splitter. Having great luck picking up locales in Winston Salem, NC (around 85-100%) but no so much luck picking up out of town channels. The weird thing is that I seem to pick up these other channels from Charlotte, NC when one of the antennas is pointing in the opposite direction, getting signal from back of antenna, usually get about a 60% signal. I have both antennas on the same mast. and are using the same exact cables run to the splitter. Would it help to separate them? I have included my Tvfool location below. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Rod

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...14f364a61605e6

Last edited by Rodwalls; 16-Sep-2011 at 5:29 PM.
Rodwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Sep-2011, 4:39 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Thanks for fixing the link to your TVFR. How many TVs are you trying to serve?

At first glance, intuition may tell you that what you're doing is simple and easy. At VHF and UHF frequencies, successful combining of two antennas is (as you have discovered) far more complex than many expect.

The simple explanation is that combining waves requires that the two sources be in sync (phase) with each other or they will work against each other, canceling one another.

Often, multiple antennas need to be cabled separately to an A/B switch that can be easily controlled from the location of the TV.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 17-Sep-2011 at 7:00 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Sep-2011, 5:15 PM   #3
Rodwalls
King, North Carolina

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...14f3e87ffc0985
Rodwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Sep-2011, 5:13 AM   #4
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

I recommend aim one antenna at about 125 degree magnetic compass , to receive the stations to the south east and WXII and WUNL are so strong they will be received through the back side of the antenna. The other antenna is aimed at about 233 degree magnetic compass. I recommend separate coax from each antenna all the way to the tv. And at the tv location connect the 2 separate coax to a remote control AB27RS A/B antenna switch. The output of the A/B switch goes to the tv. Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote