TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 17-Jul-2018, 1:25 PM   #21
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

That information is for TV broadcasting, it has nothing to do with "broadband".

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Jul-2018, 11:40 PM   #22
RF Steve

I posted on this thread to simply state there are different ways to combine antennas, that had not been mentioned. I have no idea what the OP is trying to do, or talking about.
Rabbit 73 I am very familiar with 4nec2 Antenna Sims by holl_ands.
I have spent hours looking at his work, and try to recreate some of the models into working antennas. Everything you posted in your reply matches my current understanding of antenna stacking.
ADTech your post are always welcome, and reflect knowledge of antenna design, and signal propagation.
As I reread this thread it looks more like user name is asking about horizontal verses vertical stacking of horizontally polarized antennas.
Steve

Last edited by RF Steve; 18-Jul-2018 at 4:52 AM.
RF Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Jul-2018, 2:57 PM   #23
Nascarken
Banned

Rf STEVe look's like you are way in OVER YOUR HEAD!!! So GIV if UP
And for get about them wind sails,and get a 91xg!lol
And trying too sell junk!!OP has spoken!! Of a channel master amp??
And wasting everyone'S time lol.

Last edited by Nascarken; 19-Jul-2018 at 3:08 PM.
Nascarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Jul-2018, 5:06 PM   #24
RF Steve

I solved my reception problems years ago. The 91xg would be a poor antenna choice for my location.
I've only been building and, installing both commercial built, and home brew antennas for about 50 years

Last edited by RF Steve; 19-Jul-2018 at 11:32 PM.
Old 20-Jul-2018, 12:17 PM   #25
Nascarken
Banned

B,tong and you wish 50 Years.lol that's all I know is that with my 150ft tower receive of channel's 1500miles away and don't forget my inverted v. ham Radio station antenna.
And do you wont want to sell the 1960,antenna ?
Well good luck but it sounds like you don't know what you are doing with outdoor tv antenna'S ,becuse the 91XG,is best ANTENNA you can buy with a narrow beam pattern
If you don't know how to use the 91,that's the kind of tock you get out of someone
That doesn't know how to use a antennas Direct 91XG,? 50,year's of ANTENNAs to
Funny stop tocking bs,and the solid signal HDB 91,with IT'S90, beam with pattern.
Works well with a channel master 7777,AMP if you're tv,Broadcasting TOWER are in a v pattern you don't need a rotor if the ANTENNA is pointed right.away frum the strongest
Tower's and more pointed tord the far away tower's works quite well and no over load"S
If you know how an ANTENNA work's you should have no problems with RECeive of BROADCASTING channel's, of 1500miles away,lol,
Old 20-Jul-2018, 1:15 PM   #26
JoeAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascarken View Post
B,tong and you wish 50 Years.lol that's all I know is that with my 150ft tower receive of channel's 1500miles away and don't forget my inverted v. ham Radio station antenna.
And do you wont want to sell the 1960,antenna ?
Well good luck but it sounds like you don't know what you are doing with outdoor tv antenna'S ,becuse the 91XG,is best ANTENNA you can buy with a narrow beam pattern
If you don't know how to use the 91,that's the kind of tock you get out of someone
That doesn't know how to use a antennas Direct 91XG,? 50,year's of ANTENNAs to
Funny stop tocking bs,and the solid signal HDB 91,with IT'S90, beam with pattern.
Works well with a channel master 7777,AMP if you're tv,Broadcasting TOWER are in a v pattern you don't need a rotor if the ANTENNA is pointed right.away frum the strongest
Tower's and more pointed tord the far away tower's works quite well and no over load"S
If you know how an ANTENNA work's you should have no problems with RECeive of BROADCASTING channel's, of 1500miles away,lol,
And there you have it folks, the FINAL word on broadcast reception.
JoeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jul-2018, 1:36 PM   #27
jrgagne99

Where are the moderators? The forum's signal is really starting to get overwhelmed by Nascarken's noise.
jrgagne99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jul-2018, 2:35 PM   #28
Nascarken
Banned

Boy for some one hoo has just became a member needs to go get a real antenna set-up
And Steve need too RECEIVE and do the same thing get a real antenna set-up too.
Lol 50 years of ANTENNAs instilling lol
Old 20-Jul-2018, 9:59 PM   #29
RF Steve

This thread is about stacking antennas. Most of the known knowledge on the subject was expressed quite early in the thread.
I will only once more take this thread off topic . 53 years ago I was installing long wire, and dipole antennas in my parents attic, and some times outside.
I’ve wound enamel coated wire around toilet paper tubes to build cats whisker Chrystal radios, and I have used the local oscillator off one radio as BFO (beat frequency oscillator) on an other to receive SSB . When my parents could not afford to to buy me a state of the art receiver with a BFO or product detector.
I’ve been around radio, and TV antennas for a few days, but I do not have a closed mind. I’m still learning.

Last edited by RF Steve; 20-Jul-2018 at 10:02 PM.
Old 20-Jul-2018, 11:09 PM   #30
Nascarken
Banned

Yes heath kit one of the best know how ham Radio works
And why should you have a closed mind?share what you
Have done I am all ears,and you know that I am going too get a cold one out of the frige!
And smoke some bud,and I am all ears and yes Rf is a good long topic to tock about
Whether it's radio or television Rf,it's FUN to mess around with stagger stacked hi band
Vhf outdoor tv antennas,CQ CQ CQ DX,Hello can you hear me know?
Long wire &what MHZ??And VFO!!I
???

Last edited by Nascarken; 22-Jul-2018 at 4:30 PM.
Old 11-Aug-2018, 4:49 PM   #31
user name

Recently I changed the coax cables and now can pick-up 2 additional channels(69 and 39 are weak). But other channels are now about 10% stronger. I experienced this situation before. Why does changing the coax cables change the signal strength?
user name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Aug-2018, 11:17 PM   #32
Jake V

There are a number of possibilities why new coax improves signal strength:

- Better quality coax (e.g., RG-6 is better than RG-59, it has a larger center conductor
- Better or tighter connectors and connections
- Crimps in the old cable
- If old cable was outdoors and weathers (or with lots of sun-exposure) it may have deteriorated
- Water, heat or stomping damage to old cable
- Etc.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Aug-2018, 4:04 PM   #33
Nascarken
Banned

Rg6??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
There are a number of possibilities why new coax improves signal strength:

- Better quality coax (e.g., RG-6 is better than RG-59, it has a larger center conductor
- Better or tighter connectors and connections
- Crimps in the old cable
- If old cable was outdoors and weathers (or with lots of sun-exposure) it may have deteriorated
- Water, heat or stomping damage to old cable
- Etc.
Yes 18gage SOLiD copper,RG6,& 11,work very well!!!
Old 15-Aug-2018, 1:17 AM   #34
Dagwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by user name View Post
2 large uhf antennas using coax
maybe 3 large uhf antennas using coax if necessary
trying to combine antennas, using coax, to increase overall gain.
using digital to analog converter box to find signal strength
strong stations such as channel 6 are ok
I and antennas are in the attic
Although I can't offer you any help with your problem, the red sentence intrigues me.

I used two Zenith converters from 2009 up until a couple of years ago when I bought new TVs. The converters worked great, especially the signal tester. My new TVs also have signal testers but are kinda lame in comparison.

Do you have it hooked up permanently, and if so, can you elaborate on how you did it? (If you just wired it up temporarily to test the signals then I know how to do that). Any of you gurus are certainly welcome to answer my question also.

Anybody know if there is any kind of inexpensive signal tester one can buy?

TIA!
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Aug-2018, 3:16 AM   #35
jrgagne99

You can make one from the Winegard SensarPro RV signal strength meter. See R. Ross's review on the product on Amazon for instructions. Around $80 for the components, which include the SensarPro, a project box, battery pack, and a DC blocker. I made one and it works well. Results are commensurate to an actual TV with signal strength meter.

However, for not too much more money, you can buy a portable TV such as the RCA DPTM70R, which has a decent signal strength indicator (signal strength rated 1-5, if i remember correctly) plus you can watch it!
jrgagne99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Aug-2018, 12:49 PM   #36
Dagwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgagne99 View Post
You can make one from the Winegard SensarPro RV signal strength meter. See R. Ross's review on the product on Amazon for instructions. Around $80 for the components, which include the SensarPro, a project box, battery pack, and a DC blocker. I made one and it works well. Results are commensurate to an actual TV with signal strength meter.

However, for not too much more money, you can buy a portable TV such as the RCA DPTM70R, which has a decent signal strength indicator (signal strength rated 1-5, if i remember correctly) plus you can watch it!
Wow, I checked that out and started reading that guy's post and what he did. But into the second or third paragraph I realized this was way over my head. I guess I'll just leave things alone.

Wiring in a third TV just to check signals isn't something I want to do either.

But thanks for the reply anyway.
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Aug-2018, 11:40 PM   #37
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
Wow, I checked that out and started reading that guy's post and what he did. But into the second or third paragraph I realized this was way over my head. I guess I'll just leave things alone.

Wiring in a third TV just to check signals isn't something I want to do either.
Then the only choice left for you is a used digital to analog converter box made 10 years ago. I liked the Apex DT502 that had two signal bars, one for signal quality, the other for signal strength.

The current converter boxes aren't made as well. The original CECBs had to meet strict specs to qualify for the coupon program.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Apex DT502 Signal Bar2.jpg (50.4 KB, 1200 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 16-Aug-2018 at 11:54 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Aug-2018, 12:49 PM   #38
Nascarken
Banned

The apex,DT502 yes they work very well I have 4,of them
I figured for what I paid for them was a good price
IT'S just like the channel master digital box 7001
That I have 2of if you are going too look for the box!
I suggest the channel master digital box is just a little bit better than the DT502.
And at least you be able too find the channel master,New not used.And if you
Buy used be careful becuse a lot of them do not work.I have been there done that.
Good luck.
Old 18-Aug-2018, 3:06 PM   #39
user name

Is thicker cable always better?
user name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Aug-2018, 5:57 PM   #40
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
Originally Posted by user name View Post
Is thicker cable always better?
No, but it depends on the circumstances. Kind of like asking if a larger diameter garden hose is "always better".

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote