TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Sep-2010, 1:38 AM   #1
tbabmole

Help selecting Antenna

Hello,
I need some help. I moved to a new location with an existing TV antenna, I hooked up my Televisions (3) to the existing set up and the reception is pretty poor. I tried to adjust it and it does not seem to get any better. I am willing to purchase a new system but I am a little overwelmed with the choices. I will do my best to explain what I have here know. Here is my tvfool report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...a362b65dd8789b

The existing antenna is mounted on the chimney about 20 feet up. I would like to relocate it because of the damage to the brick chimney caused by the straps that were used. I have purchase about 35 feet of older TV tower I can mount a new antenna on. The antenna itself looks like this: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...-(CM3679)&c=TV Antennas&sku=

but the tag is faded off so I do not know the actual brand. There is also a winegard AP-8780 preamp hooked up in the basement prior to a splitter. I also have a Permacolor 10G207 preamp that is not hooked up.

So does anyone have any sugestions? I hope to get all the channels out of Columbus and any others is a plus. Trying to get things going before Football is in full swing.

Thanks in advance for any help.
tbabmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Sep-2010, 2:18 AM   #2
No static at all

I suggest a 91-XG antenna & your present 8780 preamp since Columbus is now an all UHF market. If you are interested in WMFD from Mansfield you will need a VHF antenna, but not sure if their programming interests you? The only other possible station outside the Columbus market would be WHIZ-NBC from Zanesville. (Doesn't seem to offer any HD programming though) You will need a rotator if you would like that alternate NBC affiliate. I'm not sure if the CW affiliate south of Columbus will be gettable 24/7, but the 91XG will give you the best chance of seeing that channel.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Sep-2010, 2:32 PM   #3
tbabmole

Thanks

I Ordered and installed the 91XG in the attic (just thought I would give it a try) and it is working great! Most channels are at 100% I am getting all of the Columbus channels and even the CW south of Columbus. Thanks for the info.
Kevin
Old 18-Sep-2010, 10:30 PM   #4
No static at all

Glad to hear the good news Kevin!! Just curious if you ended up using the preamp?
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Sep-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
tbabmole

Yes, I did hook it up, but I will try it without and let you know how much difference there is.