TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 4-Sep-2014, 4:51 PM   #1
lets go red

Help with reception in Wisconsin

I need help with choosing a setup for my location in a rural town. We already receive WQOW (ABC and The CW), WEUX (FOX), and WHWC (PBS) with a RCA ant800 mounted about 8 ft high (agl) facing NNE. But it would be really nice to get the other two of the big 4 (NBC and CBS). The location is in a mature mid-century neighborhood with mostly single story homes and does not have a chimney.

Cost is a factor and not drilling any holes in the roof is a must as it was recently replaced.

TV Fool report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d24343428052a2

Any and all suggestions would be awesome!

Last edited by lets go red; 9-Sep-2014 at 6:14 PM.
lets go red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Sep-2014, 5:29 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

The small ANT-800 is doing remarkably better than one would anticipate. Your report indicates the need for a 'deep-fringe' full size antenna system. The ANT-800 is primarily a UHF only antenna. In stronger signal areas, it may be able to receive VHF signals, but it's no surprise that the weak signal on real CH-11 is not seen. Another significant factor can be seen when you click on the call sign of a given station on your TV Fool report... There appears to be hills near your location that block your line of sight toward the TV transmitters.

Avoiding obstructions such as trees and structures is going to play an important part in obtaining reliable reception. If I were to mount a tripod to my roof, I would prefer that the roof be new. Presuming proper technique and hardware is used, a new roof is far less likely to have problems than an older one due to installation of antenna hardware. New roofing will be pliable and capable of self sealing around fasteners, though the correct sealing materials should be included as a part of the installation. Ground mounted masts and towers along with eave brackets are another option to consider.(Enough of 'my two cents' on this.)

I'd consider a full size system, my 'go to' combination is currently an Antennas Direct DB8E UHF antenna + Antennacraft Y10713 High-VHF antenna + RCA TVPRAMP1R preamplifier.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Sep-2014, 8:22 AM   #3
teleview

+=>

Install a Separate antenna with separate amplifier and separate coax and separate splitters and separate etc. , that is not connected to the other antenna system.

--------------------------

Install a.

http://www.antennacraft.net.

HBU55 antenna aimed at about 299 degree magnetic compass direction.

---------------------------

Install a.

http://www.antennacraft.net.

10G201 preamplifier.

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-2D , 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-3D , 3 way splitter.

Buy the , HFS-2D , HFS-3D , splitters at.

http://www.hollandelectronics.com , or , http://www.amazon.com.

At each Tv location that the signal of the HBU55 antenna is routed to.

Install a , Tuner/Tuner Recorder. And connect to the Tv.

http://www.epvision.com.
Old 5-Sep-2014, 1:58 PM   #4
lets go red

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
The small ANT-800 is doing remarkably better than one would anticipate. Your report indicates the need for a 'deep-fringe' full size antenna system. The ANT-800 is primarily a UHF only antenna. In stronger signal areas, it may be able to receive VHF signals, but it's no surprise that the weak signal on real CH-11 is not seen. Another significant factor can be seen when you click on the call sign of a given station on your TV Fool report... There appears to be hills near your location that block your line of sight toward the TV transmitters.
Even more odd is that WQOW came in slightly better on my GE 24734-V2 Millennium (bunny-ear/ loop) Antenna that I tossed out on the patio on a whim.

Quote:
Avoiding obstructions such as trees and structures is going to play an important part in obtaining reliable reception. If I were to mount a tripod to my roof, I would prefer that the roof be new. Presuming proper technique and hardware is used, a new roof is far less likely to have problems than an older one due to installation of antenna hardware. New roofing will be pliable and capable of self sealing around fasteners, though the correct sealing materials should be included as a part of the installation. Ground mounted masts and towers along with eave brackets are another option to consider.(Enough of 'my two cents' on this.)
Never thought of this before. I remember back when I was young, a family friend had to replace his entire roof because of problems stemming from a bad antenna install.

Quote:
I'd consider a full size system, my 'go to' combination is currently an Antennas Direct DB8E UHF antenna + Antennacraft Y10713 High-VHF antenna + RCA TVPRAMP1R preamplifier.
If we did it this way could we use the ANT-800 in place of the DB8e? (save a little bit of $)

Last edited by lets go red; 5-Sep-2014 at 2:22 PM.
Old 5-Sep-2014, 4:02 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets go red View Post

If we did it this way could we use the ANT-800 in place of the DB8e? (save a little bit of $)
You could certainly try adding just the Y10713. It would improve your signal strength and quality on real channels 9 & 11. It would also allow you to aim the ANT-800 for best reception of UHF signals with no regard to the VHF signals. If you don't manage to get WCCO to come in reliably with the ANT-800, you can step up to a full size UHF antenna at any time.

There are alternates to the DB8E;

The older Antennas Direct DB8 & 91XG designs
Antennacraft MXU-59 & U8000
Channel Master CM4228
Winegard HD9095
And various others

All but the DB8E are designed to cover up to real CH-69 which is no longer used for TV service. The FCC sold the bandwidth of real channels 52 through 69 to cell phone and other interests. The DB8E is optimized to cover a narrower range of frequencies so it has a slight edge in performance over all the older designs.

If you add only the Y10713 you would also need a preamp such as the RCA TVPRAMP1R. This unit has two inputs, one for UHF and another for VHF. I would set the preamp to use only one input (there are two switches, one to turn on a filter to block FM signals which can cause interference, and the other that selects combined or separate input. when set to 'combined' the input port labeled 'UHF' will accept both UHF and VHF signals.) I would mount the outdoor preamplifier head at the Y10713 location, and the power supply unit in a protected area with access to a power outlet, adjacent to the power outlet that serves the ANT-800 power supply. I would use a passive UHF/VHF combiner to combine the two antenna feeds after they have passed through their power insertion blocks. You can not mix the two power sources on a common down lead.

This install would be more straight forward if you used a passive UHF antenna and a passive H-VHF, because you would only need to power one preamp, the dual input TVPRAMP1R. As a result, only one down lead would be required. In this case the TVPRAMP1R would be set for 'separate' UHF and VHF inputs.

Old 6-Sep-2014, 2:10 PM   #6
lets go red

Thanks for the suggestions GroundUrMast & teleview! I'm surprised at the amount of options that exist for the situation.

On a side note, KMSP is now on UHF (ch. 29, virt 9.1 I believe) as of this past June: http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story...the-air-on-uhf

Last edited by lets go red; 6-Sep-2014 at 2:14 PM.
Old 9-Sep-2014, 6:06 PM   #7
lets go red

Just ordered the RCA preamp, I am probably going to pair it with the ANT-800 for the time being. This project, unfortunately, is gonna have to be built bit-by-bit due to finances.

Anyway, my question is when mounting the preamp do you put it before or after the grounding block?

Last edited by lets go red; 9-Sep-2014 at 6:37 PM.
Old 9-Sep-2014, 7:11 PM   #8
GroundUrMast

The preamp is housed in a unit designed for outdoor exposure. It will provide the best results if located near the antenna. Also included with the preamp is a separate power supply, which is intended for mounting in a protected (normally indoors) area with access to an outlet. The power is coupled into the coax to be sent up to the outdoor unit.

As I mentioned earlier, the ANT-800 has a functionally similar arrangement. If you retain the ANT-800 for the time being, you'll not be able to power the ANT-800 and the new preamp via the same coax down lead. The two antennas need separate down-leads and grounding blocks.

Once the signal from each antenna is output from their respective power insertion devises, they can be combined using a UHF/VHF signal joiner. The output of the UVSJ can then be cabled a single coax run to the TV.

Radio Shack #15-2586, http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=uvsj and http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direc.../dp/B008PBTPN4 are examples of passive UHF/VHF combiners.

Old 9-Sep-2014, 7:40 PM   #9
lets go red

Thanks, what if I replace the very tiny and rather weak 12v in-line amp with the new pre-amp system? (Since the ANT-800 is the only antenna in use at the moment.)

Last edited by lets go red; 9-Sep-2014 at 7:42 PM.
Old 9-Sep-2014, 7:52 PM   #10
GroundUrMast

The ANT-800 preamp circuitry is built into the outdoor antenna assembly. The devise that connects power to the coax is not an amplifier, but only power supply/insertion components. If you remove the power supply of the ANT-800, the preamp circuitry inside the antenna will block nearly all signals.

If you try to power both preamps from one power supply, you risk sending the wrong voltage to one amplifier and/or overloading the one power supply that was designed power only one amplifier circuit. Even if both power supplies are of identical voltage and polarity... And have the capacity to drive two amplifiers (an assumption I would not make), you would need to have a UHF/VHF combiner that passes power on both the UHF and VHF ports. I don't believe there are any that are designed to do so.

I'm sorry, but the design of the ANT-800 removes the flexibility we desire/need in this application.

Old 15-Sep-2014, 2:35 PM   #11
lets go red

After some thought, the HBU-55 or HD7697P is most likely what I'm going to purchase (with KMSP now on UHF, getting a separate antenna solely for one channel doesn't seem financially prudent). We are planing on keeping the ANT-800 in its current location and will use an A-B splitter when viewing on that system.

What are some good, cost effective mounting methods that can clear the 30-35'ish foot neighborhood tree line (the roof is not a possibility)?

Last edited by lets go red; 26-Sep-2014 at 2:20 PM.
Old 15-Sep-2014, 3:15 PM   #12
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
cost effective
Make firewood out of the tree. Anything else is going to cost more.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Sep-2014, 6:08 PM   #13
lets go red

Ok, what are some mounting options that won't make basic cable seem inexpensive?

I'm sort of tossing around the idea of mounting it in the backyard by bracing a thicker gauge pole to a solid wood clothesline post and going from there.

Also, should I even try aiming at WKBT Ch. 8 as the south is mostly clear of trees and the hills are a about two+ miles off in the distance?

Updated radar plot: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d24300c33e7023

Last edited by lets go red; 26-Sep-2014 at 2:24 PM.
Old 26-Sep-2014, 2:23 PM   #14
lets go red

Quote:
Ok, what are some mounting options that won't make basic cable seem inexpensive?

Also, should I even try aiming at WKBT Ch. 8 as the south is mostly clear of trees and the hills are a about two+ miles off in the distance?

Any suggestions?
Old 26-Sep-2014, 2:27 PM   #15
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

The odds of picking up that channel 8 are somewhere between minimal and nil.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Sep-2014, 6:05 PM   #16
timgr

Quote:

I'm sort of tossing around the idea of mounting it in the backyard by bracing a thicker gauge pole to a solid wood clothesline post and going from there.

I kinda doubt you can get to 35' using the clothesline post.

The clear alternative is to buy an extendable mast, mount it in an open area on your property, and then use guy wires to keep it up. 35' is certainly achievable this way.

How high is your highest gable peak?

You could also use gable end peak to secure a mast that extends to the ground on a pad, and then extend the mast unsupported up beyond the roof peak. This would not penetrate your roof surface. But the height you can extend up unsupported is not more than about 10' I would presume. You could go higher if you could figure a way to add some guy wires without putting holes in your roof. It just depends on what you have to work with.

http://www.rohnnet.com/rohn-telescoping-masts
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Sep-2014, 8:58 PM   #17
Stereocraig

There should plenty of people, that would be willing to GIVE you their old unused tower, in exchange for your dismantling labor.

I have two and all they cost, were the 60# bags of ready mix, the rotors and the antennas.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Sep-2014, 4:50 PM   #18
lets go red

Thanks for suggestions everyone, many mounting options to consider!

The HBU-55 is temporarily on a piece of metal conduit about 15 ft up next to the wooden post and it is picking up WEAU (real 38) more clear & stable then KARE (real 11). This is surprising because TVFool, RabbitEars, and the FCC tool show ch 38 as not receivable.

No dice, so far, on a CBS whatsoever (WCCO and WKBT), however.

Last edited by lets go red; 28-Sep-2014 at 7:01 PM.
Old 29-Sep-2014, 12:23 AM   #19
lets go red

UPDATE: KMSP is still using VHF at the moment, on virtual 9.9 . So both VHF stations out of The Cities come in, but none of the UHF. I'm guessing the neighborhood tree line is negatively affecting the signal(s). WEAU is still coming in strong.
Old 30-Sep-2014, 4:01 PM   #20
lets go red

UPDATE II: Still no luck with a CBS.

The antenna is currently catching WHWC (real 27) stably, no matter the direction the it is facing. (I presume this is somewhat neat considering the transmitter is 30 mi away with an edge signal.)

WQOW and WEUX are receivable off the back end of the aerial but they cut in and out occasionally.

Also, I need to say DigitalStream converter boxes are quite good at channel finding, much better then the Vizio and Samsung tv(s) in the house.

Last edited by lets go red; 30-Sep-2014 at 5:36 PM.