TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Special Topics > Antennas

Notices

Old 2-Jul-2011, 3:03 PM   #1
Country Boy

Post Best FM Antenna You can buy

I would like to know what is the best FM Antenna you can buy?

I have trouble picking up a FM radio station in my house using the YAMAHA Natural Sound AV Receiver RX-V861.

I can pick up the station on my car radio with a whip antenna without any trouble, but at times it does not come in clear. But also you still can hear it.

Than you come into the house and turn the radio on you cannot pick the station up.

I am looking at the Winegard HD6055P antenna, what do you think about this? Will a booster work with the antenna? Is there different waits of boosters? Not sure how you measure a booster.

My antenna is 20 feet off the ground and nothing in it's way.

I really enjoy listening to this station.
Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Jul-2011, 1:31 PM   #2
No static at all

Is there some type of antenna hooked to the receiver now?
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Jul-2011, 1:05 AM   #3
Country Boy

Yes I have my HDTV antenna hooked to it.
Old 4-Jul-2011, 2:28 AM   #4
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

It is best to run a separate coax from the FM antenna to the FM tuner. Check out these. http://www.magnumdynalab.com/md205.htm , http://www.magnumdynalab.com/fmantennas-md10.htm , http://www.radio-locator.com , http://www.fmfool.com

Last edited by John Candle; 4-Jul-2011 at 2:47 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Jul-2011, 2:41 PM   #5
No static at all

The 6055 is a great antenna, but if the station is receivable in the car a smaller, less expensive antenna will likely get the job done.

What is your zip code & which station(s) are you trying to receive? Can you offer any specifics about your present HDTV antenna?
Old 4-Jul-2011, 4:25 PM   #6
Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by No static at all View Post
The 6055 is a great antenna, but if the station is receivable in the car a smaller, less expensive antenna will likely get the job done.

What is your zip code & which station(s) are you trying to receive? Can you offer any specifics about your present HDTV antenna?
My Zip Code is 43567.

The stations that I am trying to get are: WJTA and WNOC.

I have a Channel Master HDTV antenna but I am not sure which modal I have. it is pointed to-wards Toledo, Ohio. An that has a FM antenna on it.

The HDTV antenna has 17 total elements on it 8 short ones and 9 long ones.
What other information would be helpful?
Old 4-Jul-2011, 5:06 PM   #7
Country Boy

What makes the MD-10 High Gain FM Antenna so much better?

How does the 6055 antenna compare with the MD-10?
Old 4-Jul-2011, 10:18 PM   #8
John Candle

FM Reception

The MD-10 has 12 dB gain , the 6055 has 8 dB gain. The MD-10 is made of Commercial Grade Extruded Aluminum and the MD-10 has a second boom brace to keep the antenna stable.
Old 4-Jul-2011, 10:54 PM   #9
Country Boy

Will they both do the same job as will?

Or will one do a better job? Although the MD-10 has 4 more db gain?

There is not a dealer area where I live that handles the MD-10. So you use what your dealer can get right.

I have question: I read some where they said do not use the same lead cable from your HDTV antenna for your FM antenna why? Where would you hook up another lead cable on the back of my YAMAHA Natural Sound AV Receiver RX-V861? What they are saying you have to hook both HDTV and the FM antennas cable to 2 different hook up on the receiver right?

What would be the reasoning behind this? Would you have a filter to filter out any interference since the HDTV antenna has a FM antenna built into it? I would like to do it the right way.

Last edited by Country Boy; 4-Jul-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 5-Jul-2011, 12:01 AM   #10
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

If you live in Ohio , there are 5 dealers in the state of Ohio for the MD-10. You stated you will like the best reception , if that is not the case , then. The place for the FM antenna connection is next to the Am antenna connection on the back of the receiver.
Old 5-Jul-2011, 1:38 AM   #11
Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Candle View Post
If you live in Ohio , there are 5 dealers in the state of Ohio for the MD-10. You stated you will like the best reception , if that is not the case , then. The place for the FM antenna connection is next to the Am antenna connection on the back of the receiver.
Yes John That is where I have the HDTV hooked up at if I am not mistaking. Which I very will could be. An if I am right where would you hook the TV up at? You see what they are telling me that I would have to have 2 hook ups, one for the FM radio an one for the TV. It's been 4 years since I hooked up everything and I could be mistaking.
Old 5-Jul-2011, 2:11 AM   #12
No static at all

Both of the desired stations are weak, but gettable with a low cost dedicated FM antenna mounted on the roof. I suggest the Antennacraft FM-6 which I have used many times with excellent results up to 80 miles out.

You may need a rotator as the stations are about 60° apart, though you may be able to find a spot where both come in well enough to not need to rotate. I'm afraid an omni-directional antenna may not have enough gain to pull the desired stations in satisfactorily.

I've tried larger, higher gain FM antennas, but the biggest obstacle to most FM problems is electrical interference (static) from overhead power lines. The larger antennas never really helped much if any overcoming those detrimental effects created by the power lines.

Run a separate RG-6 coax cable directly to the receiver. No amplification is necessary or recommended.
Old 5-Jul-2011, 12:57 PM   #13
Dave Loudin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Boy View Post
Yes John That is where I have the HDTV hooked up at if I am not mistaking. Which I very will could be. An if I am right where would you hook the TV up at? You see what they are telling me that I would have to have 2 hook ups, one for the FM radio an one for the TV. It's been 4 years since I hooked up everything and I could be mistaking.
Look at the back where the coax is hooked up - it is clearly labelled "FM". Your receiver is NOT the tuner for HDTV - you either tune with the TV or with a set-top box. Two scenarios are possible: 1) there is a splitter in the line from the antenna, with one output feeding whatever TV tuner you have and the other output feeding the receiver, or 2) whatever tuner you have has an ANT IN and and ANT OUT, with a coax from the ANT OUT feeding your receiver.

What we are saying is: do not try to combine your new FM antenna with the TV antenna's feed. Run a coax directly from the new antenna to your receiver.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jul-2011, 4:19 PM   #14
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Please go to FMFool.com and run an exact address report. Post the resulting image so we can see the relative signal strengths of the desired stations. A zip code level report probably isn't precise enough when dealing with distant stations.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Jul-2011, 11:38 PM   #15
Country Boy

You was talking about having a separate cable for the FM antenna run, and you say it will be allot better doing it this way, could you give the reasons of doing it this way? I want to make it clear to the person that is doing the work for me that this is the way I want it done. If he gives me any question about it I can tell him the reasons of doing it this way.

I understand or feel that some of you do this for a living. An most of you are very knowledgeable on this. So I need all your reasoning on doing it this way.

I should have the antenna up by the weekend. If it was not in today it will be here tomorrow Wednesday.

I ended up getting the HD6055P FM Antenna. I would like to thank ALL of you for your help in understand how I can bring in the FM stations that I would like to receive, if it was not for you I would still be looking for ways of doing this.

Last edited by Country Boy; 5-Jul-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 6-Jul-2011, 12:07 AM   #16
John Candle

FM Reception

Having the FM antenna on a separate coax means that there will be no antenna cross talk between the Tv antenna and the Fm antenna. There will be no cross talk because the two antennas will not be connected together. The Tv antenna is the Tv antenna and the Fm antenna is the Fm antenna. The Fm coax is the Fm coax and Tv coax is the Tv coax. One is one and the other is the other.

Last edited by John Candle; 6-Jul-2011 at 12:11 AM.