TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 26-Aug-2010, 4:25 PM   #1
kenais

Selection help in NW Wisconsin

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9fbe6e0d6f7a13

Here is my report. My house is slightly downhill from the surrounding area and there are many trees to the north west and east. I do have a high peaked roof.

I'd like to receive the channels from the SW and at least WEUX to the SE.

Can you help me with equipment selection?
kenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Aug-2010, 7:05 PM   #2
mtownsend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenais View Post
Hello and welcome!

Are you absolutely set on getting WEUX? There is another Fox affiliate, KMSP (channel 9), that is located in the same place as all the other transmitters in Minneapolis.

If you stick with only the Minneapolis stations, then your antenna setup will be very simple. Just point an antenna like the Winegard HD7694P or Antennacraft HBU-33 toward compass heading 231ยบ and you're done.

If you really want stations from both the Minneapolis and La Crosse-Eau Claire markets, then you will need to use an antenna rotator -OR- install two antennas and combine them. You can get stations from both metros, but there are consequences to consider with either of these solutions.

Unless you have a pressing need for WEUX, I would just go for the Minneapolis stations.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Aug-2010, 7:43 PM   #3
Billiam

^^^My guess is that he wants to watch the Packers and not the Vikings. :-)
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Aug-2010, 8:52 PM   #4
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenais View Post
From the SW: Antennacraft HBU-22 or Winegard HD7694P

WEUX: any UHF only antenna, but the 91XG will work better than anything else.

Ad them together with a Jointenna tuned to channel 49. http://www.warrenelectronics.com/Ant...Jointennas.htm

This will work for one or 2 TVs. If more are needed add a preamp or distribution amplifier.

There are other ways to do the same thing, but this solution is an exact answer to your question.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-Aug-2010, 9:03 PM   #5
kenais

Spot on with the Packers, that is the only reason I'd like to receive that station. Seeing Farve twice a year is enough. I'd also like to get the ABC affiliate from LaCrosse/Eau Claire to pick up the Badger games. Any additional channels from Wisconsin would be a bonus.

I have 2 TVs in my house I'd like to hook up.

Would I be better off with a rotor or 2 antennas? I figured I would probably need a pre-amp.
Old 26-Aug-2010, 10:50 PM   #6
John Candle

tv reception

An easy way to do it is two seperate antennas and seperate coax to each tv and remote control A/B coax switch box at each tv. Radio Shack has the remote control A/B switch box. For the antennas a winegard HD7694P pointed south west and a winegard HD7696P pointed south east. No pre amplifiers are needed with the antennas. No pre amplifiers are needed . http://www.solidsignal.com

Last edited by John Candle; 27-Aug-2010 at 4:47 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Aug-2010, 2:53 AM   #7
Billiam

It may be a while before you see a Jointenna. I ordered one at the end of March and when I called Warren a couple of weeks ago to find out what happened, they told me they were still waiting to receive them.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Aug-2010, 4:16 PM   #8
kenais

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Candle View Post
An easy way to do it is two seperate antennas and seperate coax to each tv and remote control A/B coax switch box at each tv. Radio Shack has the remote control A/B switch box. For the antennas a winegard HD7694P pointed south west and a winegard HD7696P pointed south east. No pre amplifiers are needed with the antennas. No pre amplifiers are needed . http://www.solidsignal.com
Thanks for the advise, that looks like a nice set-up for me.

Just to make sure I understand this... I run a coax from each antenna to inside my house. Then install a 1-2 splitter. Then 2 coax to each TVs switch box. Is that correct?

There will be about 60' of cabling for each TV. Sure those antennas are large enough?