TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 30-Jun-2011, 9:09 PM   #1
turp7622

Unhappy Signal Problems

I live in Houston, TX 32 miles straight north of the Antenna Farm. Nearly every channel in Houston comes from 7 antennas in the Farm.

My Issue is that channel 2.1 (real channel is 35) will have signal strength go from 78% to 40% the to 0 and back to 78% randomly. the SNR shows about 30db then drops to 22db then 0 and back to 30db. this is the only channel that does this.

Here is my Signal Report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...03d94e686de3fc

From looking at the information on the Antenna Farm channel 39.1 (real channel is 38) broadcasts from the same antenna. this channel is 85% constant with no drops.

I get all other channels with no problems or drops. only the one channel.

From reading about the signal drop and bounce back, I would gather it is a multipath issue. but I would also assume that all the other channels would have same issue as all the antennas are within a square mile of each other 177 deg and 32 miles south of me. At least the channel broadcasting from the same antenna.

Antenna is HBU33 in attic.

I have moved antenna couple feet to the right and left and forward and backward but have same issue.

Anyone have any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

Last edited by turp7622; 30-Jun-2011 at 9:14 PM.
turp7622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jun-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

What direction is the main airport located from you direction?? I'll be back with more information , gotta run.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jun-2011, 11:41 PM   #3
turp7622

Airport is 20 miles to the east. The landing planes do come in at about 2500 ft about a mile or two to the south of me.

It could make sense for multi path, but there again, I would expect it to be more than just one channel as all signals are coming from same location.
turp7622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Jul-2011, 12:29 AM   #4
John Candle

I believe the problem is multi path , Try pointing the front of the antenna down , this will tilt the top UHF reflector in more of a downward direction so there will be less reception from reflections off of planes. Another thing to try is a variable attenuator , Antennas Direct 1296F . dialing down the signal strength also dials down the reflected signals and the tuner will be better able to filter out the reflected signals. If you have any amplifiers connected , remove them completly. Another thing to try is move the antenna to the outside.
Old 2-Jul-2011, 5:07 AM   #5
John Candle

Here is a antenna that is designed to reduce multipath , Winegard HD7210P. http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...p?prod=ANWGHST , http://winegard.com/kbase/upload/hd7210p.pdf
Old 2-Jul-2011, 1:19 PM   #6
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by turp7622 View Post
Anyone have any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?
If the intervals between the dropouts are 31 seconds or a multiple of 31 seconds, it could be a transmitter problem.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Jul-2011, 8:05 PM   #7
John Candle

Call KPRC 713-222-2222 and ask for the engineering department.