TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 10-Sep-2014, 4:24 PM   #1
bobby

Help a 1st timer with antenna selection

Hi, Please help me with antenna selection using the following data.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243e8bed7ef66

I used 15' (top of roof) as my height, if you think I should extend please let me know.

thanks, bobby
bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Jan-2015, 2:33 PM   #2
Jason l

Wow you are located at a great spot for free ota. Any out door antenna Will work. Have you picked one yet?
Jason l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Jan-2015, 3:58 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

I have to agree, your TVFool report is encouraging.

I would expect a small antenna to do well with many of the signals listed, but the CBS and NBC affiliates make me suggest a bit more antenna. To get reliable reception of these two signals will require mounting outdoors. Avoid obstructions such as trees and structures.

I'd suggest using two antennas.
1: An Antennas Direct DB4E facing SSE (about 195°per a real compass to start... fine tune the aim for best overall results). This antenna handles UHF reception (real channels 14 and higher).
2: An Antennacraft Y10713 pointed south (about 180° per a real compass to start... , again, fine tune the aim for best overall results with WPTV and WPEC). This antenna is designed to receive H-VHF signals (real channels 7 through 13).

To combine the two antennas into a common down-lead, a UHF/VHF combiner would be needed. The Antennas Direct EU385CF includes an outdoor mounting box that protects the filter from the elements. It can be clamped directly to the mast, near the antennas.

Before you settle on a mounting location, it's prudent to test reception. No point in drilling holes that need to be repaired... Or buying hardware that doesn't put the antennas in a good location.

Depending on the antenna location, you may not need any amplification. This test should help you determine one way or the other.

Your rabbitears.info report

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote