Old 15-Jan-2014, 2:26 AM   #1
karl

do i need a rotator

need some advice here.
my address 216 E. wyandotte st. meriden KS
using a 30 foot mast
and maybe winegard 8200u

according to my local channel map
Kc stations are about 59 miles from me at an approximate 110 degree from my due north
Topeka channels are about 29 miles at an approximate 225 degrees from due north.

if I aim the winegard 8200u at KC 59 miless away would I still receive my Topeka local channels 29 miles away without having the need to rotate the antennae
karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Jan-2014, 4:18 AM   #2
teleview

The Topeka area Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/channels are strong signal strengths.
And will most likely be received.

--------

Aim the antenna at about 96 degree magnetic compass direction , Kansas City.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

--------

Directional antennas such as and not limited to the Winegard HD8200U antenna , receive the best at the front of the antenna , a little less at front angles to the antenna , less at back angles and back of the antenna.

Directional antennas receive the least amount of signal directly on the sides of the directional antenna.

--------

Looking at the radar plot.

See that aiming the antenna at about 96 degrees magnetic compass direction , puts the Topeka Tv stations at a back angle to the antenna , so the strong signal strength Topeka Tv stations should be received.

Aim the antenna and scan for channels.

Digital Broadcast Tv Tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Rescan.

http://www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf.

--------

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b949386a58905.
Old 15-Jan-2014, 11:10 AM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

You have no use or need for an 8200 as there are no low-VHF stations within range of you.

I'd suggest a large 8-bay UHF antenna aimed at Kansas City. You *might* need a rotor, but the odds are decent that all of your local Topeka stations will come in off the back.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Jan-2014, 4:01 PM   #4
StephanieS

Hello Karl,

ADtech steers you right on a large UHF aerial like a DB8, CM 4228 or U8000 for Kansas City reception. You are fortunate that the majority of Kansas City signals are only separated by 8 degrees and are UHF only making them a one antenna application.

Only thing I would add is that you have two high-VHFs (real channels 7-13) in Topeka. Both have a healthy signal at your location so the chances of seeing them off of a UHF antenna are decent. If real channels 11 and 13 aren't reliable there are other ways to handle that if needed.

Start with a Antennas Direct DB8 orientated to magnetic 96 without a rotor. You'll know after a couple days of watching your reliability and what steps, if any, you want to take next.

Good luck!
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Jan-2014, 9:43 PM   #5
teleview

+=>
-----
You have the HD8200U , so go ahead and use the HD8200U.
Old 15-Jan-2014, 11:50 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

And if you have not spent the money on the 8200, the UHF only options make a great deal more sense based on economics and wind/ice/bird-perch loading

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Jan-2014, 12:01 AM   #7
karl

Thanks for the advice i will be putting up my tripod mast next month. Then I will be able to test yalls advice
Old 16-Jan-2014, 12:06 AM   #8
karl

One more quick question. Of the recomended antennas which one will withstand my vicious kansas winds the best
Old 16-Jan-2014, 4:14 AM   #9
GroundUrMast

My preference leans heavily toward the Antennas Direct DB8e for it's build quality, and it's engineered with the current UHF channel allocations which allows it to offer a bit more performance compared to the older designs.

Old 16-Jan-2014, 6:40 PM   #10
karl

well thanks again, I just ordered the DB8e from solid signal $89.99 with free s/h after $40.00 coupon discount code. That was the lowest price I could find online. I am sure someone will find a better price somewhere ,so go ahead tell me how I paid too much. but For a couple of bucks more than my monthly cable bill...... I can live with the price
Old 16-Jan-2014, 7:23 PM   #11
GroundUrMast

I'll get in line with you... It sounds like you got a good deal.

Old 11-Mar-2014, 11:57 PM   #12
karl

well i finally got the antenna mounted yesterday and the reception is great . I am picking up all of the KC stations and Topeka stations in hd digital . I mounted the DB8e on a 5' mast on a 30' three legged base . thanks for all your help