TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 6-Sep-2017, 1:53 PM   #1
Dude

Antenna / Reception Help in Asheville

Hi all,

As the title suggests, looking for help in getting the proper antenna(s) in the wonderful (and reception impaired) mountains of Asheville, NC.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a433d1c27b3a

I borrowed a '1byone 85 Miles Digital Amplified Outdoor/Attic HDTV Antenna' from my neighbor for testing. My goal is to get the 4 major broadcasters...I'm having trouble pulling in CBS (7.1).

Through trial-n-error, I've gotten the best combination of channels and reception when mounted in the attic at 180 (+/-) with the amplifier on a 3' jumper, then a 20' run to a TV. CBS still doesn't come in though.

My question: Is this the proper antenna for receiving the two VHF-Hi channels (ABC & CBS) plus the two UHF Channels (NBC & Fox). Would I benefit more from pointing one antenna at 200 while pointing another antenna at 161 to get CBS?. I've pointed this 1byone antenna at 161 but still can't get CBS (7.1).

My neighborhood is in a bit of a valley, and I do have a large hill at my 180. (Yes, the general direction of most of my towers.) I can roof mount to add another 12-15 feet.

Ultimately, I'll run this signal to a HDHomeRun and then onto my three TVs.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

And a BIG thanks to this forum and related links/info...been a big help!
Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Sep-2017, 5:19 PM   #2
jrgagne99

You have some strong translator signals that may help you get your networks of interest. You should check out your translator station IDs on rabbitears.info.

https://www.rabbitears.info/market.p...n=wunf#station

For example,
W34DX (real-34) = FOX
W08BP (real-8) = CBS

This will help you get a better sense of signal location and band for the networks of interest.

Also, please use the call signs for the stations you are trying to receive, as it eliminates ambiguity (i.e. which NBC are you talking about, WYFF or WCYB?)

Last edited by jrgagne99; 6-Sep-2017 at 5:52 PM.
jrgagne99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Sep-2017, 7:49 PM   #3
Dude

Thanks for the quick reply.

rabbitears.info shows that W09AR-D is a translator for WSPA, and it's just a few miles away. I'll test that signal next.

Any thoughts on the antenna I'm using?

Good point regarding call signs.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 6-Sep-2017, 8:35 PM   #4
jrgagne99

You have an interesting situation. According to your report, your best chance for CBS is on W02AH, but that is analog, and VHF-lo, ch-2. For NBC, WCYB on ch-5 is sitting at NM=3.1 dB. Tough but not impossible. WYFF (NBC ch-36 is 10dB lower at -6.9 dB). I doubt you will be able to get that unless you find a hotspot from constructive 2-edge signal bending. That may push you towards something with VHF-lo elements (BIG ANTENNA) if you really want to get NBC.

All that said, I think there is a slight chance to get the 4 major networks with a Winegard 7698P aimed at 191-degrees magnetic. With that aim, *might* get NBC on WYFF, Ch-36. Without re-aiming, you would hopefully also get CBS (W08BP ch-8), and you are likely to get ABC (WLOS, ch-13), and FOX (either on W34DX ch-34 or WHNS ch-21), and PBS (WUNF ch-25).

If that doesn't work, you would probably need to switch to a Winegard HD8200U or a CM-5020, i.e. something with VHF-lo elements to get your NBC and CBS from the north. Aim toward 31-degrees magnetic north for NBC (WCYB ch-5) and CBS (W02AH ch-2, analog). With that aim, there is a chance of pulling in ABC (WLOS), FOX (W34DX), and PBS (WUNF) from the southwest off the back of the antenna. If you don't, you might need a rotor. I'm not sure if there is such a thing as a VHF-lo / VHF-hi+UHF signal joiner. But if there is, a two antenna solution with such a combiner might be possible to avoid using a rotor. Unfortunately, I don't think there are any VHF-lo only antennas on the market anymore.

Others will undoubtedly chime in with better proposals...

Last edited by jrgagne99; 6-Sep-2017 at 8:54 PM.
Old 6-Sep-2017, 9:22 PM   #5
jrgagne99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgagne99 View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think there are any VHF-lo only antennas on the market anymore.
Question for all the smart folks on the forum...

Would an FM-band antenna such as the MCM-30-2460 work for ch-5 (WCYB, NM=3.1 dB) and ch-2 (W02AH, NM=12.5 dB)?
Old 8-Sep-2017, 3:41 AM   #6
Dude

Thanks for all the information. You've given me a lot to read up on.

if anyone else has any thoughts they'd like to share, I'd love to hear them!
Old 8-Sep-2017, 3:44 PM   #7
Tower Guy

An FM antenna might work on channel 6, but 2-5 is unlikely.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Sep-2017, 3:59 PM   #8
Dude

I re-ran my TV Fool Reception Report using the suggested sticky in this forum "A reliable method for generating a TV Fool Reception Report."

Not sure if that changes anything, but I do see that a few 'Signal' numbers have changed, albeit not by much.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a41a142e3bd1
Old 8-Sep-2017, 5:36 PM   #9
jrgagne99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
Not sure if that changes anything, but I do see that a few 'Signal' numbers have changed, albeit not by much.
No significant difference that I could see. My recommendation stands.

Your best chance for all 4 major networks (+PBS) is with a CM-5020 or Winegard 8200, a mast-mounted pre-amp (e.g. CM-7778, RCA TVPRAMP-01), and a rotor. Some would suggest a Ham-quality rotor since those are pretty big antennas. But the garden-variety rotor might work just fine depending on how windy your area is.

Again, there is slight chance that a Winegard 7698P (or either one of the above antennas) pointed to 191-magnetc (no rotor), with a pre-amp, will work for all 4 major networks (+PBS) as well. But there are no useful VHF-lo signals to the south, that is why the 7698P is preferred for the south-pointing, no-rotor, proposition.

Last edited by jrgagne99; 8-Sep-2017 at 5:39 PM.
Old 9-Sep-2017, 1:51 PM   #10
Dude

I've purchased the 8200 and the CM-7778. Should be here next week.

I'll give an update after they're installed.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 24-Sep-2017, 3:58 PM   #11
Dude

I installed the Winegard 8200 along with the CM-5020 on the roof to a chimney mount.

Using the information you gave me above, plus what I found on rabbitears.info, I pointed the antenna in various directions (31, 161, 254)...and alas, I could not receive WSPA (CBS 7.1) or any of it's translators.

My LG TV would show a Signal Strength that bounced between 0-22%, but the Signal Quality never climbed higher than 1%.

I was however able to get the other 3 network channels, plus PBS and CW.

WYCW (CW, Real 45, Virt 62) does offer WSPA on 62.2 in SD. So it looks like that's the best I can get.

Thanks for your help. I learned a lot.
Old 28-Sep-2017, 2:42 PM   #12
jrgagne99

You're welcome. WSPA was a long shot at NM=-4 dB.

So are you getting your NBC on WCYB real-5? Are you going to need to install a rotor to move aim between 225/254, 185, and 31-degrees? I'll be interested to hear the eventual details of your final set-up.
Old 28-Sep-2017, 3:06 PM   #13
Dude

I was able to pull in WYFF (real-36) when pointed at 158 through 254, but WSPA never came in. I tested it at several different positions trying to pickup one of WSPA's translators.

As I said in my first post, before installing this this Winegard Antenna and Amp, I borrowed a neighbors smaller "Amazon-special" antenna and got the same results. WLOS, WUNF, WHNS came in Very Good, while WYCW and WYFF came in Good.

Since I can get the same reception using a smaller antenna (at least this is my understanding after the various trial-n-errors) I ordered the Winegard HD7649P and will use it with CM-5020 amp.

I may even try an attic install since that smaller 1byone antenna pulled in all the above stations when I tested it (except of course WSPA).

I'll do an update later.
Old 17-Oct-2017, 7:07 PM   #14
Dude

Final update for this project.

Installed the Winegard HD7649P along with the CM-7778 amp in my attic pointed towards mag 160.

My signal strength is 'Very Good' for the ABC, PBS and FOX affiliates, while the NBC affiliate (real-36) is a "Good' signal as is the CW affiliate (Real 45), which has CBS in SD (62.2).

So, all in all, I'm happy with this setup, and considering my topography, I was surprised to do this well.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Old 17-Oct-2017, 7:07 PM   #15
Dude

Here's a pic:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_F...3GDeN7g55HlJ1A
Old 17-Oct-2017, 8:28 PM   #16
jrgagne99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
My signal strength is 'Very Good' for the ABC, PBS and FOX affiliates, while the NBC affiliate (real-36) is a "Good' signal as is the CW affiliate (Real 45), which has CBS in SD (62.2).
It's impressive that WYFF (Real-36) is coming in so strong, given an attic installation and a noise margin of only -6.9 dB. I had to go to 55-ft AGL and a much more powerful antenna to pull in a similar signal in my location. I think you found a nice little hot spot up there. Either that or the FCC report is wrong. In any case, getting all 5 networks plus The CW is a nice result. Good job.