TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 23-Jul-2013, 2:58 PM   #1
dminnick82

Need antenna advice - AA County MD

I'm looking for advice on which roof mounted antenna to purchase, and what direction to point it. I can spend around $100 on the antenna itself. I'd like to receive the Baltimore (NW) and DC (SW) stations.

TVFool Report here: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae2d800e5dd1

I am a new cordcutter and have existing wiring to 3 TVs. In the basement, I have a two-way splitter that runs 1 coax cable to the 1st floor (TV1, ~25 ft) and 1 to the 2nd floor (~30ft). The 2nd floor run is then split into two (TV2 ~25ft and TV3 ~10 ft). I will need to run around 30 ft of new cable from the roof to the basement to meet the first splitter. I'm not opposed to installing whatever amplifier's needed.

I currently have RCA rabbit ears on all three tvs and am only able to pull in a few of the uhf stations from Baltimore.

Thanks!
dminnick82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jul-2013, 6:41 AM   #2
teleview

The Baltimore Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels are strong signal strength and Easy to receive.

The DC Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels are a little weaker signal strength and a little less easy to receive.

For reception of both directions at the same time with 1 antenna.

Aim the antenna more in the direction of DC.

Aim a Antenna Craft HBU33 antenna at about 265 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

As always , the starting antenna aim direction is the --> starting antenna aim direction.

The antenna aim direction can be adjusted for best reception.

Most Digital Tv's have a signal strength meter and some digital Tv's also have a signal quality meter.

This antenna aiming information is No Big Deal , No Reason to go crazy and think of situations that will get you all tangled up.

Just stating a simple fact , Yes a antenna can be aimed for best reception.

Install a Winegard , LNA-100 'Boost' , antenna system amplifier.

As always , the roof and house will impeded and block reception.

Install the HBU33 antenna above the roof in such a manner the the roof and house are not impeding and blocking reception to the , North , North West , West , South West.

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative effect on Tv reception and so do buildings including your own roof and house and other obstructions.

The Tv's Must Channel Scan for the , OTA=Over The Air , Digital Broadcast Tv stations/channels , often named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv Setup Menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some digital tv's will Automatic cannel scan for cable tv channels.

DO NOT channels scan for cable tv channels.

Go into the Tv Setup Menu and select 'Air Channels' ~ 'Antenna Channels'.

Scan for channels.

Last edited by teleview; 24-Jul-2013 at 5:50 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.