TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 14-Jun-2014, 11:50 AM   #1
bob schalow

any suggestions for the correct antenna

The first time I tried to eliminate my current service provider and go with OTA only I failed. I went to a local retailer and bought an in home antenna for around seventy dollars connected it and only had about 20 channels with real channel 44 (7.1 ABC) coming in pretty good but no luck with real channel 12 (2.1 CBS) and grainy on and off real channel 29 (5.1 NBC).
The three channels above are all out of Chicago and about 38 miles away to the north (slightly west) below is my test results are: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c641c834ea03

Can anyone suggest a good outdoor antenna and mass for about $100 total cost if possible?
bob schalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Jun-2014, 11:54 PM   #2
bob schalow

help ?? correct antenna (New to this)

The first time I tried to eliminate my current service provider and go with OTA only I failed. I went to a local retailer and bought an in home antenna for around seventy dollars connected it and only had about 20 channels with real channel 44 (7.1 ABC) coming in pretty good but no luck with real channel 12 (2.1 CBS) and grainy on and off real channel 29 (5.1 NBC).
The three channels above are all out of Chicago and about 38 miles away to the north (slightly west) below is my test results are:http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c641c834ea03

Can anyone suggest a good outdoor antenna and mass for about $100 total cost if possible?

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 16-Jun-2014 at 4:00 PM. Reason: repaired TVFR link
Old 15-Jun-2014, 12:40 AM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Repaired TVFool link: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c641c834ea03

Your plot shows a very benign signal environment for your area. As long as you can get your antenna situated so it has a good, clear view towards Chicago, a small, high-VHF/UHF combo antenna should work ine.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Jun-2014, 12:29 PM   #4
bob schalow

thanks for antenna help

I've ordered a Winegard antenna HD7694p outdoor and hoping that will work. It sounds like it should. Thank you
Old 18-Jun-2014, 5:09 AM   #5
mshoward82

Rca ant751
mshoward82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Jun-2014, 5:31 AM   #6
GroundUrMast

The HD7694P would be plenty of antenna.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jun-2014, 1:11 AM   #7
bob schalow

thanks for the help

thanks for the help.

I just got the antenna today and hope to have it up and working over the weekend. I'll let you know and thanks again.
Old 26-Jun-2014, 9:43 AM   #8
bob schalow

signal strength for one channel?

I installed the HD7694p antenna and it seems to work good. I got local channel 2, 7, 9 and about 57 other channels. I have been told by some that 2 is one of the weaker signals in my area.
The small problem is channel 5 (5.1, 5.2, 5.3) comes in but is glitchy. Is this more antenna adjustment or do I need to amp up the signal?
My mast might not be quite high enough because the antenna doesn't completely clear my roof peek. is Which of the above is the likely fix?
Old 26-Jun-2014, 11:37 AM   #9
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
The small problem is channel 5 (5.1, 5.2, 5.3) comes in but is glitchy. Is this more antenna adjustment
Yes, it's an adjustment issue. The antenna is currently is a location where that particular channel's signal is impaired, usually due to an odd reflection or the antenna's proximity to something metallic that detunes it for a particular channel.

Move the antenna (up, down, left, back, forward, backward) at least 6" increments and try again. Repeat until a satisfactory location is found, it may take multiple attempts so be patient. Do NOT drill any holes until you have found a satisfactory location.

You do NOT need an amp, you have ample signal power available.

WBBM is usually the "problem child" in Chicago as it's the only station on a VHF allocation and requires one to use an antenna with high-VHF elements as you have. VHF is also far more susceptible to interference from electrical or electronic noise sources or from other licensed signals, notably FM radio.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 26-Jun-2014 at 11:41 AM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Jun-2014, 1:26 AM   #10
bob schalow

thanks again

Thank you for the advice, I'll move the antenna up as soon as I can and repost the results. This sight has been very helpful with OTA thanks again.