TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 12-May-2011, 2:01 PM   #1
angus

Question antenna help NH please

Hello. Shutoff Comcrap today. Please help with antenna advice. Here is my report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8d17407ef498b6

Info:
- No buildings or structures nearby. Very heavily wooded directly up to the house. Only open sky due W.
- Must have WMUR9.
- Other channels...hoping for as many channels as possible for low cost... Best bang-for-the-buck.

Feel free to talk basics. No offense taken...I'm treading on new ground here.

Many thanks.
angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-May-2011, 2:10 PM   #2
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus View Post
hoping for as many channels as possible for low cost... Best bang-for-the-buck.
WMUR: Y5-7-13 VHF only
Boston stations: 91XG UHF only. Cheaper UHF only antennas may work, but would increase the possibility of interference from WPXG and add to the likelihood that you would need a preamp.

The two antennas can be stacked on the same mast 2' or more apart.

Add them with a UVSJ. If you find that you need a preamp use a Winegard AP-4700. (Splits to more than 2 TV sets would increase the need for the preamp.)

You probably won't get WZMY with this set-up.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-May-2011, 3:07 PM   #3
GroundUrMast

Your TVF report title indicates an antenna elevation of 0'. I suspect that at roof top level, conditions will be a bit better. Reasonable effort to take advantage of the available elevation should offer improved signal quality.

Given dense mature trees close in, you will need to err toward the larger antennas. If WMUR is the 'must-have' that it sounds like, consider using a Y10713 instead of the Y5713. The XG91 is the 'big-gun' UHF antenna already.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 12-May-2011 at 3:32 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-May-2011, 3:57 PM   #4
angus

Great, thanks for the suggestions. The equipment does not cost as much as I expected. Is there a "step up" in cost that would benefit me in my area? Also, can this be done with a single antenna (are 2 necessary)?

Thnks.
Old 12-May-2011, 4:05 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

I would suggest you look at mast options. Safely putting an antenna at an elevation where it can intercept high quality signals and remain stable in tough conditions is worth a few dollars.

If you opt for a single antenna, you'll need a rotator. My personal experience with rotators has led me to find ways to avoid them if possible. Here you can see the lengths I've gone to avoid using a rotator while trying to receive as many stations as possible. But my choice involves more, not less antennas.

The two antenna solution specifically addresses your situation where there are stations of interest in multiple directions. If you have more than one receiver, you will find this arrangement far more viewer friendly. You would find it frustrating to be the viewer who does not have control of which way the antenna is aimed.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 12-May-2011 at 4:21 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-May-2011, 12:21 AM   #6
Tower Guy

Quote:
Also, can this be done with a single antenna (are 2 necessary)?

Thnks.
A single antenna will require a rotator. That's more expensive and a pain operationally.
Old 13-May-2011, 4:02 AM   #7
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Point the Y10713 at about 273 degree magnetic compass and the 91XG at about 212 degree magnetic compass. Here is how to point Tv antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-May-2011, 5:28 AM   #8
angus

Thumbs up

Thanks guys. I'll post my results after all this.

Agreed, a rotator is complexity I dont need for a tv antenna...(bunch of metal on a stick).

Can you recomend shaft/mounting options? This is a small ranch in the woods. I do not care about looks, but prefer not to puncture my new roof. Nearby trees are 50' plus.

Also, where to order this stuff? (A requirement is that I order *everything* all together...one stop shopping)

Thnks
Old 13-May-2011, 5:40 AM   #9
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Here are places to buy Tv antennas and etc.. http://www.3starinc.com , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.starkelectronic.com , http://www.amazon.com . For no holes in the roof , a tower , a chimney mount , peak of the roof eave mount.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-May-2011, 1:03 AM   #10
Tower Guy

Quote:
Can you recomend shaft/mounting options? This is a small ranch in the woods. I do not care about looks, but prefer not to puncture my new roof. Nearby trees are 50' plus.

Also, where to order this stuff? (A requirement is that I order *everything* all together...one stop shopping)

Thnks
I'm fond of wall mounts or eave mounts with a mast that extends above the roof.

Order on-line from Summit Source or Solid Signal. If you ever get to Worcester there's Stark Electronic.
Old 16-May-2011, 4:59 PM   #11
siriusxmfan

I just bought 2 Antennas and live in Southern NH, The first is a Antennas direct 91XG, I went online and found this place called buy.com and got it from them, though it came from a place called Solid signal. It was $52.99 and cost $10.00 to ship, total=$62.99 Then, got a Y5713 ch. 7-13 outdoor HDT antenna from radioshack, That was $26.99 and shipping was free, I looked online and down in Beveral mass I think it was, they had one in stock, but I sent away instead, only took three days. I now have a splitter coming from radioshack as well, Antennacraft 10G221 high-input preamplifier, that was $56.99 but since I ordered the other antenna and signed up to get emails from them, they sent me a $10.00 coupon, so I used it and shipping was free. Hopefully it will be here by weeks end. The 91XG Antenna was put together this a.m. and is across my living room table and over the two end chairs(It's long) but light. I hooked it up to the TV as I could not wait to see what it could do, Using a terk pre-amp from another antenna, I got 10 channels, CRYSTAL CLEAR then, I disconnected the pre-amp and 14 channels, again, all while the antenna is sitting on the dining room table!! I hooked up the YAGI(Y5713) and got NOTHING, but it was in my living room and I did not really expect any result. Best of luck, let me know how you do with your set up.
siriusxmfan is offline   Reply With Quote