TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 9-Jan-2012, 6:06 PM   #1
miltstheman

Looking for HD Fox network

Hi, I'm a DirecTV customer and late last year they switched Fox network providers from KMSP channel 9 in HD to KEYC channel 13 in SD. When I map my location to see if I can pick up the old signal I don't even see KMSP on the map. Am I reading it right? Is there a Fox HD provider in my area I could pick up with an ota antenna? I appreciate any help anyone can give me, I'm really bummed about watching sports in SD...

Here's a link to my map page; http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...7fb983b3809ae4

Thanks!
miltstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Jan-2012, 6:19 PM   #2
Dave Loudin

Quick answer: The other stations in your list are mostly repeaters (translators) of distant stations, one of which is KMSP. I'm still looking into which translator that is.

KEYC carries CBS in HD on its main digital stream (12.1) and FOX in SD on a subchannel (12.2). It's your local station, so that's why DirecTV switched to that FOX feed.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Jan-2012, 6:40 PM   #3
miltstheman

Thanks for the quick reply! I know I'm in KEYC's locale, they've been fighting for years to get everyone in their area switched to them. I was under the impression they offered their HD feed to DirecTV and DirecTV just isn't picking it up, it looks like they don't even have an HD stream for FOX?

So I guess I can't blame DirecTV, but I really want FOX to be in HD, I find sports unwatchable in SD on a HDTV. I don't know much about the tech involved, but if there is a way to get an HD signal to my home I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get it working, and appreciate any help I get along the way...thanks again.
Old 9-Jan-2012, 6:49 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

KMSP should be available with a highly directional UHF antenna aimed at either the Jackson (K30FO), Frost (K27FI) or St James (K14KE) translators.

Note - "Highly Directional" - it's important due to co-channel translators.

You'll likely have to treat channel 12 separately.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 9-Jan-2012 at 6:54 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Jan-2012, 7:00 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltstheman View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! I know I'm in KEYC's locale, they've been fighting for years to get everyone in their area switched to them. I was under the impression they offered their HD feed to DirecTV and DirecTV just isn't picking it up, it looks like they don't even have an HD stream for FOX?

So I guess I can't blame DirecTV, but I really want FOX to be in HD, I find sports unwatchable in SD on a HDTV. I don't know much about the tech involved, but if there is a way to get an HD signal to my home I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get it working, and appreciate any help I get along the way...thanks again.

K27FI looks as if it's the easiest signal to receive. It has no predicted adjacent or co-channel interference and the signal levels appear within easy reach of several antenna choices. Given the fact that most of the other signals in the area are facing interference issues, I'd recommend a roof mounted Antennas Direct XG91 aimed due east.

You may want to post another TV Fool report based on the mounting height of a roof top antenna, it's entirely possible that signal conditions may improve to the point that a smaller antenna will suffice.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Jan-2012, 7:03 PM   #6
miltstheman

Thanks, will I need a pre-amp as well? Jackson is only about 30 miles West of me, St. James is 40 miles Northwest. I would also need a way to get the signal to an upstairs and downstairs TV, is there a way to piggyback on the dish cable and split it at the TVs?
Old 9-Jan-2012, 7:12 PM   #7
Dave Loudin

It is possible for you to pick up a translator of KMSP to get FOX in HD. As a bonus, you will able to also get translators for the other Minneapolis/St. Paul stations.

After KEYC, there are a bunch of stations with wierd call signs in the table portion of your report. They appear to be in several groups, some at about due east with a 1-edge path and some at about due north with a line-of-sight path. The group to the east is licensed to St. James and the group to the north is licensed to Frost. Overall, the St. James translators are stronger at your location than the ones in Frost.

I recommend you install an Antennas Direct XG-91 antenna as high as practical. Given the predicted signal strengths, some might consider this overkill. However, if the translators to the east develop trouble, you can re-aim the antenna northwards to pick up the translators to the north. When pointing east, you will get FOX on 9.1 (HD) carried by K27FI and 9.2 (SD) carried by K29IF.
Old 9-Jan-2012, 7:14 PM   #8
Dave Loudin

Wow, nice to see we all agree!