TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 22-Jul-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
newpz

Question Please help with VHF low reception...

Hi all,

Here's my TV Fool report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae10dadf932f

I currently have a DB4e on my deck about 17' off the ground, pointed at 212ยบ towards Philly. Also have a Winegard AP8275 preamp installed with the FM trap off.

This works pretty well for receiving most of the channels I want - WTXF, WCAU and WKYW. However, I get no reception of WPVI on real channel 6. I've tried a custom length folded dipole that I made out of 12 gauge wire, but that didn't work. Also tried an old (but huge) RadioShack VU-190XR combo antenna that I had sitting around but that didn't pull it in either.

I've searched around all over, but it seems like not many people need to pull in VHF lo channels any more. I was looking at the AntennaCraft Y526, but I'm just not sure if it would give me any more chance of getting channel 6 than the VU-190 that I didn't have success with.

Can anyone give me any tips? Thanks!!
newpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jul-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
No static at all

Did you try the VU-190 connected directly to 1 TV with no amplifier? If not, I would try that first. If you have any chance of getting channel 6, the VU-190 should bring it in.

You have a 2300 watt FM station very close to you & I'm thinking the 8275 pre-amp is not a good fit because of it. The FM trap is usually not very effective under 90 Mhz, but I would try to see what happens. A more tolerant amplifier may be a better choice, or better yet no amp at all if at all possible. How many sets are connected to the antenna?

Go ahead & run an FM Fool report & see how close 89.7 is to your exact location & let us know.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-Jul-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
teleview

The roof and house will impede and block reception.

Get the VU-190XR Above the Roof.

The VU-190XR Must Be UP HIGH In The Air so as to have the best shot at reception.

If the VU-190XR is in good condition , not broken or corroded.

Replace the matching transformer (balun) that connects the antenna to the coax with a New Matching Transformer.

And connect a NEW Continues Length of Coax to the matching transformer and run the NEW Continues Length of Coax Direct to 1 Tv.

Aim the VU-190XR at about 224 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Digital Tv Tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

Do a Double Rescan , http://www.dtv.gov/rescan.html.

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have Negative effect on Broadcast Tv Reception and so do buildings including your own roof and house and other obstructions.

The Best Practice is to place the VU-190XR antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception.

Last edited by teleview; 24-Jul-2013 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 24-Jul-2013, 1:32 AM   #4
newpz

Thanks for all the suggestions. Here's some more info...

I messed up the model of the preamp I'm using - it's actually an AP8700. Sorry about that. I do have the antenna connected directly to one TV with about 60' of new coax. I use the preamp as I got a bunch of extra channels when I rescanned after adding it in and it didn't negatively affect what I was getting before adding it. I did try scanning without it using the VU190 and still didn't get channel 6. I have left the trap off and not tried with it turned on yet.

FM Fool says 99.1 is 28 kW and is 16 miles away, 89.7 is 1.2 kW and 5 miles away. I don't know much about FM interference - do you think this could be an issue? I just find it frustrating that I can get the 3 other major networks on UHF from Philly but can't even get a speck of WPVI when they're al broadcast from the same set of towers!

teleview, I do plan on trying to get the antenna up above the roof, but am currently stuck with it on the deck. My roof is tall and steep, and I lack a long enough ladder to get up there safely. Will get there one day. The antenna is in good shape, although the plastic clips that hold the elements in place are broken so I zip-tied them.

I was going to fiddle with the location of the antenna, but found this difficult because my TV takes like 25 minutes to do a scan. Each time I move the antenna I have to wait forever for the thing to rescan.

Is the VU190 pretty much as powerful for VHF lo as the few dedicated VHF-lo antennas that are available?

Thanks!!
newpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Jul-2013, 3:35 AM   #5
teleview

For better reception of the other Tv stations that you have listed and More Tv stations channels.

Install the DB4e above the roof in such a manner the the roof and house are not impeding and blocking reception to the , South West , South , South East , East , North East , West.
Old 24-Jul-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
No static at all

I suggest trying a Radio Shack FM trap & insert it between the VU-190 & 1 TV (no amp) to see if channel 6 appears. You can always return the trap if it doesn't help.

Could be man-made interference that is preventing channel 6 from being seen. Overhead power lines or various electrical devices inside the house can easily smash VHF-Lo signals that are weak. Move the antenna around as much as possible & re-try 6. Have you tried manually entering "6" or "6.1" to avoid having to re-scan?

Not sure if it is worth buying a higher gain antenna if you don't see channel 6 at all with the VU-190. If it is possible, you should be seeing something. If you really want to try a higher gain antenna, the Winegard YA-6260 has about twice the gain of the VU-190 on channel 6.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote